U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 10:35 AM

969 posts, read 2,007,876 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be in NYC for 6 days beginning Thursday, and we are looking forward to it. We are looking for the best Caribbean in the city. Specifically a place with fried ripe plantains, conch soup, and conch fritters.

Also, any other places that are a must-eat in NYC regardless of cuisine.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 11:09 AM

425 posts, read 254,511 times
In lower Manhattan I recommend Negril Village located in Greenwich. I took my cousin there when he visited with his family and it passed muster with flying colours. (We have Jamaican heritage). There was something for everyone - including two kids, and a pescatarian. I've been back since to try more on the menu. Nice seating and intimate lighting.

Negril Village - New York Restaurant - MenuPages Caribbean, Jamaican Restaurant Search - Menu

Old 10-12-2015, 12:02 PM

4,174 posts, read 3,471,826 times
Anywhere in Flatbush, Brooklyn

Old 10-12-2015, 12:23 PM

14,924 posts, read 17,476,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
My wife and I will be in NYC for 6 days beginning Thursday, and we are looking forward to it. We are looking for the best Caribbean in the city. Specifically a place with fried ripe plantains, conch soup, and conch fritters.

Also, any other places that are a must-eat in NYC regardless of cuisine.

Thanks in advance.
Caribbean is a broad term. Do you mean Cuban food, Haitian cuisine, Dominican, Anglo Caribbean food like Jamaican and Trinidadian?

Old 10-12-2015, 12:47 PM

425 posts, read 254,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Caribbean is a broad term. Do you mean Cuban food, Haitian cuisine, Dominican, Anglo Caribbean food like Jamaican and Trinidadian?
Good question. The narcissist in me naturally assumed Jamaican
OP mentioned conch soup so perhaps he or she is looking for Bahamian cuisine, though every island has its version...

Old 10-12-2015, 01:08 PM

292 posts, read 482,249 times
Many places will use "Caribbean" style even if the place is mostly Jamaican, Trini, etc.

My recommendations are just my opinion since I went to these restaurants; feel free to research and listen to other suggestions:

The Door (Jamaican) - 163-07 Baisley Blvd, Jamaica, NY 11434; Been here numerous times when they were just a small place; now they have expanded (sit down restaurant)

Gloria's (Trinidadian) - 764 Nostrand Ave, New York, NY 11216 (eatery/bistro)

Sugarcane (Caribbean/Jamaican) - 238 Flatbush Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11217 (restaurant) very pricey from what I remember

Suede (the food is a combination of Caribbean-style dishes. I must say the wait time for food was horrific but the food was delicious) - 5610 Clarendon Rd, Brooklyn, NY 11203

Footprints - 4814 Clarendon Road, Bklyn NY 11203 and 1521 Surf Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11224: wait times are unpredictable though. The Clarendon Road location food (I think) is subpar, they used to be really good but now they are other Caribbean competitors.

Fish Eye Bar and Grill: I went there on a Saturday night. We just had appetizers that were decent enough. I heard Friday night is popping and they play good music - 5913 Foster Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11234

A&A Bake and Doubles Shop (not a restaurant; hole in the wall place that has very delicious doubles, :-) - 481 Nostrand Ave, Bkyln, NY 11216

MangoSeed - I never been to it but heard about it (positive reviews); hopefully, you check it out - 757 Flatbush Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11226

I never been to the following places except for one (Sugar Bar) but other folks have and rave about them; they are classified as "Caribbean" but I feel they are more "Spanish or Afro-Cuban, Southern, etc. https://foursquare.com/top-places/ne...caribbean-food

Someone mentioned Negril's in the West Village; they are good but pricey. They have a lounge downstairs though so you can party a bit. I don't know what are their "busy and fun" nights since it's been a while since I have been there.

There are many other places as well that I probably checked out but aren't really Caribbean but a mixture of styles (Southern-Cajun, etc). You can also go to Alann's Bakery for some nice hard dough bread, currant rolls, etc.

There is always Golden Krust if none of the options work out, :-).

Last edited by Nyalltheway; 10-12-2015 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: Adding a link

Old 10-12-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Beth View Post
Good question. The narcissist in me naturally assumed Jamaican
OP mentioned conch soup so perhaps he or she is looking for Bahamian cuisine, though every island has its version...
That is a good question, and I didn't think to differentiate. My wife is Belizean, so maybe it would be closer to the Trinidad variety, but any Caribbean is good with us as long as Conch soup and fried plantains are on the menu.

HellUpinHarlem, I read that Flatbush is the place to go for Caribbean. We will have to try it out.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:19 PM

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions. Looking forward to seeing the city.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:00 PM

1,219 posts, read 974,778 times
Any black neighborhood in Brooklyn...

Old 10-12-2015, 06:55 PM

186 posts, read 145,829 times
It all depends .. best places to me are the mom and pop stores, because they can deliver that authentic taste .. try a few different and test them out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or