U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-13-2015, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Bronx
432 posts, read 282,456 times
Reputation: 389

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Doom Dan, Pretty good list but with one exception. Why would you say the area is not friendly towards blacks? Are you basing this on an incident in 1986? The World Needs A Stronger Blog...: NYPD Investigates Alleged Howard Beach Hate Crime

Btw is Lindenwood considered HB or it's own area?
A couple of weeks ago my husband stopped at a bar in the area before setting off to the airport. He's a tall white guy. Everyone turned around to see him walk in (very tight knit scene). He ordered, and the bartender and people at the bar, white folks, started casually talking about "n*****s" and looking at him out of the corner of eye to watch his reaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2015, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
21,401 posts, read 28,196,671 times
Reputation: 9695
I really visited Howard Beach only once during that period where there were auction viewings every weekend for developments that wouldn't sell after outrageous overbuilding and recession. (Early 1990's or the dot.com bust of 2000-2001. I wish I had kept a journal to enjoy in my dotage. It was the one where nice sponsor owned co-ops with rent stabilized tenants paying less than the maintenance charge were going for $5000.)

I was impressed by Howard Beach...it felt like a nice, safe, clean, White, Italian New Jersey suburban town, Tony Soprano would have built a sprawling 5 bedroom home there. Had to love all the mini-shrines to the Madonna in front of many homes. Backs of the first floor apartments (with lowest reserve prices) were below grade so I imagine they have been flooded several times by now.

Less impressed with the condo development that I had come to perhaps bid on. Very impressed that I could park a few steps from the development.

I cannot comment on the public transportation because we drove in from Jersey City.

Last edited by Kefir King; 10-13-2015 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2015, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Ridgewood, NY
3,039 posts, read 5,910,417 times
Reputation: 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
So if I were to use your methodology then whites should be very on alert entering predominately black areas? BTW what happen in 2007? I posted a link where 30-40 blacks from East NY came into the area and attacked whites. Five blacks were arrested but it never really gained any traction with the media.
Have you not read a single "Is it safe" thread on city-data? Or have you been living under a convenient rock while these threads are taking place? There's topic after topic after topic about any predominantly Black area and whether it's safe for SWF to walk in or what areas to avoid, etc. Why shouldn't the same apply for an area that has traditionally been hostile to black people as well? Furthermore, there's nothing wrong with pointing out something that anyone whose lived in this city for years already knows about HB... For the record, I'm a light-skinned Hispanic who can pass for Italian depending on who you ask and even I felt a little anxious walking around there as recently as 5-10 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2015, 08:24 AM
 
2,228 posts, read 3,077,204 times
Reputation: 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Beth View Post
A couple of weeks ago my husband stopped at a bar in the area before setting off to the airport. He's a tall white guy. Everyone turned around to see him walk in (very tight knit scene). He ordered, and the bartender and people at the bar, white folks, started casually talking about "n*****s" and looking at him out of the corner of eye to watch his reaction.
What was the name of the bar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2015, 08:28 AM
 
2,228 posts, read 3,077,204 times
Reputation: 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Have you not read a single "Is it safe" thread on city-data? Or have you been living under a convenient rock while these threads are taking place? There's topic after topic after topic about any predominantly Black area and whether it's safe for SWF to walk in or what areas to avoid, etc. Why shouldn't the same apply for an area that has traditionally been hostile to black people as well? Furthermore, there's nothing wrong with pointing out something that anyone whose lived in this city for years already knows about HB... For the record, I'm a light-skinned Hispanic who can pass for Italian depending on who you ask and even I felt a little anxious walking around there as recently as 5-10 years ago.
Switch to decaf bro. I just disagree with the whole premise of the argument. 2 incidents have been covered by the left wing NYC media ad nauseam. One incident happened in 1986. The second incident was street justice. That kid was given a harsh sentence because of the previous death. Where is this unbridled bastion of hatred towards blacks? That's not a fair question to ask?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2015, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Bronx
432 posts, read 282,456 times
Reputation: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
What was the name of the bar?
It's the bar outside of the Howard Beach station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Switch to decaf bro. I just disagree with the whole premise of the argument. 2 incidents have been covered by the left wing NYC media ad nauseam. One incident happened in 1986. The second incident was street justice. That kid was given a harsh sentence because of the previous death. Where is this unbridled bastion of hatred towards blacks? That's not a fair question to ask?
You're the only drama queen in this thread, son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2015, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
9,847 posts, read 22,122,031 times
Reputation: 3543
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Pros-
Primarily Italian American
Safe neighborhood, probably the safest of all of South Queens
Very Suburban
Very Clean
Plenty of Parking
Decent Schools
Cross Bay Blvd is a decent commercial strip

Cons-
Airplane noise, neighborhood is right by JFK
Neighborhood was hit hard by Hurricane Sandy a few years ago
Neighborhood has a history of not being very friendly towards Blacks

I use to live nearby in Ozone Park and still work in Howard Beach a few days a week so I know the area very well.
Not trying to start something but how is it being mostly Italian American a pro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2015, 09:00 AM
 
2,228 posts, read 3,077,204 times
Reputation: 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Beth View Post
It's the bar outside of the Howard Beach station.



You're the only drama queen in this thread, son.
Really, Why don't you look up the Marine Park thread? Funny how different standards apply. I don't feel an ugly terrible incident in 1986 should indict a whole area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2015, 10:30 AM
 
3 posts, read 7,210 times
Reputation: 11
I'm always in Howard Beach to eat at the restaurants as Ozone Park (my hood) has much less variety to offer. We were actually thinking to move here at one point because the neighborhood is cleaner, better homes, better schools, great parks (Charles Park) but after the hurricane we changed our mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2015, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Glendale NY
4,841 posts, read 8,200,326 times
Reputation: 3523
Quote:
Originally Posted by meribon929 View Post
I'm always in Howard Beach to eat at the restaurants as Ozone Park (my hood) has much less variety to offer. We were actually thinking to move here at one point because the neighborhood is cleaner, better homes, better schools, great parks (Charles Park) but after the hurricane we changed our mind.
I was going to move from Ozone to Howard myself back in 2007 but I moved to Glendale since the rents at the time were cheaper. After Sandy I'm glad I made that decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top