Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 05:19 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,481,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
We all die alone, even when there are people in the room. What does it matter if no one notices, after we're gone? We're dead. What do we care?
All good points.

Please remember that it is the body that dies, not the person within. However, afterwards, they are laughably unconcerned with their worldly goods left behind. Even the corpse itself was just 'borrowed' to live in during this life; it is not that person, and returns to "dust".

It seems near impossible to defile the dead. They have escaped our earthly grasp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 08:31 AM

1,653 posts, read 2,305,846 times
I read that article in it's entirety and no matter how you look at it it's a sad ending for anyone. He never got over that woman he was engaged to.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:14 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,233,404 times
Haven't read article yet, been a very busy week for me but it does seem intrusive. I will read it when I get a breather. Yeah yeah the guy is dead but a part of me wants to respect his wishes. He wanted to be alone and made his decisions, there should be some respect for that. Even if you have a lot of family and people close to you there is no guarantee that when your time comes you will have a great support system around you. Those nearest to you might die or you might grow apart over the years. It happens and is very normal albeit sad.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:33 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,074,137 times
Life is just a ride that one day will be tiring of riding and exit and then find a new ride.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:06 PM

4,192 posts, read 4,075,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
I read that article in it's entirety and no matter how you look at it it's a sad ending for anyone. He never got over that woman he was engaged to.
Don't you think everyone has something they never got over? Even if they lived a "good" life.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:45 AM

298 posts, read 270,748 times
I read the story. Yes, it was sad. But let's be real here: He allowed himself to go under. The guy never got over this woman who rejected him because the mother insisted on a prenuptial. Really? If I want to marry someone, I don't care what my mother has to say about it.I do it. George needed to move on. Second, the whole barfly thing. He was all about bars and you don't meet the marrying type of women in bars, most of the time. He spent years in nothing but bars. You come across depressed, miserable and often weird folk in bars.They attract the lower fringes of society. He got a job related injury and stopped working. He took workers comp and SSI. He had diabetes and then the weight gain issue. You don't stop living and give up on life. You maintain your diabetes, maybe stop the bars, take care of your weight issue; get out and meet people.He seemed very friendly. He got depressed and just gave up. And then the hoarding began. I have a guy down the street from me who passed away last year. His life was pretty much identical to George's. "Sam" was like George.Of course it's sad that we have people like this. Not everyone is strong enough to move past the hurdles of health, aging, and other life events. It's not just George. There are tons of women like this.

Old 10-25-2015, 03:27 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,575,400 times
The topic of dying alone in the NY Times article last Sunday 'The Lonely Death of George Bell' was about dying without any living relatives or no close relatives or no existing friends or acquaintances where no one knows if you are dead or alive.

The topic was not about dying while your kids are at the movies or away for the weekend.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:10 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,305,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Don't you think everyone has something they never got over? Even if they lived a "good" life.
I do. There is a difference between not getting over it and not moving on. Some of us are lucky enough to do both.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:57 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erauso1592 View Post
I read the story. Yes, it was sad. But let's be real here: He allowed himself to go under. The guy never got over this woman who rejected him because the mother insisted on a prenuptial. Really? If I want to marry someone, I don't care what my mother has to say about it.I do it. George needed to move on. Second, the whole barfly thing. He was all about bars and you don't meet the marrying type of women in bars, most of the time. He spent years in nothing but bars. You come across depressed, miserable and often weird folk in bars.They attract the lower fringes of society. He got a job related injury and stopped working. He took workers comp and SSI. He had diabetes and then the weight gain issue. You don't stop living and give up on life. You maintain your diabetes, maybe stop the bars, take care of your weight issue; get out and meet people.He seemed very friendly. He got depressed and just gave up. And then the hoarding began. I have a guy down the street from me who passed away last year. His life was pretty much identical to George's. "Sam" was like George.Of course it's sad that we have people like this. Not everyone is strong enough to move past the hurdles of health, aging, and other life events. It's not just George. There are tons of women like this.
Then the issue is not that he died alone, but that he had lived recent years (if not decades) alone and totally miserably to the point where he was not in touch with ANYONE.

The job related injury may have made things worse for him. Sometimes coworkers can be a big social part of someone's life. It doesn't seem like he was into church, civic issues, or academia, so what other social outlet could the poor guy have had? He had no support networks.

I don't think that bars are all bad, but if that's all you do that obviously can be very bad for very obvious reasons.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:41 AM

119 posts, read 110,756 times
The act of being born involves two or more people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
As pointed out previously in theory we all leave this earth the way we came; alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City