Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 09:09 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times

Advertisements

Guiliani cared about quality of life issues, that's why I like him.

Bloomberg didn't, all he cared about was making the city money, at the taxpayers epxense.

and DeBlasio is just a moron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 09:53 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

Bloomberg didn't, all he cared about was making the city money, at the taxpayers epxense.

Sums it up perfectly.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:58 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
In my life time as a new yorker. Giuliani has to be the best mayor I have ever witnessed.
Not from NY but agree with you. I would have loved to see Giuliani make a run for 2016 as he would have gotton my vote for sure. He just went head on with the problems in NY and am sure he would do the same with the country.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:06 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
The city has changed.They are an endangered species on their way to becoming extinct. By 2017 they will all be playing bingo and making sure their city pensions stretch as far as possible in Florida. Him too. They will all be voting Democratic (even him) to prevent the Republicans from taking away their Social Security and Medicare.

The next mayor,after DeBlasio finishes his second term, will be a Wing or a Wong or maybe a Dong. Perhaps a Suzy Wong because we are overdue for that too. If not Suzie Wong then maybe Melissa Mark-Viverito.

Last edited by bluedog2; 10-30-2015 at 10:35 AM..

Old 10-30-2015, 12:25 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:

Agree, as usual.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:39 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
Where are the blue collar white ethnic voters that elected Rudy Giuliani in 1993, 1997? I know most of them are in Staten Island, and some areas of Queens (Bayside, Whitestone, Howard Beach), Brooklyn (Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst), etc. Why did they not turn out enough for Joe Lhota in 2013? Will they turn out in 2017?

Rudolph Giuliani Not Welcome in Bill de Blasio’s New York | Observer

Lhota Tested by Changed City - WSJ

THE 1993 ELECTIONS - News Analysis - The Tide Turns on Voter Turnout - NYTimes.com

http://rothbard.altervista.org/artic...k-election.pdf
The white working class largely fled NYC by 2013. Even Queens does not have many white ethnic neighborhoods left except for Howard Beach.

Bensonhurst has a lot of Chinese and Russians.

Many of the remaining ethnic blue collar whites in some of these neighborhoods were older retirees who are dying off. The ones young enough to have children already left.

The whites who have moved into NYC are mainly professionals, tend to be more educated AND liberal and wouldn't for a Giuliani type. Added to this the children of 70s-90s immigrants are now adults and can vote too.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
/\ True. But the fact is that if crime ever became as severe as it was in the early 1990s, you'd be surprised at who'd become a "Guliani Voter". Guliani won 20% of the Black vote in 1997 and did reasonably well with Hispanics and Jews. Also, many of these yuppies would gladly vote in a tough on crime mayor if their hoods became dangerous.
It's just not happening for a multitude of reasons.

A lot of poor people were shifted out of certain neighborhoods, and certain 90s reforms in welfare and mental health were big factors in reducing crime. So is a lowered birth rate. You have a lot more urban investment in the form of jobs and housing in abandoned industrial areas like the West Side of Manhattan, LIC, Williamsburg, etc and that too reduced the crime rate.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
Not from NY but agree with you. I would have loved to see Giuliani make a run for 2016 as he would have gotton my vote for sure. He just went head on with the problems in NY and am sure he would do the same with the country.
Giuliani could not get his own children to campaign by his side in 2008. He is politically DOA. DONE with.

And for those of you critical of Giuliani but praising Bloomberg, Giuliani endorsed Bloomberg THREE times.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:

All Giuliani cared about was making the city money. Those quality of life issues he dealt with weren't for poor working class New Yorkers. That was to attract out of towners with money. Giuliani endorsed Bloomberg three times and he knew from day one what Bloomberg was about. Do you honestly think Giuliani cared? Please.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:09 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,236,702 times
I work with them. Most have moved out of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City