Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 04:16 PM

13 posts, read 41,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
To answer Amen4mom's question, Astoria and Jackson Heights are very diverse. In JH I have seen several black-white or black-Asian couples and many more that are white-Asian or white-Arab. No one would look twice at a mixed couple because everyone is mixed or from somewhere else it seems. However, I would just add that even though Jackson Heights is considered to be one of the most diverse places anywhere, the black population is not all that high percentage-wise. I don't know details about Astoria but it always seems very diverse when I am there.

In JH there is a small Russian population (I occasionally hear Russian spoken on the street) and there is a tiny Russian grocery store called Grourmet Fantasy Foods.
Interesting. Yeah, the white/black thing, esp. white woman seems to be the more difficult overall for some reason... Even here, a black/Latino person is more acceptable,and the Latino's have thier ill-will towards blacks more than whites... so it gets tricky all the way around. I will check out those cities as well. My search seems exhausting! I appreciate any help in getting it narrowed down to a feasible location for us to relocate to. Thank you. ~Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 03:04 AM

2 posts, read 11,596 times
Forest Hills is where it's at!!!!!!!!! I have lived there 40 years and can't get bored with walking on Austin Street. Of course it's changed in many ways as we all know. There just is a certain allure to lving in Forest Hills and walking down Austin Street. Also, all the highways are just minutes away. Trains to the city at your foosteps. Its the best of all worlds. The restaurants are better on Metropolitan avenue for fine dining however but you can still find good eating on Austin Street and even yellowstone blvd if you know where to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City