Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 02:43 PM

3 posts, read 10,031 times

Advertisements

I realize there is no "perfect" neighborhood in NYC, but I was hoping maybe someone could help me out on a good place for me to be?

We plan on moving to NYC in the next couple of years, and I just wanted to get a rough idea of where exactly. Here's what we're looking for: a one bedroom (if possible), otherwise a studio, for under $1500. However, I want to make sure it's a decent neighborhood (lower crime raters, nice community). I would enjoy somewhere with lots of culture & things to do - not necessarily just nightlife, but things to do in general.

Somewhere preferably close to transportation to Manhattan. I'm finding it hard to find information on specific neighborhoods in each borough, if someone could direct me! We've looked at info on: Brooklyn (in general), some in Manhattan (but who knows what is affordable!), Queens, and Yonkers. If anyone could provide some information about specific neighborhoods, I would really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 03:48 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,364,642 times
Studios in decent neighborhoods of Manhattan are usually expensive ($1,700+ for a very small ammount of space). Maybe you could manage to find something up in "Hudson Heights," which is the western part of Washington Heights, but that area is pretty far removed from other nice neighborhoods. For under $1,500 in Manhattan you're probably going to end up in a pretty undesireable neighborhood.

Northern Brooklyn is an obvious choice for the out of town/hipster crowd. However these days everything is pretty expensive down there. You could probably find something for $1,500.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:41 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
for neighborhoods in Queens you could check out queens.about.com . I think you should check out Astoria as it seems to meet all your requirements. You can read about it by doing a search on here, or at Queens' Neighborhoods: Close to Manhattan
Also there is a great astoria online forum cPanel® that I think is down today (jan 31) for maintenance.

There are plenty of neighborhoods in parts of Brooklyn that you would probably like, but your rent price point is pretty low for those neighborhoods. You might be able to find a place in Fort Greene or Greenpoint (two very different neighborhoods not near one another; they just happen to have green in their names).

Your price range would get you something in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn which is oft-discussed on here, but given what you're looking for (proximity to Manhattan, nightlife etc) I think you'd be better off in the other places I mentioned.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:54 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,544,831 times
For $1500, I'd say, Rego Park, Kew Gardens, and perhaps Forest Hills in Queens. Forest Hills has a lot to offer, like excellent housing, good restaurants, great shopping around Austin Street, quick commute to Manhattan (30 minutes by subway & 15 minutes by LIRR). Rego Park and Kew Gardens are west and east of Forest Hills, respectively.

These neighborhoods are clean, safe, with good transportation. And unlike many other parts of Queens, you can live in them without a car.

I've also heard there are some good deals to be had in Sunnyside and Woodside. However, they aren't as nice (well-to-do) as the ones above. These areas tend to be more working class or lower middle class. But if affordability and proximity to Manhattan are your primary goals, then you should have some luck. In these two areas, you'll be near a lot of good, inexpensive ethnic restaurants, e.g., Thai, Indian, Filipino, Uruguayan, Peruvian, Argentinean, Turkish, etc.

In Manhattan, Inwood is still relatively cheap, although it's sometimes rather a long commute to downtown.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:08 PM

But what is there to do in Kew Gardens and Rego Park? And even Forest Hills? (yeah, I know in Forest Hills there are some mediocre but not cheap "upscale" restaurants and some chain stores, including a Barnes and Noble, and a nice gym).

It just seems to me if the OP wants to have some options open to him for "culture and things to do" that I would personally not suggest the neighbhorhoods you have mentioned. In Queens, for culture and things to do, I will just re-iterate my Astoria suggestion and I will add on my own neighborhood, Jackson Heights. If you want to see the huge number of cultural offerings, check out the Community Groups, Activities and Events section on the Jackson Heights Life website Community Groups, Activities & Events - Jackson Heights NY - Queens (broken link)

True, this neighborhood is middle class, and not upscale for the most part (though it has its moments). Unfortunately it seems like in Queens when you go for the more upscale parts, there is a dearth of cultural offerings.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:57 PM

13 posts, read 41,762 times
Curious, how interaccial is Astoria or Jackson heights? I am a white/russian woman, and my husband is black, and we want to move from Harrisburg, PA...?

Old 02-02-2008, 02:45 AM

4 posts, read 4,969 times
You need to increase your budget a little.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:52 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,364,642 times
Are there really any cultural things to do in Jackson Heights or Astoria?

Just because you can find dinner for under $10 in an ethnic restaurant (Indian/Arab/Latin) doesn't mean a neighborhood has culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
But what is there to do in Kew Gardens and Rego Park? And even Forest Hills? (yeah, I know in Forest Hills there are some mediocre but not cheap "upscale" restaurants and some chain stores, including a Barnes and Noble, and a nice gym).

It just seems to me if the OP wants to have some options open to him for "culture and things to do" that I would personally not suggest the neighbhorhoods you have mentioned. In Queens, for culture and things to do, I will just re-iterate my Astoria suggestion and I will add on my own neighborhood, Jackson Heights. If you want to see the huge number of cultural offerings, check out the Community Groups, Activities and Events section on the Jackson Heights Life website Community Groups, Activities & Events - Jackson Heights NY - Queens (broken link)

True, this neighborhood is middle class, and not upscale for the most part (though it has its moments). Unfortunately it seems like in Queens when you go for the more upscale parts, there is a dearth of cultural offerings.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:00 AM

To answer Amen4mom's question, Astoria and Jackson Heights are very diverse. In JH I have seen several black-white or black-Asian couples and many more that are white-Asian or white-Arab. No one would look twice at a mixed couple because everyone is mixed or from somewhere else it seems. However, I would just add that even though Jackson Heights is considered to be one of the most diverse places anywhere, the black population is not all that high percentage-wise. I don't know details about Astoria but it always seems very diverse when I am there.

In JH there is a small Russian population (I occasionally hear Russian spoken on the street) and there is a tiny Russian grocery store called Grourmet Fantasy Foods.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Are there really any cultural things to do in Jackson Heights or Astoria?

Just because you can find dinner for under $10 in an ethnic restaurant (Indian/Arab/Latin) doesn't mean a neighborhood has culture.
Hey Mead, guess you didn't click on the link in my post. If you did you would have seen that when I was talking about cultural events, I was actually talking about events and not things to eat. This includes films, gallery openings, etc. But whatever, you can believe whatever uneducated thing you want since you clearly aren't willing to open your eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City