U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 08:30 AM

6,886 posts, read 7,834,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSopp77 View Post
I already identified the problem, and I don't know what bankers have to do with people receiving a hand in public assitance ...

I know, know. I understand. It's all so difficult and complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 08:33 AM

9,945 posts, read 7,706,609 times
Add the $250k wasted on some useless research to the $1m to be spent on useless marketing and give it to the useless but able people to move and not come back.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:33 AM

205 posts, read 160,371 times
Yes it is the Bankers that are causing these people to be poor not in only income levels but social skills, intelligence and work ethic as well. Why are NYCHA buildings the only buildings when you clearly smell urine in the elevators in every building? Its the rich men holding them back!

Old 10-12-2015, 08:40 AM

14,876 posts, read 17,437,255 times
Quote:
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2393396

What a laugh this is... Beggers cant be choosers. I guess they would rather live in a high crime neighborhood... Beggars cant be choosers this is unreal
This past couple of days I have been watching and reading articles about gentrification in legacy cities such as NYC, DC and SF. This is another article that speaks the truth about the current situation of inequality in NYC.

First off I want to say is that gentrification in NYC only benefits a certain number of people. If one does not have a college degree from a 4 year university, has a business or does not own a property and located in immediate areas of the city, these folks will have problems to maintain their lively hoods in such areas. Folks wont be able to compete against the new comers, and face the wrath of being priced out or being marginalized by those with higher income.

I often find it amazing how gentrification can hug and circumnavigate around the housing projects, creating a tale of two cities scenario. Property across the street from housing projects are cheaper forcing landlords to sell for a quick buck or two. But the most important of these that are in inner city gentrifying neighborhoods where property is more desirable around or near housing projects for folks or businesses to buy into. NYCHA residents do not earn enough money to enjoy the spoils of gentrification. They also do not have the academic, and skills to obtain certain jobs that the gentry are employed in. If lucky enough NYCHA residents may enjoy benefits of new establishments and to a certain degree safer streets outside of the housing projects.

Big problem for NYCHA residents will be food, how can they shop for food in gentry neighborhoods if low income and affordable super markets vanish? Along with the rising costs of certain services who do not like to cater to NYCHA residents to fear of safety and lack of money of residents.

The big problem for the gentry will still be crime to a certain degree, but also public schools which are mainly attended by children who live in NYCHA. The gentry may support a magnet or charter school built in their neighborhoods, if not private school or move back to suburbia.

I don't know what the city wants to do with NYCHA, if its going to be served for housing for the affordable, low income. What NYCHA needs to do is pay those with adequate incomes and that still reside in NYCHA to leave via a buyout of $5000. Or if the city wants to improve NYCHA, projects in gentry neighborhoods should be sold off and converted into first time homeowners or coops.

Overall this study shows that a tale of two cities exist and is not going anywhere anytime soon. The study is also a waste of money and could have been done easily and cheaply by interviewing NYCHA residents willing to volunteer. Or by using a CUNY school to allow a class to have a case study on the basis of gentrification around the housing projects.

The next mayor of NYC needs to do something face or come up with an idea that can help out the average, but at the same time not scaring the crap out of fiscal conservatives that live in Manhattan and two-faced apologetic liberals that live in Manhattan and immediate areas of Western Queens, Upper Manhattan, Western Brooklyn, Southern tip of the South Bronx. The city needs to find a way on how to create talent for its locals from academics to athletics and everything inbetween instead of attracting talent from elsewhere. Also try to find away to keep local businesses going belly up to larger entities. But again commercial rent space is no joke either. Everyone is worried about affordable rent to live, but what about affordable rent to maintain businesses?

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 10-12-2015 at 09:03 AM..

Old 10-12-2015, 08:42 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,986,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Wonderful pizzeria with $8 lasagna large enough to feed 3 adults across the street (at 94th) was driven out of business.
Driven out of business how?

There are two groups in the neighborhood. Those in public housing, and those who can afford not to be in public housing--which in a regentrifying neighborhood are typically not the rich until the public housing is long gone but rather young families with good enough jobs and credit to pay market pricing, but not good enough to do so in the best neighborhoods.

I highly doubt that Whole Foods has forced a local pizza and pasta place out of business. It was between a rock and a hard place--if it raised prices the people in public housing wouldn't come, and if kept them the same it couldn't pay the bills. Not wanting to subsidize those in public housing with below cost meals, it exercised the only option it had, and closed.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:46 AM

2,682 posts, read 3,577,682 times
The city should do more to help mom-n-pop buisnesses and working class stores stay in buisness, however, to somehow complain about a neighborhood getting better is ridiculous. It's been shown over and over again that large masses of entrenched poverty are not good for the poor especially.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:52 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,986,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
What NYCHA needs to do is pay those with adequate incomes and that still reside in NYCHA to leave via a buyout of $5000. Or if the city wants to improve NYCHA, projects in gentry neighborhoods should be sold off and converted into first time homeowners or coops.
This is a very valid statement.

There are far too many people currently living in public housing who have no valid reason to be there. This is causing the city to continue to hold real estate which could be sold for a handsome profit, and is keeping those who truly need public housing shut out.

I know of at least three couples in NYC currently occupying apartments in PH (Mitchell-Lama) who make more than double (in one case triple) the cut off which I think is around $80K. Instead of being told to find a new place to live, they simply pay some extra on the rent--but are still paying less than 70% of FMV rent for the apartment.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:01 AM

4,914 posts, read 5,532,518 times
Quote:
Yes it is the Bankers that are causing these people to be poor not in only income levels but social skills, intelligence and work ethic as well. Why are NYCHA buildings the only buildings when you clearly smell urine in the elevators in every building? Its the rich men holding them back!
I say this all the time. What does being poor have to do with living like a savage and destroying the confines of where you live? I can guarantee you that if you swapped all the rich who live on Park Ave with the poor who live in the projects along the east river in the Lower East Side, within 6 months those Park Ave buildings will start to look and smell just like your typical NYCHA building.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:05 AM

10,626 posts, read 20,759,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
The city should do more to help mom-n-pop buisnesses and working class stores stay in buisness
You can support the Small Business Jobs Survival Act. SBJSA

Old 10-12-2015, 09:08 AM

205 posts, read 160,371 times
they are savages that is why most of them are poor. It's not politicians it's not bankers telling them to **** on the elevator and speak like an idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City