Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2015, 12:58 PM

10 posts, read 15,172 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm writing this question on behalf of someone.

This person has held a house keeping position at a major company for 5 years. Problem is shes been temporary for all 5 years working only the summer time. So they tell her to work 5 months, once she approaches 6 months they let her go so they don't hire her full time.

Now, shes on a list obviously to some day achieve a permanent position at the company, however this day has not come now for 5 years and many women that started working there after her were made permanent employees.

She has not had any complains against her that shes aware of, and if they did why would they hire her every summer to continue working? I'm sure in the last 5 years, at least 500 new employees that started working after her as part time summer replacements were made permanent before her.

Is there any type of law that protects her from this? And by "this" I mean not being equally valued in the work place. Every check she received, she pays taxes and union fees.

I'm assuming this might be a case of some type of work discrimination or lack of equal rights in the work place.

If anybody can give me any ideas if there are any legal options available or if she should see an attorney then I'd really like to hear what you have to say.

A few times when she went to the office she asked people if her turn would ever come and more than twice they asked her if she knows anybody in the company that can slide her in on the line. And I assume this might not be right.

Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 02:45 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg2013 View Post
Hello, I'm writing this question on behalf of someone.

This person has held a house keeping position at a major company for 5 years. Problem is shes been temporary for all 5 years working only the summer time. So they tell her to work 5 months, once she approaches 6 months they let her go so they don't hire her full time.

Now, shes on a list obviously to some day achieve a permanent position at the company, however this day has not come now for 5 years and many women that started working there after her were made permanent employees.

She has not had any complains against her that shes aware of, and if they did why would they hire her every summer to continue working? I'm sure in the last 5 years, at least 500 new employees that started working after her as part time summer replacements were made permanent before her.

Is there any type of law that protects her from this? And by "this" I mean not being equally valued in the work place. Every check she received, she pays taxes and union fees.

I'm assuming this might be a case of some type of work discrimination or lack of equal rights in the work place.

If anybody can give me any ideas if there are any legal options available or if she should see an attorney then I'd really like to hear what you have to say.

A few times when she went to the office she asked people if her turn would ever come and more than twice they asked her if she knows anybody in the company that can slide her in on the line. And I assume this might not be right.

Thanks for your time.
Temporary employees have been lied to/strung along for ages by companies, nothing new. Unless there is something written down as in a contract your "friend" has got nothing.

While your friend is obviously a good worker or the place wouldn't have her back, they for reasons known unto themselves will not commit to making her a FTE.

When someone is pulling your chain like this you really have two options; force the issue or move on.

Since the best time to find a job is when you have one already (even if only temporary) your friend should use her current status as leverage and look elsewhere. Make and use contacts etc...

If this woman has been hired every summer for five years without any sort of movement to FTE status they likely aren't going to do so. Time to move on....

Old 10-26-2015, 03:33 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
Protection against job discrimination doesn't exist in America. I am living proof of this.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:55 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
It sounds like instead of forlornly asking if her turn will ever come, she should come in acting confidently professional, armed with data, and ask about a full time position very matter-of-factly.

You can have her call a lawyer or the Department of Labor, but they won't like a trouble-maker, of course. If she's in a union, I would have imagined they could have helped.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:24 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg2013 View Post
The employer would have to be discriminating against her based on her status as a member of a protected class. If she could demonstrate that the reason she hasn't been kept on as a permanent employee is because she is a woman, jewish, black, whatever, then she may have a case.

Otherwise, the employer can simply say, "I don't promote people who have the letter Q in their name" and its perfectly legal.

Since she pays union dues, her first step should be contacting her union rep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City