Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 09:55 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,240,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirlo View Post
Yes, I am serious Where can I buy some excellent prosciutto here in New York?
you don't :-( unfortunately, most neighborhoods saw their italian deli's convert to ethnic fruit markets and minimarts past 30 years and the ones that remain are not good, because their clientele are millenial transplants who order "italian hoagies with pepperoni, ham, swiss cheese and mayo". i have found better proscuitto di parma in jersey in old school deli counters and the bronx. the proscuitto they carry at alot at the remaining places in manhattan are hit or miss, and sometimes not proscuitto di parma.. and most are hanging for who knows how long or chucked in refrigeration next to the other hams, and cross contaminated in flavor and scent and totally dried out. the problem with proscuitto di parma is storage, and delivery. it costs too much, the demand is low and they don't store it right at the deli's, so it tastes gross. that place on bleecker and the few in tourist trap little italy is awful. sandwich shops like alidoro or fiacco's, they make good sandwiches, but their proscuitto isn't proscuitto di parma, it's made somewhere in kansas but still called proscuitto. you have really one location. i have picked up good proscuitto di parma in eately but for an arm and a leg at $49/lb, and the hispanic worker slicing the proscuitto began cutting off the fat with a paring knife. i asked him "wtf are u doing?", he said trimming off the fat. ??!?!!?!

simply put, proscuitto di parma isn't a high demand item in nyc. most nyc italians i know don't eat it as proscuitto di parma is regional to northern parma region and venezia giulia and vast majority of ny italians are sicilian/calabrese who grew up on boar's head, pollyo and citterio.

you'd have better success ordering it from freshdirect, is how it is. they carry 24 month galloni soprano proscuitto. eately is good but jacked up in price, but you won't find them carrying anything good like pio tosini and if they do once a blue moon, you'll pay $120/lb.

all the higher end italian restaurants and pizzerias like difara import their proscuitto di parma directly from italy. there are only few wholesalers here who carry premium proscuitto di parma for deli consumers because of price, and storage difficulties. it goes bad quick if not stored right.

Last edited by ControlJohnsons; 10-26-2015 at 10:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 10:13 AM

4,436 posts, read 7,647,117 times
Bronx:
1. Arthur Avenue Retail Market
2. I go to Domand Deli and Caterers, on Castle Hill Ave and Westchester, since it's in my neighborhood!

Manhattan:
1. DiPalo's Select. Corner of Grand and Mott
2. Aleva: Corner of Grand and Mullberry

Old 10-26-2015, 11:29 AM

5,290 posts, read 6,110,699 times
In the USA, the best prosciutto is made by Citterio in Freeland, PA. It is sold by Wegmans, Shoprite, Costco and many others. See below.

Citterio USA - Product - Prosciutto

Old 10-26-2015, 12:28 PM

105,985 posts, read 107,954,552 times
went to eatalay today and got the prosciutto . it was some of the best i ever had . of course it should be at 22 bucks a lb.

got some hot sausage too . good thing i am prediabetic or i would have had a field day with the pasta , breads an pastry .

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-26-2015 at 01:01 PM..

Old 10-26-2015, 12:31 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,191,270 times
Agree with Eataly! Love that place.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
In the USA, the best prosciutto is made by Citterio in Freeland, PA. It is sold by Wegmans, Shoprite, Costco and many others. See below.

Citterio USA - Product - Prosciutto
that's like wagyu kobe beef from oklahoma. a purist would find it hard to accept proscuitto from pennsylvania, and citterio proscuitto is generally what they use at deli sandwich counters in NYC. what you want to look for is the proscuitto di parma designation for the real thing.

i see kobe burgers are sold at red robins and frozen patties now at costco.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:12 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,042,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
you don't :-( unfortunately, most neighborhoods saw their italian deli's convert to ethnic fruit markets and minimarts past 30 years and the ones that remain are not good, because their clientele are millenial transplants who order "italian hoagies with pepperoni, ham, swiss cheese and mayo". i have found better proscuitto di parma in jersey in old school deli counters and the bronx. the proscuitto they carry at alot at the remaining places in manhattan are hit or miss, and sometimes not proscuitto di parma.. and most are hanging for who knows how long or chucked in refrigeration next to the other hams, and cross contaminated in flavor and scent and totally dried out. the problem with proscuitto di parma is storage, and delivery. it costs too much, the demand is low and they don't store it right at the deli's, so it tastes gross. that place on bleecker and the few in tourist trap little italy is awful. sandwich shops like alidoro or fiacco's, they make good sandwiches, but their proscuitto isn't proscuitto di parma, it's made somewhere in kansas but still called proscuitto. you have really one location. i have picked up good proscuitto di parma in eately but for an arm and a leg at $49/lb, and the hispanic worker slicing the proscuitto began cutting off the fat with a paring knife. i asked him "wtf are u doing?", he said trimming off the fat. ??!?!!?!

simply put, proscuitto di parma isn't a high demand item in nyc. most nyc italians i know don't eat it as proscuitto di parma is regional to northern parma region and venezia giulia and vast majority of ny italians are sicilian/calabrese who grew up on boar's head, pollyo and citterio.

you'd have better success ordering it from freshdirect, is how it is. they carry 24 month galloni soprano proscuitto. eately is good but jacked up in price, but you won't find them carrying anything good like pio tosini and if they do once a blue moon, you'll pay $120/lb.

all the higher end italian restaurants and pizzerias like difara import their proscuitto di parma directly from italy. there are only few wholesalers here who carry premium proscuitto di parma for deli consumers because of price, and storage difficulties. it goes bad quick if not stored right.
One great thing about City Data is you never know when you are going to find an expert on something.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
One great thing about City Data is you never know when you are going to find an expert on something.
did a bit more research. here's a list

mike's deli. 2344 arthur ave bronx http://www.yelp.com/biz/mikes-deli-bronx
calabria pork store, arthur ave. they sell culatello, which is the best part of the proscuitto Calabria Pork Store - 24 Photos - Meat Shops - Belmont - Bronx, NY - Reviews - Yelp

dean and deluca, soho
just picked up proscuitto di parma and san daniele this afternoon, excellent quality, and they slice it paper thin. they also had proscuitto toscano.
ceriello's, grand central station
eately, 200 5th ave

it's slim pickins in nyc.

avoid the rest of italian deli's downtown, ie faicco's, di palo's, they are a joke but good for eggplant and chicken "parmesan"

Old 10-27-2015, 06:32 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,260,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
did a bit more research. here's a list

mike's deli. 2344 arthur ave bronx Mike
calabria pork store, arthur ave. they sell culatello, which is the best part of the proscuitto Calabria Pork Store - 24 Photos - Meat Shops - Belmont - Bronx, NY - Reviews - Yelp

dean and deluca, soho
just picked up proscuitto di parma and san daniele this afternoon, excellent quality, and they slice it paper thin. they also had proscuitto toscano.
ceriello's, grand central station
eately, 200 5th ave

it's slim pickins in nyc.

avoid the rest of italian deli's downtown, ie faicco's, di palo's, they are a joke but good for eggplant and chicken "parmesan"
Funny how you'll call out any Italian deli downtown or in Brooklyn as a tourist trap, while repping Mike's deli, the biggest tourist trap of them all.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:32 AM

779 posts, read 999,563 times
Paninio Rustico in Bensonhurst, they use the best ingredients, it's more of a cafe then a deli, but I'm sure they'll sell some or direct you to where you can buy the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City