Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2015, 08:26 PM

213 posts, read 225,950 times

Advertisements

Hi - I'm seriously considering buying an apartment in Jackson Heights. Ideally, I'd like to get a 1-br (or even 2-br) under $350K - in a perfect world, in one of the historic garden buildings.

I'm currently living in Inwood in a rent-stabilized apartment, which is a good deal. But I don't like the neighborhood that much anymore, pretty much all my friends now live in Brooklyn, and between the low soundproofing and my loud upstairs neighbors sleep isn't always happening.

I love visiting Jackson Heights - the ethnic restaurants are wonderful, it's very convenient to transportation to get to work in Manhattan and also to my friends in Brooklyn, and it's close to supermarkets, shopping, etc.

Some questions for the horde: Is the neighborhood likely to see decent real estate appreciation?

Is it reasonably quiet? I would want to stay well north of Roosevelt and the elevated train, but on the side streets off of 34th Ave, is it pretty sedate?

And how likely is it that I'll find some reasonably young, educated people to hang out with in the area? I'd like to have at least some form of peer group in the area, and it would be great to meet cool people nearby to socialize.

Thanks for any and all thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 08:56 PM

110 posts, read 157,796 times
Price is up , but slowly , not as fast as Brooklyn

Queen is mostly suburban environment

Young people don't like suburban feeling , especially they live suburban in most of their childhood

Williamsburg , bushwick or ridgewood are better to find young people

Most ppl over there are South American speaking Spanish
They are mostly married people in their 30s-50s with kids
I don't see a lot of young ppl like 20-30s

Old 10-24-2015, 09:13 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,017,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latent123 View Post

Young people don't like suburban feeling , especially they live suburban in most of their childhood

It might be that you see a lot of South American people in the street, but in the garden coops it's a whole different story. I was fortunate to get invited to the garden of a very nice coop on 77th St. I think it's called Hawthorne Court -- really amazing space. Basically everyone in the garden (birthday party going on) was white plus a sprinkling of a few other races. I was surprised. My own garden coop is more mixed, I'd say it's 50% or 60% white. But about 90% English speaking, or at least English is the language I hear in the elevator, lobby and garden parties. Maybe people are bilingual and when they go inside they are speaking their other language.

Not sure what age you mean when you say young people. Seems like the new sales are going to people in their early 30s. People come over to get more space; sometimes that means they want to start a family.

I suggest checking out Espresso 77, as there's a lot of community activity there (younger/hipper) plus they are expanding in a few months. Also go to the farmer's market on a Sunday at Travers Park to see who is there. You could just hang out there for a few hours and talk to people, as it's a pretty friendly place.

Prices are going really high on 2 bedrooms and especially 2 bed/2 bath in garden coops, at least the ones that have good reputations and are financially secure. The one bedrooms are a little slower to go up, but they are definitely rising. Check out JACKSON HEIGHTS REAL ESTATE LISTINGS also MCP Properties and listings on Douglas Elliman and Brown Harris Stevens.

Good luck.

P.S. I live in the historic district off 35th Ave and you can basically hear a pin drop most of the time. BUT make sure you don't get a street-facing apartment if you are interested in quiet. I hear people with street-facing apartments complain about cars honking, traffic noise, etc.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:42 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,246,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latent123 View Post

Jackson Heights is far from having a suburban feel. Its density can match that of anywhere in Brooklyn.

Buy something in the historic district if you can.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:42 PM

4,645 posts, read 4,504,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Jackson Heights is far from having a suburban feel. Its density can match that of anywhere in Brooklyn.

Buy something in the historic district if you can.
No kidding. According to the data on this very site, Jackson Heights has a population density of 61,572 people per square mile. That doesn't sound like any suburb I've heard of.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:56 PM

I forgot to mention that besides the young-ish people moving to get more space so they can have a baby, there is also a huge gay (mostly male I think) population.

I am not sure how much you'd notice it on the street but in the garden coops you would notice it. My floor is about 35% gay (all males in their 30s to 40s). I am not sure about the other floors in my building but I'm guessing the building is 20 to 25% gay. Maybe I am overestimating because the gay men tend to be very active in the coop, especially doing the gardening and decorating (sorry I know this sounds like a cliche).

