Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 04:58 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times

Advertisements

Do you actually obey the new & inane 25 mph speed limit when driving on major streets? They recently lowered Union turnpikes speed limit to 25 which had me rolling my eyes since the street doesn't even have a sidewalk between Woodhaven and Metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 05:16 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Do you actually obey the new & inane 25 mph speed limit when driving on major streets? They recently lowered Union turnpikes speed limit to 25 which had me rolling my eyes since the street doesn't even have a sidewalk between Woodhaven and Metro.

No and from what one can see neither do many others.

Driving 25mph regardless of it being law will get you honked at and called quite a few nasty names. Not to mention having a good share of birds flipped in your direction.

Besides driving slower just encourages pedestrians to walk out into the middle of street and take their sweet time crossing.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
No and from what one can see neither do many others.

Driving 25mph regardless of it being law will get you honked at and called quite a few nasty names. Not to mention having a good share of birds flipped in your direction.

Besides driving slower just encourages pedestrians to walk out into the middle of street and take their sweet time crossing.
A few months back on Queens Blvd I was going exactly 25 mph and of all things to honk at me for going too slow it was a local bus. This happened in Sunnyside and I was heading towards Woodhaven. I then picked it up to 30-35.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:30 PM
dun

193 posts, read 226,183 times
the posted speed limit is irrelevant. the speed limit is what those around you are driving. the goal is to not stand out by going too slow or too fast. example: if youre sittin in traffic on first ave and everyones doing 5mph - the speed limit is 5mph. if youre on the nj turnpike and everyones doin 80mph the speed limit is 80mph. if the posted speed limit is 65 on the turnpike and everyones blowing past you, youre going too slow and are a danger on the road. same thing goes for if youre doing 100 - danger on the road.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:59 PM

725 posts, read 804,916 times
This is why cops should be blamed for stopping people for speeding. A speed limit is an arbitrary number. The safe speed is to go with traffic and often on straight roads without many intersections it is safest to move fast and facilitate the flow of traffic. The autoban is a great highway not just because of the condition but because of the speed. People are safe when traffic flows.

Speeding tickets have nothing to do with safety but are about revenue generation and expanding the police state. Think for a minute that a cop has to speed up to catch a "speeder" and pull him to the side of the road and distract motorists and obstruct traffic. So don't praise cops because they are the ones voluntarily pulling people and making roads unsafe. Traffic stops are police abuse in themselves and many times lead to serious issues because cops often escalate and instigate situations. People have a right to be free from harassment by cops. Even worse than speeding stops are stops for not wearing a seat belt. Your life, your choice whether you want to wear a seatbelt. Not wearing a seat belt has no bearing on anyone else on the road.

Last edited by john620; 10-29-2015 at 08:07 PM..

Old 10-30-2015, 02:24 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Not unless I have to because there is someone in front of me driving slowly or there are a lot of cars.

On main avenues and streets, where pedestrians are of the the most concern by me due to concentration, you usually can't even hit 25 mph because of all of the cars, double parked cars, lights, trucks, etc. So what is the worry? Then on the some of the avenues below the main avenues there are all way stops on almost every corner so you constantly have to slow down and stop anyway.

Yesterday, after driving in traffic anyway even though I wasn't leaving work during rush hour (thanks as usual, Belt Parkway) I got off one exit earlier than I usually do and was repaid by being stuck behind a car who was stuck behind an express bus that was going only 12 MPH at some point for absolutely no reason other than the fact that he could do that and just drift back and forth between the street and where he would otherwise stop for passengers so no one could get around him.

BTW dun, what you say is absolutely not true. I don't know how many times I've just seen cops choose a guy to pull over, usually who is at the back of the pack, just to give out tickets. The person might be going the same speed as everyone else but he is the easiest to pull over.

I just need to move to a place where I can drive faster and/or without getting points for speeding. Speed limits on parkways and highways are an absolute joke. Belt Parkway is 50 MPH. When I drive home on a Saturday morning, there are days where all of a sudden I am going 65-70 because you are kind of going with the flow of traffic and tons of people are still passing me.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:47 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,941,677 times
Most of the times. ..especially around those speed cameras on WOODHAVEN blvd.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:09 AM

443 posts, read 437,302 times
I have a hard time doing 25. I feel like that's barely moving. I only do 25 in a school zone or where I'm aware of cameras otherwise I'm keeping up with traffic.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
Most of the times. ..especially around those speed cameras on WOODHAVEN blvd.
Woodhaven Blvd hardly has speed cameras. I use that street almost everyday and go like 40-45 mph on it. Plus the speed limit for that street is "suppose" to be 30.

Lots of red light cameras though.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:44 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,941,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Woodhaven Blvd hardly has speed cameras. I use that street almost everyday and go like 40-45 mph on it. Plus the speed limit for that street is "suppose" to be 30.

Lots of red light cameras though.
There's one on Furmanville.....huge money maker for NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City