U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2015, 04:51 PM

153 posts, read 133,145 times

Advertisements

I always buy contacts from a place where i always bought glasses/contacts. The last time i bought contacts from them was few months ago and they had no issue of ordering it and me not having to get another eye exam.

I also read that walgreen and online sites actually sell contact lenses and they cost less than getting them at the store. However, they require a prescription. Does anyone know how much it would cost to go to a place and just get the prescription so i could purchase the same contacts later on? The thing is i have very bad vision but over 2 years ago i was told by the eye doctor that even though my eyes continuously get worst every year they won't change my biomedics prescription as its already very high.

Can someone explain how this process works so i could order contacts online and have it shipped to me? I could of course go back to the same glasses/contact store to do eye test and buy new contacts but i would want to have a prescription so say in a year or so when i run out, then i can order contacts myself but do it online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 05:24 PM

10,638 posts, read 20,778,169 times
I don't totally understand the issue or why it's in the NY forum, but what I do is wait til I run out of contacts (almost) and then go to the eye exam place and get a prescription. Should be about $75 if I remember correctly, but you could just call around to a few place to ask.

If I think I'm going to get lucky and have the same prescription two years in a row, I mark my calendar when the one year will be up from when the prescription was written, and I order another year's worth of contacts, and just skip that year's appointment. So if my appointment is October 15, 2014, then on October 10, 2015 or thereabouts, I will place another order so I get two years worth of contacts from only one doctor's visit.

I do this more because I hate appointments vs not wanting to pay the $75. I actually don't think $75 is that much for this type of thing, and it's probably smarter to go every year to make sure you aren't developing a problem like cataracts or macular degeneration, etc.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:14 PM

4,796 posts, read 4,683,087 times
Just go to the place and say you want a prescription only. They'll try to get you to buy contacts anyway, but you don't have to. Pay for the exam, get the script and there you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City