Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 11:34 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,782,268 times

Advertisements

If you have to live north of E 96th, why bother to live in Manhattan?

The only area I would recomend north of E 96th on the east or 110th on the west is the western areas of Inwood and Washington Heights above E 181st along the Hudson. Basically west of Broadway. Even those areas have their problems.

East Harlem is still poor and ghetto, and unless you like hearing shots fired at night, police sweeps on your building and constant drug traffic you won't like it. East Harlem has public housing on almost every block, and more to come. Most of the community is on gov't assistance.

And murder in Harlem is up 40% this year. Unlike other areas, when murder is up in Harlem, it's a cause for concern. Due to the fact there are many more murders here then other areas.

The South Bronx is still bad, it has improved from the state it once was but the place is still a strait ghetto. The North Bronx is also pretty bad now. Wakefield, Ollinville, Baychester, Williamsbridge, Edenwald, these areas have a lot of violent crime, killings and drug traffic due to Jamaican cartels. Their are sections of the East and Northwest Bronx to look into. Country Club, Throgs Neck, City Island, Pelham Bay, Morris Park, and Riverdale for example. Also Woodlawn.

I don't know too much about Queens, although I heard South Jamaica, Saint Albans, and Hollis are ****holes. Also Far Rockaway, but I know that for myself. Corona also has a bad rep, and East Elmhurst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2006, 04:57 PM

38 posts, read 144,288 times
Default manhattan apt

listen, unless your making a good 6 figure salary get the city out of your mind. Why play 70 % of your take home on rent. Millions of people commute daily and they survive. BTW try living in 1 or 2 rooms in the city, you will be outside every minute... spending money

What type of lifestyle are you trying to duplicate? There are neighborhoods in the five boros that rival major cities. I just vacationed in St. Petes..walked around the "City" on Sunday morning ..ran into 12 people.

The only people making 45 K and living in the city are 20 years olds, living 4-5 to an appt with their parents contributing when necessary.

Here,s an example. My niece, just graduated from Penn State, is now working in event mgmt at the Met, starting salary 50K, she and two others found a 2 bedroom /2 bath for 4700.00 in a doorman bldg. The 3-way split makes it feasible. Good luck

Old 12-02-2006, 10:01 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,049,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker283 View Post
listen, unless your making a good 6 figure salary get the city out of your mind. Why play 70 % of your take home on rent. Millions of people commute daily and they survive. BTW try living in 1 or 2 rooms in the city, you will be outside every minute... spending money

What type of lifestyle are you trying to duplicate? There are neighborhoods in the five boros that rival major cities. I just vacationed in St. Petes..walked around the "City" on Sunday morning ..ran into 12 people.

The only people making 45 K and living in the city are 20 years olds, living 4-5 to an appt with their parents contributing when necessary.

Here,s an example. My niece, just graduated from Penn State, is now working in event mgmt at the Met, starting salary 50K, she and two others found a 2 bedroom /2 bath for 4700.00 in a doorman bldg. The 3-way split makes it feasible. Good luck
There is really no affordable part of the five boros or even the suburbs of NYC anymore. Unless you are looking to move way out in Suffolk county to places like Patchogue or Shirley or south of Monmouth County in NJ where $350,000 still buys you a real house and you can rent an apartment for $1,200 a month.

Places that used to be regular middle or working class like Jackson Heights, Astoria, Rego Park or Forest Hills are now shockingly expensive where apartments rent for close to or over $2,000 a month and where one bedroom co-ops start at $275,000 + $600 a month for maintenance and requires board approval to purchase.

And splitting $4,700 three ways comes to $1,566 per person. Based on the 40 times the monthly rent rule, she would need to make at least $62,000 to even qualify. How does she do it?? I make around $75,000 a year and find that I barely get by and I rent a $840 studio in Flushing Queens. And apparantely I make 'too little' according to real agents to rent a bigger apartment since it would cost at least double what I am paying but maybe more like close to $2,000 for a small one bedroom in the Flushing area.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
If you have to live north of E 96th, why bother to live in Manhattan?

The only area I would recomend north of E 96th on the east or 110th on the west is the western areas of Inwood and Washington Heights above E 181st along the Hudson. Basically west of Broadway. Even those areas have their problems.

East Harlem is still poor and ghetto, and unless you like hearing shots fired at night, police sweeps on your building and constant drug traffic you won't like it. East Harlem has public housing on almost every block, and more to come. Most of the community is on gov't assistance.

And murder in Harlem is up 40% this year. Unlike other areas, when murder is up in Harlem, it's a cause for concern. Due to the fact there are many more murders here then other areas.

The South Bronx is still bad, it has improved from the state it once was but the place is still a strait ghetto. The North Bronx is also pretty bad now. Wakefield, Ollinville, Baychester, Williamsbridge, Edenwald, these areas have a lot of violent crime, killings and drug traffic due to Jamaican cartels. Their are sections of the East and Northwest Bronx to look into. Country Club, Throgs Neck, City Island, Pelham Bay, Morris Park, and Riverdale for example. Also Woodlawn.

