U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 08:13 AM

2,386 posts, read 5,277,742 times

Advertisements

I am planning on going there this Sunday from a friend who is coming out of town. I haven't been there in sometime but I saw admission is 25 bucks and free on Friday (a day I won't be able to go). The 25 buck entry makes me cringe and I really rather not pay that much but my friend has been dying to go and I don't want to let her down.

Is there any other way I can get into MOMA for a lot cheaper? Its just hard for me to justify paying 25 bucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 08:43 AM

996 posts, read 943,833 times
This happens to me all the time whenever out-of-town friends and family come to tour NYC. I level with them. I say that I want them to see or do whatever they want most on their vacation, but "as someone living here all the time I have to watch my budget." I don't go with them to big-ticket Broadway shows, for example.

So ask your friend to choose: either you'll meet up with her afterwards in the neighborhood after she tours MOMA alone, or she can pick a different museum where costs are pay-as-you-choose (for example, Metropolitan Museum of Art which has a decent sampling of modern art, or Brooklyn Museum of Art although their moderns are more what's happening now in Brooklyn.. certainly not the great Abstract Expressionist display or special exhibitions at MOMA).

If she's passionate to see MOMA, as your OP suggests, and not just "a great museum" then don't keep her from MOMA. Just meet her afterwards. MOMA has much more modern art than the other museums, by far.

If, hearing you have a budget, she volunteers to treat you to a MOMA admission, say "thank you" and don't fuss. If you're hosting her, it's probably costing you a bit of side-money or inconvenience. Any good guest should treat you to something, especially if she's sleeping over.

Realize too that, in keeping with its mission as the Museum of Modern Art, MOMA has to give away things older than 50 years. So if she's trying to see "modern" meaning Picasso or Barnett Newmann or Jackson Pollack, some of those have already gone over to the Metropolitan for display already. Ask her to look at the Met website's modern selection, to see if that would satisfy her enough for the compromise.

Good luck.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 10-13-2015 at 09:08 AM..

Old 10-13-2015, 08:55 AM

64,601 posts, read 66,129,695 times
most museums have a suggested admission posted and you can give what you want .

moma demands an admission price of 25 bucks . but their medieval arm the cloisters is quietly by donation if you can't pay full price .

moma is free with a bank of america credit card the first week end of every month and free if you get the nyc id card.

http://cheapinthecity.com/index.php?...seums-for-FREE

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-13-2015 at 09:07 AM..

Old 10-13-2015, 04:38 PM

10,606 posts, read 20,739,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
moma is free with a bank of america credit card the first week end of every month and free if you get the nyc id card.
MoMA is not included in the Bank of America free first weekend, and it's also not included in the benefits of the NYC ID card.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:46 PM

museums on us must have removed it , we always went to the cloisters with it .

yeah , i see they have moma's ps 1 on the city id card but not moma .

oh well at 25 bucks to get in they can forget about us going there .

Old 10-13-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
museums on us must have removed it , we always went to the cloisters with it .

yeah , i see they have moma's ps 1 on the city id card but not moma .

oh well at 25 bucks to get in they can forget about us going there .
But the Cloisters is part of the Met, not MoMA.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:24 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,827,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post

Realize too that, in keeping with its mission as the Museum of Modern Art, MOMA has to give away things older than 50 years. So if she's trying to see "modern" meaning Picasso or Barnett Newmann or Jackson Pollack, some of those have already gone over to the Metropolitan for display already. Ask her to look at the Met website's modern selection, to see if that would satisfy her enough for the compromise.

Good luck.
Not sure what you might mean by things going over to the Met - they are different museums. MoMA does not give things away older than 50 years. Where could you have gotten this idea ? Even I never heard that one.

Any case ... At MoMA, the Newmans and Pollocks are in the last galleries on the 5th floor, having been moved to make room for the major Picasso exhibition on the 4th - sculpture. Along with a lot of important art far older than fifty years.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:26 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,827,199 times
Quote:
most museums have a suggested admission posted and you can give what you want .
Only certain museums, and there it is meant to be New York residents. Not that they check.
There is a lawsuit though and it might change things at the Met.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
But the Cloisters is part of the Met, not MoMA.
aaaah that is right , my mistake ..... now it makes sense .

Old 10-13-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
Realize too that, in keeping with its mission as the Museum of Modern Art, MOMA has to give away things older than 50 years. So if she's trying to see "modern" meaning Picasso or Barnett Newmann or Jackson Pollack, some of those have already gone over to the Metropolitan for display already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Not sure what you might mean by things going over to the Met - they are different museums. MoMA does not give things away older than 50 years. Where could you have gotten this idea ? Even I never heard that one.

Any case ... At MoMA, the Newmans and Pollocks are in the last galleries on the 5th floor, having been moved to make room for the major Picasso exhibition on the 4th - sculpture. Along with a lot of important art far older than fifty years.
True, some of the most important works in the collection are more than 100 years old, like Van Goghs and Cezannes. It's a museum of modern art, not necessarily just contemporary art.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City