Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2017, 12:44 PM

186 posts, read 307,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsny_future View Post
In your opinion cause i have a friend who works nights and he loves it. Is it better to do days or nights?
That question depends entirely on your situation. Some guys prefer nights while others prefer days. But if you sign nights you are more likely to have a set work schedule. But it depends on your garage and your senority. Not every garage is the same. Some garages run more trucks at night then other garages. Ask around if you know anyone on the job and find out what garage may be suitable to your needs. But get on the job first buddy. Lets not skip ahead.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:56 PM

35 posts, read 41,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmandan View Post
That question depends entirely on your situation. Some guys prefer nights while others prefer days. But if you sign nights you are more likely to have a set work schedule. But it depends on your garage and your senority. Not every garage is the same. Some garages run more trucks at night then other garages. Ask around if you know anyone on the job and find out what garage may be suitable to your needs. But get on the job first buddy. Lets not skip ahead.
If you sign days will you mostly work days just different day shifts or you can still work nights a lot?

Old 05-25-2017, 02:09 PM

144 posts, read 228,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmandan View Post
How long does it take to get the physical results in the mail?

Old 05-25-2017, 02:43 PM

218 posts, read 293,543 times
Quote:
How long does it take to get the physical results in the mail?
They tell if you pass or fail right there.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:57 PM

101 posts, read 154,182 times
I appreciate the information and advice from you guys it helps a lot. Thank you. One last question, just cause theres always a chance of things happening in life. What if your on the job and have a family emergency? How is a situation like that approached?

Old 05-25-2017, 03:48 PM

264 posts, read 502,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgunz21z View Post
I appreciate the information and advice from you guys it helps a lot. Thank you. One last question, just cause theres always a chance of things happening in life. What if your on the job and have a family emergency? How is a situation like that approached?
You can call in and go emergency, you might have to show proof. If you have hours you will get paid if you dont then you won't. Hours can only be obtained by your days off landing on holidays which is 8 hrs or 4 hours for going out of town.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:45 PM

271 posts, read 453,876 times
Ok guys here's my update from today's orientation.

So just like the director said in previous orientations today 75 ppl were invited. I'd say only 40 showed up. Out of that only about twelve of us had the CDL, I'd also say about 24 had the permit and about 6 had only a regular license.

There were also a handful of guys who were missing documents and at least two who can't provide residence info.

Today the director mentioned those in the range of 1500 and below who have their CDL already have a good chance of getting on in maybe aug or sep. she said that so far in each orientation that half the group is unprepared in some way whether they were missing the license or any of the documents.

Based on some of the questions that some of the guys were asking it seems they don't want the job because of the cut in pay or schedule. Not my problem.

I have a feeling the list will move nicely if some of the other orientations were like today's.

My medical is 6/13.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:08 PM

41 posts, read 60,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyGEPO View Post
Ok guys here's my update from today's orientation.

So just like the director said in previous orientations today 75 ppl were invited. I'd say only 40 showed up. Out of that only about twelve of us had the CDL, I'd also say about 24 had the permit and about 6 had only a regular license.

There were also a handful of guys who were missing documents and at least two who can't provide residence info.

Today the director mentioned those in the range of 1500 and below who have their CDL already have a good chance of getting on in maybe aug or sep. she said that so far in each orientation that half the group is unprepared in some way whether they were missing the license or any of the documents.

Based on some of the questions that some of the guys were asking it seems they don't want the job because of the cut in pay or schedule. Not my problem.

I have a feeling the list will move nicely if some of the other orientations were like today's.

My medical is 6/13.
Thanks for the info brother! Whats your list #?

Old 05-25-2017, 06:26 PM

327 posts, read 468,183 times
Quote:
In your opinion cause i have a friend who works nights and he loves it. Is it better to do days or nights?
I think if you're new, nights is the way to go.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:30 PM

327 posts, read 468,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgunz21z View Post
If you get a flat tire, need to watch your kids, or have a family emergency, call out & let them know why. You'll need to bring in proof & a written letter within 48 hours I believe. Life happens. Sometimes if you're working an earlier shift they'll arrange for you to come in for a later shift like 4pm or 7pm if you can, instead of taking your comp time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.