Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 09:24 AM

153 posts, read 219,280 times

Advertisements

Are you guys here to actually answer the Q or convince yourself there's no place better than NYC? LMAO

Of COURSE NYC pays more..it's also 4x more expensive to live here! With that being said...NYC is paying as low as many rural parts of the country..It's a real shame.. I know people literally making MORE per dollar in places half the cost of here.

Anyway..it's clear some people are just here to complain that there's nowhere like NYC and nowhere HOURS away that is worth living...lol..What a miserable existence..

Nobody said you live in a castle and save thousands per month living outside of NYC..but do you get a house twice as big, have parking, a backyard, space from your neighbors, cleanliness, 10x less crowds (and IDIOTS) and not have to fight for ketchup packets without both spouses having to kill themselves working 60 hour weeks? Yep!

Most people I know here seem to be living with parents until their 30s to save (because it's that darn expensive), renting a basement apartment, sharing a place with 10 roomies...all college educated and working...I know most spouses BOTH work only to pay someone else to watch their kid and live in a 2 bed condo.. Not impressive at all to me.

So far from my research, Pennsylvania IS looking like an awesome bet. I lived near the Great Lakes as a single 20 year old YEARS back..and I did just fine then so I'm sure I won't die with a family..I'm not a needy groupie anyway so I don't rely on the "night life", "culture" and so called "energy" of a city..not at this rate of living and misery lmao! BYEEEEE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 10:54 AM

10,053 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Was wondering if the original OP has looked into Staten Island? Staten Island has single family homes for sale in neighborhoods closer to the Manhattan ferry stop for about $150 to $250k--really great deal for NYC.

More of a suburban type feel with grass, parks, and not as crowded as the other 4 boroughs. Still in NYC and able to raise a family more cheaply.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Was wondering if the original OP has looked into Staten Island? Staten Island has single family homes for sale in neighborhoods closer to the Manhattan ferry stop for about $150 to $250k--really great deal for NYC.

More of a suburban type feel with grass, parks, and not as crowded as the other 4 boroughs. Still in NYC and able to raise a family more cheaply.
I actually have seen that it's much more affordable but really realllly have no desire to be close to NYC..I guess I could consider it but I heard somewhere Staten Island used to be on a landfill or there's some kinda toxic mess there..Not sure..

Also..one way in and out..not sure about that haha..Wouldn't say I would TOTALLY shoot it down..Just heard the most affordable places are kind of like the hood which I want to avoid. I want space and "suburbs" haha

Old 10-18-2015, 12:20 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaSol View Post
Are you guys here to actually answer the Q or convince yourself there's no place better than NYC? LMAO

Of COURSE NYC pays more..it's also 4x more expensive to live here! With that being said...NYC is paying as low as many rural parts of the country..It's a real shame.. I know people literally making MORE per dollar in places half the cost of here.

Anyway..it's clear some people are just here to complain that there's nowhere like NYC and nowhere HOURS away that is worth living...lol..What a miserable existence..

Nobody said you live in a castle and save thousands per month living outside of NYC..but do you get a house twice as big, have parking, a backyard, space from your neighbors, cleanliness, 10x less crowds (and IDIOTS) and not have to fight for ketchup packets without both spouses having to kill themselves working 60 hour weeks? Yep!

Most people I know here seem to be living with parents until their 30s to save (because it's that darn expensive), renting a basement apartment, sharing a place with 10 roomies...all college educated and working...I know most spouses BOTH work only to pay someone else to watch their kid and live in a 2 bed condo.. Not impressive at all to me.

So far from my research, Pennsylvania IS looking like an awesome bet. I lived near the Great Lakes as a single 20 year old YEARS back..and I did just fine then so I'm sure I won't die with a family..I'm not a needy groupie anyway so I don't rely on the "night life", "culture" and so called "energy" of a city..not at this rate of living and misery lmao! BYEEEEE
The statement in bold is often underemphasized, IMO. Positions in NYC will, generally, pay more than those in less expensive areas but, in many (if not most) cases, the increased compensation is nowhere near enough to make up for the massive increase in COL and taxes. Jobs may pay an extra ~20% but that's nothing when rent alone is more than twice as high and that's excluding other costs which are also much more than 20% higher. If the difference in take home pay is $10K per annum, the difference in rental costs is likely to be much more than that, so the NYC premium has already been more than wiped out before a slew of other increased costs are factored in.

