U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,091 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

I have been a fan of the NYC Skyline for many years. I have visited the city many times and I loved looking up at all the skyscrapers. But with all the new, ugly skyscrapers under construction there, I am worried that the skyline could become a lot uglier. Here are some examples of some ugly buildings being built, I am giving my opinion of why each is ugly:
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________
1. 111 West 57th Street-Looks too tall for how skinny it is. It will be the skinniest skyscraper in the world with a width to height ratio of 1:24-WOW. I understand land is hard to find in Manhattan, but the design could have been better:

http://therealdeal.com/wp-content/up...4/111-w-57.jpg
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

2. 30 Hudson Yards-Alone the skyscraper does not look bad at all, but with the rest of the complex, it just does not look right. A little too futuristic for the NYC skyline in my opinion.

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.co...7585507745.jpg

3. 56 Leonard Street-Uh, what can I say about this? Hmmm, looks like pieces are falling off the building, or an earthquake hit and mangled it up. I don't care where it is built, it will ruin the skyline.

http://cdn-img3.streeteasy.com/nyc/i...1/40167191.jpg

4. 2 World Trade Center-One World Trade Center is very impressive in my opinion with a height of 1,776 feet-tallest in America. But the second building in the complex is very strange looking. Looks like cubes stacked in some strange order with plants growing off the tops of them. This does NOT fit with the rest of the buildings in the complex and I prefer the old design WAYYYY over the re-designed one.

Old design:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._%28CGI%29.jpg

New design:http://www.mconception.com/images/wo...-new-super.jpg

http://archrecord.construction.com/n.../2wtc/1_ss.jpg

5. 80 South Street-I don't know what to say. Once again, it could look good in the right situation, but in NYC it would not fit the skyline and just looks too futuristic. Alcohol can create some pretty interesting structures.

http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/...r.slidesix.jpg

I believe that modern architecture can be done well and contrast with the 30s style buildings well. For example, look at One World Trade Center. It is an excellent edition to the NYC skyline and I'm glad it was built. Looks great at night. Or what about One and Two Liberty Place in Philadelphia? People thought it would ruin the skyline, but in the end, it made it better and more unique to Philadelphia. But these new buildings just don't look right with all the older buildings still there. Maybe they will improve the skyline, I don't know. But I don't see it happening. Remember this is my opinion which will most likely be different from yours, so please do not post harshly. After all, I do prefer the older style of architecture.

If you decided to hang around and read all the information above, thanks! Please post your comments below on what you think about these structures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 06:35 PM

8,389 posts, read 19,619,570 times
All I know is that I have often found myself hating new buildings in NYC and elsewhere only to find myself changing my mind and liking them years or decades later. I am also sure there were lots and lots of negative opinions on places like The Empire State Building and The Chrysler Building when they were first put up. I remember clearly how many( maybe most?) hated the World Trade Towers when they first went up.

Because of this I now try to give architecture a bit of time before I make a final judgement.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:52 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,547,302 times
I don't get why the height of buildings includes the spire, it should go by roof height in my opinion

Old 10-13-2015, 12:48 AM

4,841 posts, read 7,856,745 times
I agree that the building at west 57 street just looks retarded. Looks like a glitch in a old video game.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:56 AM

3,057 posts, read 6,134,352 times
Many people have negative opinions of the Freedom Tower. I'm fine with it!

But that stick of match known as West 57.......! (LOL!)

Old 10-13-2015, 05:45 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,628,302 times
Actually, I don't think so.

I think that new skyscrapers (1995+) are much more attractive than buildings from the 1950's-1985. Most buildings back then literally used to be black, brown or gray boxes. At least these newer buildings have interesting/unique shapes and more appealing colors (shades of blue).

But I do agree that if they keep building those thin residential skyscrapers, they will steal away attention from the iconic landmarks like the ESB, Chrysler bldg, citicorp, whoolwirth bldg, etc, etc

Old 10-13-2015, 05:47 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,628,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Many people have negative opinions of the Freedom Tower. I'm fine with it!

But that stick of match known as West 57.......! (LOL!)
I'm not a big fan of the Freedom Tower, I think it looks extremely plain. And plus the spacing on the WTC site looks very awkward.

Now, if they built twin Freedom Towers then that would be much more appealing and be a great symbol to rebuilding bigger and better.

http://i.imgur.com/3ydBoet.jpg

Old 10-13-2015, 07:02 AM

728 posts, read 492,670 times
I don't mind newer, more futuristic looking buildings, in fact NYC needs them if we want to keep up with what a modern skyline looks like, so many world cities have us beat on that front.

My only concern is that new construction doesn't obstruct views of some of the beautiful classic buildings we have. There should be strong regulations in that regard.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:05 AM

2,310 posts, read 4,812,001 times
The skyline used to take my breath away and it doesn't anymore. It might be that I'll just never get over the lack of Twin Towers.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:10 AM

3,231 posts, read 3,473,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
I'm not a big fan of the Freedom Tower, I think it looks extremely plain. And plus the spacing on the WTC site looks very awkward.
How can you judge the spacing when they haven't even build all the skyscrapers at WTC yet?

111 West 57th street is the best god damn skyscraper going up right now, you guys are crazy. Its super tall and skinny, which visually should make it look even taller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or