U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 06:02 PM

18,504 posts, read 11,920,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
My recommendation would be to simply not fund it and let it die. It does not look like people want it badly enough, most especially New Yorkers. When the TZ Bridge is upgraded, commuters can just bus from across the Hudson and catch the Metro North in Tarrytown.
Unfortunately for Amtrak passengers and those of NJT the Hudson River Tunnels are at or very close to the end of their natural lifespan. That and Super Storm Sandy caused much damage that needs to be addressed. Either way the things need to be shut down and repaired/renovated before they fall down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 11:16 AM

20,310 posts, read 26,692,450 times
Quote:

Phase 1 is nearly done and on schedule to open up end of next year
Many a chasm can open between "done" and "nearly done." And construction schedules are rarely writ in stone. All I pray is that nothing interferes with that touted Christmas, 2016, opening of Phase I and I will not believe any schedules until I take the first ride down Second Avenue on a Q-train.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:27 PM

23,368 posts, read 16,277,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Many a chasm can open between "done" and "nearly done." And construction schedules are rarely writ in stone. All I pray is that nothing interferes with that touted Christmas, 2016, opening of Phase I and I will not believe any schedules until I take the first ride down Second Avenue on a Q-train.
All projects including the 7 train go through a phase when they are nearly done. They will finish when they finish and if they get delayed so what. They will still open. It's nothing anyone on the sidelines can do about.

Nobody will care about what the construction schedule was once it's open. So far it is on schedule to open Dec. 16th and it is nearly done. You don't make plans around alternate realities or possibilities.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:

You don't make plans around alternate realities or possibilities.
I, like most sane people, DO.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I, like most sane people, DO.
You don't.

Tomorrow the entire sun could go supernova and the world could be destroyed.

But that hasn't happened, so life goes on.

Every time a major construction project is underway, any natural disaster or other catastrophe could screw things up. But project managers cannot take every alternative reality or possibility into account. They can only move forward and complete things to their best of their ability.

Therefore the projected opening date for the Second Avenue Subway is Dec. 16th. No one is coming up with outrageous scenarios that would screw that up, and even if a delay does come (big deal this can happen to any construction project) they will deal with it then and finish it.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:04 AM

I am not concerned about what plans "THEY" make, only the ones "I" make.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:17 AM

9,836 posts, read 21,603,971 times
I hope it gets spent efficiently and with an eye towards the future. My gut is not confident though I have to say.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:40 PM

Quote:
I am not concerned about what plans "THEY" make, only the ones "I" make.
Your plans do not effect anyone but you. The plans "they" make in this case the MTA affect large numbers of people.

So on topic the MTA isn't planning on a disaster when the project the Second Avenue Subway will open Dec. 16th. If something happens they will deal with it and the subway will still open whenever it does.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:

Your plans do not effect anyone but you. The plans "they" make in this case
the MTA affect large numbers of people.
And that is significant HOW?

The following was posted:

Quote:

Nobody will care about what the construction schedule was once it's open. So
far it is on schedule to open Dec. 16th and it is nearly done. You don't make
plans around alternate realities or possibilities.
And I said:" I DO."

and was met with: "YOU DON'T." <Someone PRESUMES to tell me how I make plans??>

and then the nonsense about what alternate plans the MTA makes or doesn't make. PREPOSTEROUS!

Old 10-18-2015, 12:01 AM

4,225 posts, read 3,525,044 times
Quote:
Grateful for Phase 2, but I doubt I will live to ride it up to ALDI's (117th.) Figure 20 years?

But I pray that increased concentration on Phase 2 doesn't do anything to slow down Phase 1.
doubt it's gonna take that long. a lot of the tunnel is already constructed for phase II. all they need is the tunnel boring machine to do the rest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or