IMO, if one is considering relocation to NYC, it's best to assume upfront that the move will cost them quite a bit in terms of financial freedom, space, and perhaps other areas such as overall QoL.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:07 PM

10,053 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
I actually have seen that it's much more affordable but really realllly have no desire to be close to NYC..I guess I could consider it but I heard somewhere Staten Island used to be on a landfill or there's some kinda toxic mess there..Not sure..

Also..one way in and out..not sure about that haha..Wouldn't say I would TOTALLY shoot it down..Just heard the most affordable places are kind of like the hood which I want to avoid. I want space and "suburbs" haha
Ah, well you are referring to the "Fresh Kills" landfill, which used to be one of the largest landfills in the US. However, it was located in Western Staten Island and encompasses a tiny portion of the entire island of Staten Island. It was closed in 2008 or 09 and is now a park, and becoming rehabilitated. I would check out different neighborhoods if it's an option.

I've heard great thing about Staten Island all-in-all. Home values will only appreciate.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:48 PM

34,004 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:

Have you reached out to other C-D members on the NJ/PA forums? What have you found out so far from them?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-18-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
The statement in bold is often underemphasized, IMO. Positions in NYC will, generally, pay more than those in less expensive areas but, in many (if not most) cases, the increased compensation is nowhere near enough to make up for the massive increase in COL and taxes. Jobs may pay an extra ~20% but that's nothing when rent alone is more than twice as high and that's excluding other costs which are also much more than 20% higher. If the difference in take home pay is $10K per annum, the difference in rental costs is likely to be much more than that, so the NYC premium has already been more than wiped out before a slew of other increased costs are factored in.

IMO, if one is considering relocation to NYC, it's best to assume upfront that the move will cost them quite a bit in terms of financial freedom, space, and perhaps other areas such as overall QoL.
Thank you! That's all I'm saying lol.

People want so hard to believe the grass is greener here..but it isn't...it's cement..with friggin' manure on it!

Alright..enough from me. It's clear to everyone I am done with NYC. To each their own. I can understand why some people born here may not be eager to leave their comfort zones but to act as though you can't do better outside of here makes me worry I'm dealing with disillusioned psychotics lol..

Over 99.9% of the people living here are NOT wall street/financial service big boys or ANYTHING of that nature...although people like to bark about how you make 90k and up here..99.9% are NOT..and when the average mortgage NOWADAYS is $4,000/month for a 3 bed house (after you figure in property tax, insurance and utilities which are INSANE)..that's a REAL big issue..not to mention that after you're done having your butthole raped with that..you get to deal with rats, roaches, homeless people, traffic jams, bitter winters and hellish summers and a trigger-happy FINE & fee city..lmao..no ..just no!

I can't stand this mindset and will happy to be away from it. I've lived in so many places in the country and the mindset here has got to be the worst...but it ain't my problem

Old 10-18-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Have you reached out to other C-D members on the NJ/PA forums? What have you found out so far from them?
I'm about to hit up the PA forum. PA is looking pretty good out of CT/NJ/NY and the rest..

Old 10-18-2015, 06:21 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:

I can't stand this mindset and will happy to be away from it. I've lived in so many places in the country and the mindset here has got to be the worst...but it ain't my problem
It kind of seems like you have made it your problem since you keep ranting and raving about it. I gave some very good suggestions earlier in the thread but whenever I come back here to check for anything of interest in the new replies, I see rants from you.

Some people like it here and find it's worthwhile for them to live here. You don't. OK, fair enough. Why the continued rants? It's very repetitive.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:22 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post

There's no real way to qualify this though. It depends on the career one is seeking in NYC and how successful one is it at.

I tend to assume top bankers, executives, etc aren't concerned about a ****ty little house in the suburbs. They send their kids to private schools, buy penthouses, and live a different lifestyle. Teachers, cops, firemen, professors, etc generally buy houses and co-ops in the NYC area.

If you're that worried about rent long term it shows poverty..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City