As far as I can tell, most of the socializing happens at things like dinners in each others' apartments, or else they go into the city to go out. If it interests you, you can read about it in the NY Times JACKSON HEIGHTS: A Place Where Diversity Extends to Sexuality

A Migrants’ Enclave Attracts a New Breed

The articles are both 4-5 years old.

Last edited by Henna; 10-25-2015 at 12:07 AM..

Old 11-05-2015, 08:52 PM

213 posts, read 225,950 times
Thanks for the tips!

How quiet do the older co-ops in JH tend to be? More specifically, how soundproofed are the floors/ceilings? My current (rental) and former (co-op) apartments have both been very poorly soundproofed, and my upstairs neighbors in both have been loud and inconsiderate. I'm actually at the point where I'm seriously considering leaving NYC entirely in order to find a newer, better-insulated home.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Moonstone View Post
Thanks for the tips!

How quiet do the older co-ops in JH tend to be? More specifically, how soundproofed are the floors/ceilings? My current (rental) and former (co-op) apartments have both been very poorly soundproofed, and my upstairs neighbors in both have been loud and inconsiderate. I'm actually at the point where I'm seriously considering leaving NYC entirely in order to find a newer, better-insulated home.
I think it depends on the building. My floors/ceilings are not well soundproofed (1940 building). Maybe the fancy buildings that went up in 1915 and 1920's, like the Towers and the Colonials are better soundproofed but I am not sure.

I think if you're really concerned about that, you have to look at buildings that are fire safe without fire escapes. I heard those have better insulation between floors, or maybe it's because they are built out of concrete. There's only one that I know of in historic JH and that one is Roosevelt Terrace. VLADIMIR JACKSON HEIGHTS REAL ESTATE COOPS

Old 11-05-2015, 10:15 PM

110 posts, read 157,796 times
The older the building , the better they are

Second option is find coop that is not high rise building , some coops in remote area of queens are only 2 floor high. The area does not have a subway nearby

Finally, I don't care how soundproof they are.

If your neighbor got kids , you will suffer . Screaming and ball bouncing , basketball playing up and down

Some people like to chop meats at home
So they put cutting board on the floor chop meat over and over again
That's my mom also , lol

Old 11-06-2015, 08:49 AM

481 posts, read 424,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Moonstone View Post
Hi - I'm seriously considering buying an apartment in Jackson Heights. Ideally, I'd like to get a 1-br (or even 2-br) under $350K - in a perfect world, in one of the historic garden buildings.

I'm currently living in Inwood in a rent-stabilized apartment, which is a good deal. But I don't like the neighborhood that much anymore, pretty much all my friends now live in Brooklyn, and between the low soundproofing and my loud upstairs neighbors sleep isn't always happening.

I love visiting Jackson Heights - the ethnic restaurants are wonderful, it's very convenient to transportation to get to work in Manhattan and also to my friends in Brooklyn, and it's close to supermarkets, shopping, etc.

Some questions for the horde: Is the neighborhood likely to see decent real estate appreciation?

Is it reasonably quiet? I would want to stay well north of Roosevelt and the elevated train, but on the side streets off of 34th Ave, is it pretty sedate?

And how likely is it that I'll find some reasonably young, educated people to hang out with in the area? I'd like to have at least some form of peer group in the area, and it would be great to meet cool people nearby to socialize.

Thanks for any and all thoughts!
Howdy neighbour.

We're leaving Inwood for similar reasons. It's a decent neighbourhood with good housing stock, but we're done with being renters and looking for some peace and quiet. (Last night I took out my earplugs at about 3 AM and was greeted by the usual; lady upstairs stomping around in her heels, par for course at this hour, someone moving furniture or maybe bowling, hard to tell, jokers on the street having a car-stereo party)

My husband's first pick was tied between Jackson Heights and the Bronx - mine was south Brooklyn. (We ended up finding what we want in north central Bronx).

A friend steered us toward this unit (in contract now) which is near to one of the few green spaces in JH and in a great building worth watching if something comes up again 7610 34th Ave. #4P in Jackson Heights, Queens | StreetEasy The garden courtyard helps cut down noise.

Expresso 77 was part of the conversation - working artists have been finding community there.
We learned that real estate brokers in the area can be possessive, some don't even list. They're trying to remain exclusive, so they'll list one place and show you a bunch of others too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: