Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 06:59 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times

Advertisements

Asian can be broken up to specific categories. South Asian for Indian, Pakistani, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bhutan and Myanmar. Southeast for Thai, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Indonesian, fillipino, Malaysia and Singapore. East Asia for Japan, Taiwan, and the Korean. Central Asian for steppe countries like Afghanistan, and other Stan countries that were once part of Russia during the Imperial and Soviet eras. Than you have southwest Asia aka the Levant or middle east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 07:08 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
This is just going to get worse as the population increases. NYC is a melting pot that does not mix well. Too many people of different cultures, races, religions, etc.

I carpool in the AM at 7 am($25 weekly). I get out of work at 6:30 to 7 pm and by then the trains are empty or not jam packed as they are during rush hour.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:16 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,748,808 times
Easy fix for this. I've been using this technic for years. Go in early or later in the day. After work: happy hour until 7pm. Telework when you can.

I would be fine with a system like what they have in DC. What you pay is determined by where you are going to. Go from 59th Street to 42nd, pay $1.00. Go from Midtown to the airport, pay $7.

Pay more during rush hours and less in the middle of the night.

This would help keep the riff-raff off the train and we'd pay depending on how far we were going and at what time.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:29 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
A lot of Americans don't realize that many of the recent Asian immigrants comes from countries where politeness or courtesy doesn't exist. If you try to enforce your own beliefs you're not gonna get through to them. Just about every Chinese from China is only looking out for themselves and they will fight if challenged.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:34 AM

993 posts, read 1,384,656 times
Watching that video, although it's edited so you can never really know, it seemed to me that the Caucasian woman was the physical aggressor in several places, and the Asian woman just defended herself with words.

Before the vid began, evidently something had already happened between them because Asian woman was protesting the Caucasian accusing Asian publicly of kicking her. Asian woman's point was that (assuming anyone touched anybody with a foot at all..), why would Asian pick out one woman of the entire train car to "kick." That would make no sense.

Caucasian woman starts pointing finger 4 or 5 times right up close into Asian woman's face while yelling back at her. That's a very aggressive move that causes peoples "fight or flight" cave woman chemicals to start releasing in the brain. You just don't do that finger face aggression if you're trying to calm things down. It heats things up.

Asian woman calls C woman a body part we all have, and "fat."

Then theres a break in the vid (so who knows what happened there..) and we see Asian woman standing up, still defending herself verbally while holding a shopping bag defensively up to her own chest.

Then some younger Caucasian girl enters the picture, lunging at the Asian woman who's standing. To me it's not clear there if she's trying to hold her back, control or hurt her.

Most significantly, the first C woman tries to reach past everyone including the young C girl, in order to get her own hands on the Asian woman.

That's why I saw the C as most likely at greater fault in what we can see from an edited vid.

And that's why I posted to call out whover uses that vid as an excuse to pick at Asian people.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 11-02-2015 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: Typos

Old 11-02-2015, 12:02 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
Watching that video, although it's edited so you can never really know, it seemed to me that the Caucasian woman was the physical aggressor in several places, and the Asian woman just defended herself with words.

Before the vid began, evidently something had already happened between them because Asian woman was protesting the Caucasian accusing Asian publicly of kicking her. Asian woman's point was that (assuming anyone touched anybody with a foot at all..), why would Asian pick out one woman of the entire train car to "kick." That would make no sense.

Caucasian woman starts pointing finger 4 or 5 times right up close into Asian woman's face while yelling back at her. That's a very aggressive move that causes peoples "fight or flight" cave woman chemicals to start releasing in the brain. You just don't do that finger face aggression if you're trying to calm things down. It heats things up.

Asian woman calls C woman a body part we all have, and "fat."

Then theres a break in the vid (so who knows what happened there..) and we see Asian woman standing up, still defending herself verbally while holding a shopping bag defensively up to her own chest.

Then some younger Caucasian girl enters the picture, lunging at the Asian woman who's standing. To me it's not clear there if she's trying to hold her back, control or hurt her.

Most significantly, the first C woman tries to reach past everyone including the young C girl, in order to get her own hands on the Asian woman.

That's why I saw the C as most likely at greater fault in what we can see from an edited vid.

And that's why I posted to call out whover uses that vid as an excuse to pick at Asian people.
In Asian culture, it's "acceptable" to call someone as fat because it's socially acceptable.

Fat = Wealth and Skinny = Poor.

A fat woman = fertile and a skinny woman = infertile.

Chinese customs.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:03 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
This is just going to get worse as the population increases. NYC is a melting pot that does not mix well. Too many people of different cultures, races, religions, etc.

I carpool in the AM at 7 am($25 weekly). I get out of work at 6:30 to 7 pm and by then the trains are empty or not jam packed as they are during rush hour.
I don't agree

There might be some incidents here and there, but most people go about their lives without having conflicts like this

Old 11-03-2015, 08:28 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
A lot of Americans don't realize that many of the recent Asian immigrants comes from countries where politeness or courtesy doesn't exist. If you try to enforce your own beliefs you're not gonna get through to them. Just about every Chinese from China is only looking out for themselves and they will fight if challenged.
So how does that make them any different from Americans?

Last time I checked, most of the trouble in this country, i.e. murders, robbery, fighting, gangs, rapes, slimey politicians, corporations selling out, etc. are done by 100% born and bred Americans.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:35 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
In Asian culture, it's "acceptable" to call someone as fat because it's socially acceptable.

Fat = Wealth and Skinny = Poor.

A fat woman = fertile and a skinny woman = infertile.

Chinese customs.
No it's not. Calling someone fat (especially a stranger) is insulting universally. Just go up to a fat Chinese person and call them fat and see what kind of reaction you'll get.

You don't know what you are talking about. Just stop embarrassing yourself.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:39 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
So how does that make them any different from Americans?

Last time I checked, most of the trouble in this country, i.e. murders, robbery, fighting, gangs, rapes, slimey politicians, corporations selling out, etc. are done by 100% born and bred Americans.
I'm not defending anyone here, but I dislike your intellectual dishonesty - that there are no cultures. Cultures are collective differences. While I won't comment on "Asian" because it covers so many different, disparate cultures, there is an issue re. Chinese concepts of politeness and American/Northern European concepts of politeness. They are not the same, they jar. Sure you cannot tell beforehand how any one person will act (they are individuals after all, not populations) and you cannot know if someone follows cultural norms. But the preposterous nonsense where you try to conclude politeness isn't part of a mainstream culture in North America due to crime... Intellectual dishonesty abounds for sake of a PC normative.

Cultures = collective differences. Differences = different outcomes and behaviors.

Some cultures treat strangers in a far more welcoming manner than others. Some consider animal lives insignificant, some consider them sacred. In some cultures "littering" isn't even a concept, in others it is verboten. And "politeness," in what we would recognize in a North American sense of the term, is definitely different, or at least certainly not coterminous, with polite interaction you'd experience in Beijing or Guangzhou. There are many differences all over the world about lining up/queuing vs every man for himself. The latter being the height of rudeness in the former cultures.

I hate this preposterous pretense that there are different cultures but that there aren't any differences!

In the present case - I think brightrabbit is onto something re. the pre-video actions of the Caucasian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: