Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,028 times

Advertisements

I just had an encounter with my boyfriends landlord who has threatened to increase his rent because
1) I am apparently there way too often and sleep there sometimes during the week (I am a resident assistant at a university so I have proof that I live elsewhere)
2) there are too many people who come to visit

Does he have the right to increase the rent because he claims that I live there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 01:48 PM

110 posts, read 159,041 times
Read your lease

He can increase the rent to whatever level he feels like if your bf lives in 1-5 units building

6-8 units , he can't

Old 10-18-2015, 01:52 PM

230 posts, read 430,417 times
You live in NYC. Check with the housing authority. They will know.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:09 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
If you are in a regulated unit - nope.

If you are in a market-rate unit, something for which many here advocate given the "protections for tenants" that the "invisible hand" allows - sure.

Perhaps people will finally do the math.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:14 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,710 times
Does it really matter to anyone, other than you, if you also live and pay rent somewhere else? Your additional presence in the bf's apartment causes more wear-and-tear there. although his security deposit would address any actual damages. If utilities are included in his rent, presumably there's more used in heat and water when you're home and he isn't. And nobody wants to quantify any of that, really. So there's a concept of "number of legal residents" that's written into many leases. An occasional guest might be considered part of peaceful habitation, but a steady guest can begin to be like another legal resident.

You can argue it until kingdom come, but do you think if the bf starts spending a lot of time at your place, he can get a discount on his rent? No logic there.

Some points to look for in bf's lease:

Language in my tenants' "boilerplate" (standard) lease for a 3 unit buildng specifies the maximum number of legal residents. That's probably in a lot of leases.

On advice of realtor and lawyer, we added many riders to the lease. One says it's in "sole discretion" of the LL to determine at what point a guest has become resident. Since we had to add this language, I'm guessing it's a gray area between parties that gets argued about a lot.

Be careful that you don't cause the LL to declare your bf's lease void and put him on a one-month's notice. Maybe you should be paying some rent towards his place, or can make an adjustment.

My FIL sold furniture. When someone complained in the store about the cost of a rocking chair, he'd say it costs the same, whether or not you sat on it twice a day or twice a year. So he encouraged them --if they bought it--to rock in it a lot, so they'd feel like they got their money's worth.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
Does it really matter to anyone, other than you, if you also live and pay rent somewhere else? Your additional presence in the bf's apartment causes more wear-and-tear there. although his security deposit would address any actual damages. If utilities are included in his rent, presumably there's more used in heat and water when you're home and he isn't. And nobody wants to quantify any of that, really. So there's a concept of "number of legal residents" that's written into many leases. An occasional guest might be considered part of peaceful habitation, but a steady guest can begin to be like another legal resident.
Not bad advice, but the "legal residents" thing - if applied frivolously - is a sure sign of a problem landlord and/or someone who wants to "build a case" for whatever reason, usually $$$$$$$$$.

Conversely, they never investigate these apartments with 91 African immigrants (legal and not) residing with the original tenants. You see these around here. Many have illegal businesses they are operating from the apartments.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:23 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,710 times
Good point. I'm a resident landlord in a 3-unit, so I know and care what's going on here. I try to make up for that by being very quick to repair things. It goes both ways, but I don't want people taking advantage of me and moving in people.

It's good for me to read more about larger issues of tenants around the city. I only have my one building, and it's my home also. It's really an emotional difference there.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
Good point. I'm a resident landlord in a 3-unit, so I know and care what's going on here. I try to make up for that by being very quick to repair things. It goes both ways.

The resident landlord is a true rarity. All of the problem buildings - and there are so many - are owned by large investment groups whose main players live very very far away. In fact, most have never lived here.

Thus ... such actions are strategic with little to do with an actual problem.

I personally believe that this should be the law here, local ownership and resident owners.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:40 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
The resident landlord is a true rarity. All of the problem buildings - and there are so many - are owned by large investment groups whose main players live very very far away. In fact, most have never lived here.

Thus ... such actions are strategic with little to do with an actual problem.

I personally believe that this should be the law here, local ownership and resident owners.
This would not only benefit the tenants but also the owners.
I for one am not for air bnb or subletting but people get away with it cause they don't have landlords that around.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
This would not only benefit the tenants but also the owners.
I for one am not for air bnb or subletting but people get away with it cause they don't have landlords that around.
Nor I - at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: