U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2015, 11:08 AM
 
9 posts, read 11,586 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Good Afternoon everybody,

Before I ask the questions, I will tell you guys a bit about my situation so that it will be easier for you guys to answer my questions more efficiently.

For starters, Im a lifetime resident of this city, so of course im already familiar with transportation, neighborhoods etc so we can skip that part. Right now im currently working through a temp agency...............................(BEFORE ANYBODY STARTS JUDGING ME OR ANYONE ELSE WHO ARE GOING THROUGH TEMP AGENCIES TO GET JOBS, LET ME JUST SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS. NOW A DAYS, IT'S VERY DIFFICULT TO GET HIRED AT JOBS DIRECTLY FROM THE COMPANY ITSELF AND NOW A DAYS, MANY, AND MANY PEOPLE GO THROUGH TEMP AGENCIES TO GET WORK. SO IF YOU'RE ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE WHO WOULD SAY.... " WHY ARE YOU GOING THROUGH AN AGENCY TO FIND WORK?"...,THEN ID SAY, YOU KNOW VERY LITTLE ON WHATS GOING ON IN TODAY'S JOB MARKET AND TO GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSES BECAUSE THINGS HAVE CHANGED FROM 20, 25 AND 30 YEARS AGO AND WE ARE IN MORE DIFFICULT TIMES SO IT'S NOT AS EASY AS PEOPLE THINK. IF IT WAS, MANY PEOPLE LIKE ME WOULD WORK FOR THE COMPANY)..................... Anyway, I am currently working at a long term job through a temp agency. HOWEVER, even though its a temp agency, i feel that it does count as a company, since many landlords do prefer someone whos worked for at least a year in the same company. I've been with them for over a year and they always find me work. The longest I've been without work from them is 2 weeks TOPS. And that's of course after the contract ends. And some of the jobs I get sent to are short term jobs and some are long term jobs (long term meaning 6+ months)

I started my long term job last week and I'm making $1650 a month. I have excellent credit, no kids, no car, no credit card payments and im just looking for a decent apartment to rent, preferably up in the Washington Heights area. I'm not looking for anything fancy such as fancy restaurants and other crazy things that many people look for when first coming here. Just a decent apartment. thats all. im also aware that in many places id have to make 40x the rent but since i dont make that kind of money, il be putting down 6 months or maybe even a years worth of deposit. Now here are my questions.....

1) if I wanted to rent an apartment that's $1300, even though I know that would be cutting it VERY close, would a large deposit such as 6 months or more possibly get me the apartment?

2) say for example, I put 6 months deposit. Does that mean I don't pay rent for 6 months?

3) Would anyone know of any real estate companies in that area that would accept more deposit since they are strict will the 40x rent rule?

Thank you everybody!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2015, 12:43 PM
 
901 posts, read 1,163,949 times
Reputation: 556
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2015, 12:49 PM
 
5,676 posts, read 5,151,203 times
Reputation: 3818
$1650 before or after taxes?
And most landlords won't rent to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2015, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Eric Forman's basement
1,688 posts, read 1,659,276 times
Reputation: 869
Assuming you're bringing home $1,650 a month, how would you ever pay $1,300 a month in rent? What would you live on? How would you buy food, pay for transportation and health insurance, Internet and phone bills? Not to mention medical care. You need to find someone to split the rent with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2015, 01:22 PM
 
484 posts, read 345,618 times
Reputation: 895
Default Other Options

Well, I won't judge you for working for temp agencies. I did that for years, and paid my way through school doing it. I think it's a smart way to get your foot in the door. So now you've done that, what's your next step?

Realities of rent -- I've never heard of a landlord renting to someone who has a large deposit (like a year's rent) instead of having them earning a monthly wage of 40 x the rent. And a deposit is just that -- it stays i the landlord's hands until he or she decides to give it back to you. Usually after you move out of the apartment.

Renting by Yourself
If your income is 1650/month before taxes, you will be able to convince a landlord to rent you an apartment that is $400 a month.

If your income is $1650/month after taxes, you could probably get a landlord to rent you an apartment with a rent of $500 a month.

Washington Heights doesn't have apartments available at those rents.

So you can do a couple of things -- look at other locations to rent, get a second job weekends/evenings or get a roommate or three. Roommates can be found through Craigs List or through agencies that specialize in matching up strangers to live together. If you can find a roommate who already has an apartment, so much the better. But if your share of the rent is going to be $400, you're probably looking more at a 3-4 roommate situation. Consider looking at roommate situations in the Bronx, Staten Island or some parts of Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2015, 01:31 PM
 
Location: New York City
372 posts, read 284,875 times
Reputation: 242
Get a roommate. You can't get your own place with that salary in New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2015, 03:04 PM
 
9 posts, read 11,586 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Assuming you're bringing home $1,650 a month, how would you ever pay $1,300 a month in rent? What would you live on? How would you buy food, pay for transportation and health insurance, Internet and phone bills? Not to mention medical care. You need to find someone to split the rent with.
Thank you for your reply. I mentioned before that id be putting down a large deposit. . I just found out that depending on how many months deposit I'd be putting down would be the number of months I'd be rent free. Plus if you have alot of savings in your account, food, phone cable bill wouldn't be too much of a factor. But I guess $1300 rent would be cutting it too close if I made $1600 a month. Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2015, 03:12 PM
 
9 posts, read 11,586 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks for the feed back guys. I guess il just have to find something that makes much more money than what I make now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2015, 03:47 PM
 
9 posts, read 11,586 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquring81 View Post
Well, I won't judge you for working for temp agencies. I did that for years, and paid my way through school doing it. I think it's a smart way to get your foot in the door. So now you've done that, what's your next step?

Realities of rent -- I've never heard of a landlord renting to someone who has a large deposit (like a year's rent) instead of having them earning a monthly wage of 40 x the rent. And a deposit is just that -- it stays i the landlord's hands until he or she decides to give it back to you. Usually after you move out of the apartment.

Renting by Yourself
If your income is 1650/month before taxes, you will be able to convince a landlord to rent you an apartment that is $400 a month.

If your income is $1650/month after taxes, you could probably get a landlord to rent you an apartment with a rent of $500 a month.

Washington Heights doesn't have apartments available at those rents.

So you can do a couple of things -- look at other locations to rent, get a second job weekends/evenings or get a roommate or three. Roommates can be found through Craigs List or through agencies that specialize in matching up strangers to live together. If you can find a roommate who already has an apartment, so much the better. But if your share of the rent is going to be $400, you're probably looking more at a 3-4 roommate situation. Consider looking at roommate situations in the Bronx, Staten Island or some parts of Jersey.
Yeah you have a point. I think for now, my only option is to rent a room until my situation gets better. I've even had thoughts of maybe moving to NJ as a last resort. The rents in Paterson, Jersey City and Ft Lee are also expensive but not ridiculously expensive and competitive as here. We'll just see how everything unfolds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2015, 03:53 PM
 
5,676 posts, read 5,151,203 times
Reputation: 3818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny38 View Post
Thanks for the feed back guys. I guess il just have to find something that makes much more money than what I make now.
You didn't answer if you make $1650 before OR after taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top