U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 12:39 PM

19 posts, read 10,645 times

Advertisements

I spoke with the neighbor 2 weeks ago. She says she ordered a whole new bathtub assembly which would take 2 to 3 weeks to arrive. (Still waiting as of today.)

She seemed nice enough and said she would fix the tub (leak) and also talk to her insurance company to cover my ceiling repairs. I am not naÔve to believe that it’s all good now. But I am cautiously optimistic (e.g. she could have been nasty about it but she wasn’t).

Will see what happens. Thank you for all your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 12:50 PM

64,745 posts, read 66,226,110 times
do not be surprised if regardless of what she thinks, her insurer deny's your claim . thy generally will not cover the claim of others unless their insured was negligent . her saying it and the insurer actually covering something that was not based on negligence are 2 different things

Old 10-26-2015, 03:51 PM

20,162 posts, read 26,460,446 times
Well negligence certainly comes into play when the upstairs neighbor runs water into what she knows is her cracked bathtub.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:14 PM

could be , but the insurers will determine who's responsibility it is . if she notified the building and they did nothing she may not be the issue .

Old 10-27-2015, 05:50 PM

8,234 posts, read 8,512,384 times
Good luck - keep us posted.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:02 PM

20,899 posts, read 22,704,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies888 View Post
I spoke with the neighbor 2 weeks ago. She says she ordered a whole new bathtub assembly which would take 2 to 3 weeks to arrive. (Still waiting as of today.)

She seemed nice enough and said she would fix the tub (leak) and also talk to her insurance company to cover my ceiling repairs. I am not naÔve to believe that itís all good now. But I am cautiously optimistic (e.g. she could have been nasty about it but she wasnít).

Will see what happens. Thank you for all your advice.
Take photos ASAP.

Get the Insurance information from your neighbor and call them to verify that there is actually a claim and get that claim number. Keep in mind that if you have to go through your insurance company then you will have to pay your deductible.

sidenote: If the super was able to place tape on the tub or its connection to the floor and stop the leak, then this is not a in the wall problem and thus not a co-op problem.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:33 AM

not true , the water pipe that feeds the sink outside the wall in my son's co-op rotted out from the inside flooding two floors below .

when his insurer said there was no negligence and it is a building installed fixture the two owners sued . both were told by the judge these are co-op issues and there is no recovery from my son because there was no negligence .

Old 10-28-2015, 04:13 AM

20,899 posts, read 22,704,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
not true , the water pipe that feeds the sink outside the wall in my son's co-op rotted out from the inside flooding two floors below .

when his insurer said there was no negligence and it is a building installed fixture the two owners sued . both were told by the judge these are co-op issues and there is no recovery from my son because there was no negligence .

Totally different situation. There was probably no tap at the wall to bring the sink up to current code. No tap, no cut off valve to shut off if pipe burst/corroded. Thus a co-op issue.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:05 AM

judges ruling was since everything was original and unchanged by him it was a building issue not his issue even though the sink is external . they had a valve but weren't home .

Old 11-10-2015, 02:15 PM

19 posts, read 10,645 times
Well it's now a month later since the neighbor said she ordered a new tub assembly. I checked with her over the weekend and she still hasn't received it. About insurance, although our initial talk was pleasant, I really didn't expect it to go smoothly as in her insurance easily gives me a check to hire a contractor.

I spoke to my insurance, and they would only allow for a paint job without even looking at my photos of the damage (I offered but the adjuster declined to look at them), which would not exceed my deductible so I would be paying for it. Neighbor says her insurance company wants the building to take responsibility but good luck with that.

So I expect quite a drawn out headache coming up.

The building is so old (1960s). My friend, who lives on the same floor as I, told me today her downstairs neighbor complained about a leak. Also bathtub...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or