I don't know too much about Queens, although I heard South Jamaica, Saint Albans, and Hollis are ****holes. Also Far Rockaway, but I know that for myself. Corona also has a bad rep, and East Elmhurst.
Really.. Is this true?? Or is this an exerpt from 1989. Every neighborhood has been gentrified and sanitized. The North Bronx was never bad and Corona is no worse than Jackson Heights or Rego Park.

If you are so scared of minorities then you can spend $3,500 for a tiny one bedroom apartment in Manhattan.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker283 View Post
And spend hundreds of dollars a month or spending 90 minutes each way just to commute from another boro into Manhattan.

Even commuting from Ronkonkoma costs $300 a month the same with most places in NJ unless you make $200,000 a year and can live right near a PATH station.

Old 12-03-2006, 07:35 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,782,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
Really.. Is this true?? Or is this an exerpt from 1989. Every neighborhood has been gentrified and sanitized. The North Bronx was never bad and Corona is no worse than Jackson Heights or Rego Park.

If you are so scared of minorities then you can spend $3,500 for a tiny one bedroom apartment in Manhattan.
Only some neighborhoods in NYC have come close to being gentrified in sanitized. Some have, some havn't. Just a week ago we had a police shooting in Jamaica Queens that has really damaged police-public relations in low income areas (as though they are not bad enough). A week before that, police shot and killed a man on the street armed with a machine gun, in the same area. A couple of weeks ago, we had 2 police shootings in 1 day. Followed by another 2 days later.

The North Bronx has changed a ton. It was once White and Middle class. Today Williamsbridge, Wakefield and Ollinville along White Plains Road is now low income. The area became Jamaican, and drug cartels took over the trade in the area. These gangs are extremely violent. A police officer was shot chasing a member into a building on White Plains Road last year. Baychester along Boston Road is also very sketchy. Edenwald and Boston Secor projects are very violent. A large public housing complex in Mount Vernon is just a few blocks north of Boston Secor. That creates havoc in the area.

I never worked a precinct in the North Bronx, but I know many who have. There have also been times I had to go into the projects and nasty areas up there. The atmosphere is very serious. Cops use extreme caution when looking for perps up there. A bit more then usual. The Jamaican gangs are very well armed, and very loyal. Even family members refuse to cooperate with police for example.

There are neighborhoods in the North Bronx much worse then Corona for sure. Especially around White Plains Road, north of Gun Hill Road. Way more drug activity.

BTW, I am a minority. I also grew up in some of the worst areas in the city. I lived in this city for MANY years and I have seen the changes. Some areas have changed for the better, some pretty much the same, some have become worse. Many of the lower income areas face the EXACT same issues.

Last edited by Hustla718; 12-03-2006 at 08:43 PM..

Old 12-21-2006, 08:31 PM

18 posts, read 80,220 times
Nickl28 i work for a real state company near the empire state building and yes there are studios in the 1800's so far we have not rented anything for 7000.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:13 PM

500 posts, read 2,855,798 times
I was last year in a 1-bedroom near Times Square that was 1,700. A friend just moved to the East Village: 1 bedroom, 1,600. I am now in a real 2-bedroom in Midtown. I pay 2,100. Apartments in my building are all one- and two-bedroom and none are above 2,100.

So, yes, I wouldn't listen to Nick (as much as I agree with him in other issues). You can perfectly find 1-bedrooms for under 2,000 in Manhattan. Wall Street people make less than 5% of the population, let's not forget that, for those obsessed with them.

Old 12-22-2006, 04:45 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,867,900 times
I would agree with Manhattan-ite. I was born in Manhattan and I've lived here my entire life. Manhattan-ite is correct.

Old 12-28-2006, 12:49 PM

48 posts, read 461,270 times
I will expose Hustla for his racist rants on this board. I wonder if he is working for the kkk. He seems to equivocate Middle class with white, as if to say that Blacks cannot be Middle Class. Check out my other post. Black Families in Queens have a higher Median Income than Whites. To think that we have someone like this in the NYPD is disturbing. I cannot fathom how someone like that can pass an NYPD phychological test. He is Clearly Dilutional. There was a shooting in Jaimaca Queens not to while ago. A young Black Man was shot 50 times because dillutional cops taught he had a gun. He was unarmed and was supposed to get married that morning. I think the biggest disgrace in this city are dillutional cops like Hustla who go on boards like this and disparage anything that is not of the white race. If you are Asian, then you need alot of help. You are a filthy racist. Get your facts before you talk. Immigrants tend to be more family oriented, give education more value and came to this country for a better life. The Hatians, Jaimacans, Trini, and other Carabbians in this city are hard working, they are family oriented, and tend to be more educated. That is why Queens has a vibryant Middle class black population. Flatbush and Crown Hights is a working class family of decent people who are looking for the american dream. Get a life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City