Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 04:42 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times

Advertisements

Have you ever encountered someone standing in a parking spot (to hold it for someone else) that you wanted? And if so, what did you do?

And have you ever tried to hold one for someone else?

My understanding is this is illegal in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 04:44 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
I do not try and take a parking spot that someone is standing in, obviously holding it for someone nearby to pull in. It may be illegal, but for me it's not worth the chance of a violent confrontation.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:45 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I do not try and take a parking spot that someone is standing in, obviously holding it for someone nearby to pull in. It may be illegal, but for me it's not worth the chance of a violent confrontation.
Sounds like a good policy!

Old 11-12-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
This is kind of the conclusion I just arrived at today, after first taking the spot someone was standing in (with the support of a passerby who also thought the spot-saver shouldn't be saving the spot) but ultimately I decided to leave because I didn't want to leave my car there on a street when people were angry with me. And who knows what might happen to my car if I left it there for them to damage or deface.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:51 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Have you ever encountered someone standing in a parking spot (to hold it for someone else) that you wanted? And if so, what did you do?

In Boston people try to lay claim to parking spots in front of their houses using lawn chairs,garbage cans,orange crates,milk crates, floor lamps,etc…..especially in winter after a snow storm !

I have held a spot for someone a few times but only for like less than a minute. Luckily nobody challenged me because I probably would have backed down.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:55 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:

I remember the woman who was punched for standing in a space - put into a coma.
East Village, a few years ago.

Saving a space is not illegal - it's restricting someone from parking or moving freely that is illegal.
So technically it IS illegal.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:57 PM

In the comments section of the blog I linked above, someone made the point that if it were legal, probably a big side business would pop up where kids would come along after street cleaning, "save" all the spots and then start charging people to park in them. I don't know how likely this would be to happen, but it's kind of a funny image.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:13 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:

Yes, all the time and it is getting worse as more and more persons move into Manhattan bringing their vehicles with them.

Went to help someone move a large bit of furniture down in GV hear Horatio Street. Parking was near non-existent and after driving around the block several times came upon a spot. As I began to park this chick came down from the stoop of a building yelling "you can't park here, I'm saving it for someone...". Despite her British accent I was neither moved nor threatened. Told her she didn't own the street and I didn't see her standing in or even near the spot to reserve. Further informed that if my vehicle had even a scratch on it when I came back I'd have her.

Have seen heated fights break out up to and including persons popping their trunk and breaking out bats, tire irons or in one case those bits of metal LE and FDNY use to break glass windows. Dude broke the trunk mirror on a BMW SUV in fight over a parking spot. He was lucky the other driver was a older white man who appeared slightly drunk and just left with his tail between his legs. Had the man called NYPD (the guy who did the smashing works on our street), he would have been arrested and charged.

A co-worker who lives on the UES says on her block there is a man who owns two or three cars *and* a motorcycle. He uses the motorcycle to "block" out spaces when he moves this or that of his other vehicles to reserve the spot for when he returns. This can be hours or sometimes a day or so later. She says that bike has been chucked into the street; had tires slashed, struck and beaten, etc... All by others ticked off.

Now out on the Rock (Staten Island) it is fairly common for persons to use orange cones, trash cans or whatever to "block" the spot in front of their house. You value your life and or property very cheaply if you even attempt to move those cones or whatever.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:15 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
There's one family on my block that sometimes puts their own garbage bins in the street to save a spot. I never take it obviously, don't want to go back to find my car covered with spray paint or have it's windows broken.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:20 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
I have cones in my trunk in case if I need a space or to reserve it. Nothing never happens to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: