U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 12:24 PM

263 posts, read 396,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I'm considering the purchase of a part time residence in Brooklyn. One property is located in Williamsburg on S 1st Street (Driggs Avenue -- Roebling Street), while the other is in Boerum Hill on Pacific Street (Nevins Street -- 3rd Avenue).

My main criteria would be subway access, restaurant choices, and social activity (I'm not a big partier per se, but it would be nice to have some enjoyable lounges, coffee shops, bars, etc. around).

Just wondering which location people would prefer and why? If one of the locations is particularly unappealing, please explain why -- I am not that familiar with either locale.
I know that exact Wburg location, and it's a good one. right on the north/south border and the difference is basically negligible. Access to both the J and the L train. Tons of stuff to do on Driggs, Bedford, and you are right near Grand - which has its own slew of great things to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 12:30 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,482,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I'd go with Williamsburg. Its a much more happening neighborhood. Many more restaurants and many more bars and much more shopping. And the J and L trains take you right into the most trendy neighborhoods in Manhattan.
The Boreum Hill location has definitely more shopping and subways. He is like near 12 subway lines in Boreum hill.....

Old 10-13-2015, 12:34 PM

728 posts, read 494,618 times
Pacific Park is not a neighborhood. That area is typically just referred to as Downtown Brooklyn.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:45 PM

4,176 posts, read 5,306,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
Pacific Park is not a neighborhood. That area is typically just referred to as Downtown Brooklyn.
Thanks for the clarification. Do you have any thoughts as to where Downtown Brooklyn would rank as compared to Williamsburg and Boerum Hill? Is it a little slower in terms of a residential area?

Old 10-13-2015, 12:51 PM

9,945 posts, read 7,706,609 times
Quote:
Where would you rate Pacific Park (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Park,_Brooklyn) in this comparison? At first, I thought it would be the lowest of the three, but it looks like Prospect Heights is quite popular. Perhaps its appeal has gone up since Barclays Center opened.

Wasn't sure if it would be the best choice as I am single and do not plan to have a family of my own (at least not anytime soon), so perhaps PH would be a little slow for me. I'm also a bit of a loner, so it's nice to have a fair amount of activity (dining, coffee shops, nightlife, etc.) in close proximity to get me out of the house as I've gotten quite good at staying home alone.
Prospect Heights is more of a family neighborhood. Great if you love big parks.

Boerum Hill is kind of an in between area between Downtown Brooklyn and Park Slope. So you'll have some nice brownstones with some quasi homeless looking people wandering around because there are services nearby towards Downtown Brooklyn. Historically the area was simply referred to as Gowanus.

People are going to hate on Williamsburg on this forum because of how trendy it is. It is a fun neighborhood, and most here are downers. Look on Yelp and you'll see how much more volume of restaurants that Williamsburg has compared to any other neighborhood in Brooklyn.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
The Boreum Hill location has definitely more shopping and subways. He is like near 12 subway lines in Boreum hill.....
Shopping at big box stores like Target and Macys does not count. Trendy people want Williamsburg. That is just what it is.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:57 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,482,438 times
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. Do you have any thoughts as to where Downtown Brooklyn would rank as compared to Williamsburg and Boerum Hill? Is it a little slower in terms of a residential area?
Right now its definitely much slower than both. In the future, who knows? Most of the Pacific Park buildings haven't been built yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Shopping at big box stores like Target and Macys does not count. Trendy people want Williamsburg. That is just what it is.
There is all kinds of shopping near Boreum hill, not just the Atlantic mall. Fulton mall is close that has Nordstrom Rack and CityPoint with Armani Exchange and more in the future, and of course Atlantic avenue itself, Smith St (Trader Joes), etc.

"Trendy people" live all over northwest Brooklyn.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
There is all kinds of shopping near Boreum hill, not just the Atlantic mall. Fulton mall is close that has Nordstrom Rack and CityPoint with Armani Exchange and more in the future, and of course Atlantic avenue itself, Smith St (Trader Joes), etc.

"Trendy people" live all over northwest Brooklyn.
Fulton Mall is the worst. I doubt she is buying a pied a terre in Brooklyn to shop at either the Fulton Mall or the Atlantic Mall. Williamsburg is where the highest concentration of trendy boutiques are, not Boerum Hill. It is also where the restaurants and bars are. Sure other Brooklyn nabes have many also, just nowhere close to as many as you'll find in Williamsburg.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:00 PM

1,844 posts, read 1,095,637 times
Fulton Mall became even more big box than when I lived around there in 2010. I can't even find the smoke shop I used to get $7 packs of cigarettes at anymore, nor the place that sold Queen 7 piece bed sets for $20.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:16 PM

4,176 posts, read 5,306,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1973 View Post
I know that exact Wburg location, and it's a good one. right on the north/south border and the difference is basically negligible. Access to both the J and the L train. Tons of stuff to do on Driggs, Bedford, and you are right near Grand - which has its own slew of great things to do.
Does Williamsburg win pretty easily when it comes to dining? That's definitely one factor that I consider although, after entering both addresses into GrubHub, I think the BH project actually had more total restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or