Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 06:28 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6969 View Post
It seems like so many or most of the Muslim world are like struggling with many hardships and it can be like a paycheck away for too many from falling into despair etc or right next to that.
This is very true. I I'm not sure if you took up global history, social sciences, world history and history of economics. Prior to Western global domination starting with anno 1492. The Islamic world dominated global trade, academics and culture. Arabic and Persian replaced Greek as an international language. Even barbaric tribes such as Turks and Mongols who conquered Muslim people became the very people they disliked via religion. I have a feeling that these radicals want to shift global power and influence away from NYC, DC and London in favor of the middle east. The Mongols and later Christopher Columbus and Vasco de gamma changed the world and allowed the west to dominate for the next 500 years via conduits like Spain, Portugal, Holland, Britain and former British colony America. At one point Baghdad, Damascus, Cairo Jerusalem and Istanbul dominated culture, trade academics, global politics, philosophy and do on. Also these places were not as conservative. That were freely open, moderate to even liberal. Mongol invasions changed all that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 08:14 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Do you think Obama will finally utter the words "Islamic terrorism" or will he just try to spin this as the usual work place violence. O will probably blame global warming and the NRA. Liberals are delusional. Its time for America to wake the f up and vote a true commander in chief.

And do WHAT?

Old 12-11-2015, 06:25 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,413,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You want to be in a "fair fight" with someone wielding a knife? I don't.
I imagine that OWL6969 just thinks that all he/she need do is to spit at the attacker or to stick his/her tongue out at them or read them some Bible passages about "Thou shall not kill" and that will send the attackers just running for cover or the attackers will just throwing up their hands in defeat and saying "I surrender".

Last edited by UsAll; 12-11-2015 at 06:44 AM..

Old 12-11-2015, 06:43 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,413,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Your not to bright. Los Angeles has the busiest port in the country. Plenty of goods flow in and out of LA and it's port. If LA port area was attacked, this can cause a problem.
Do places like Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Denver, and a host of others have any importance to the assorted terrorist elements (even if they are not as strategic centers of power such as NYC and DC)?

With Boston and Philadephia (for instance), I'd think they may be inclined to attack them just for the sake of the symbolic value of such attacks (i.e., they are the birthplaces of the nation as to the American Revolution, the Declaration of Independence, the Liberty Bell, home to Benjamin Franklin, the home of some of America's most premier institutions such as Harvard + MIT + Tufts + Boston Univ + Univ of Penn and so on, et al).

Last edited by UsAll; 12-11-2015 at 06:58 AM..

Old 12-11-2015, 08:10 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
Do places like Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Denver, and a host of others have any importance to the assorted terrorist elements (even if they are not as strategic centers of power such as NYC and DC)?
The more recent attacks don't seem to make any particular sense when considered for their importance to their targets. I suspect the message isn't intended for us; the message is intended for their supporters and enemies in the Middle East, that they can hit the West.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:13 PM

539 posts, read 523,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This is very true. I I'm not sure if you took up global history, social sciences, world history and history of economics. Prior to Western global domination starting with anno 1492. The Islamic world dominated global trade, academics and culture. Arabic and Persian replaced Greek as an international language. Even barbaric tribes such as Turks and Mongols who conquered Muslim people became the very people they disliked via religion. I have a feeling that these radicals want to shift global power and influence away from NYC, DC and London in favor of the middle east. The Mongols and later Christopher Columbus and Vasco de gamma changed the world and allowed the west to dominate for the next 500 years via conduits like Spain, Portugal, Holland, Britain and former British colony America. At one point Baghdad, Damascus, Cairo Jerusalem and Istanbul dominated culture, trade academics, global politics, philosophy and do on. Also these places were not as conservative. That were freely open, moderate to even liberal. Mongol invasions changed all that.
they're more than welcome to take over culture again, as long as it includes booze and women. Otherwise, naw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City