Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 11:13 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,598 times

Advertisements

I'm considering the purchase of a part time residence in Brooklyn. One property is located in Williamsburg on S 1st Street (Driggs Avenue -- Roebling Street), while the other is in Boerum Hill on Pacific Street (Nevins Street -- 3rd Avenue).

My main criteria would be subway access, restaurant choices, and social activity (I'm not a big partier per se, but it would be nice to have some enjoyable lounges, coffee shops, bars, etc. around).

Just wondering which location people would prefer and why? If one of the locations is particularly unappealing, please explain why -- I am not that familiar with either locale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 11:21 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
If you are young/single/not planning on kids in the near future then Williamsburg. If you are married, have kids or plan on having kids, then Boerun Hill.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:23 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
Of those choices, I'd prefer Boerum Hill. It has more subways and I'm a lot more about convenience. I'm a little biased though as I don't particularly want to live in Williamsburg.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Of those choices, I'd prefer Boerum Hill. It has more subways and I'm a lot more about convenience. I'm a little biased though as I don't particularly want to live in Williamsburg.
Why do you prefer not live in Williamsburg?

Old 10-13-2015, 11:31 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
I'd go with Williamsburg. Its a much more happening neighborhood. Many more restaurants and many more bars and much more shopping. And the J and L trains take you right into the most trendy neighborhoods in Manhattan.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I'd go with Williamsburg. Its a much more happening neighborhood. Many more restaurants and many more bars and much more shopping. And the J and L trains take you right into the most trendy neighborhoods in Manhattan.
Is the N vs S Williamsburg divide really that noticeable? This particular property in considered S Williamsburg, but it's not that far south of Grand Street.

How do the two sides of Williamsburg differ?

Old 10-13-2015, 11:39 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
Quote:
It is true that you do have train access relatively nearby (J train by Marcy), the L would be a little further down by Lorimer. That said, that area isn't the most happening part of Williamsburg by a long shot. There's not really much to do around that specific section as the majority of buildings around there are old apartment buildings and a couple of new condo buildings that have recently gone up. Of those two specific choices, I would choose Boerum Hill over that section of Williamsburg. However, if you can afford a more lively part of Williamsburg and trendy is what you're into, I'd go for WB.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:45 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Why do you prefer not live in Williamsburg?
Not a fan of the L or J trains, and I find Boerum Hill much more aesthetically pleasing. You will have more fun in Williamsburg, but I find these days that I only travel there for its food (Peter Lugar, Radegast, etc.). My fun involves raves in BedStuy, College Point, Pelham Bay, Coney Island, Elmhurst, etc. If I want bars, I just go outside my doorstep in the Lower East Side.

I personally like denser neighborhoods though, which is one reason why I adore the Lower East Side, Washington Heights, etc. I also love the brownstones of south Brooklyn (Sunset Park, Bay Ridge), ritzy architecture of Upper West Side, art deco of upper Manhattan and the Bronx, English tudor style of Forest Hills Gardens, tenements of the Lower East Side, etc. I find my love of an architecture style, safety, and commute dictate me more on where I want to live rather than if an area is fun haha.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:45 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Is the N vs S Williamsburg divide really that noticeable? This particular property in considered S Williamsburg, but it's not that far south of Grand Street.

How do the two sides of Williamsburg differ?
Yes, but its vanishing rapidly. And you're on the border so I don't think its an issue where you are looking. Its a very central location. Grand and Metro are the main strips, which are both very close by to your exact location.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Yes, but its vanishing rapidly. And you're on the border so I don't think its an issue where you are looking. Its a very central location. Grand and Metro are the main strips, which are both very close by to your exact location.
Where would you rate Pacific Park (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Park,_Brooklyn) in this comparison? At first, I thought it would be the lowest of the three, but it looks like Prospect Heights is quite popular. Perhaps its appeal has gone up since Barclays Center opened.

Wasn't sure if it would be the best choice as I am single and do not plan to have a family of my own (at least not anytime soon), so perhaps PH would be a little slow for me. I'm also a bit of a loner, so it's nice to have a fair amount of activity (dining, coffee shops, nightlife, etc.) in close proximity to get me out of the house as I've gotten quite good at staying home alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City