U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 04:39 PM

853 posts, read 820,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Yorkville needs the Second Avenue Subway SOOO bad. Ride the 4,5,or 6 lines and you will see what I mean.

On Northbound trains the #6 virtually EMPTIES by 96th Street. The need for Harlem to get another line is NOT that great.

So every effort must be made to get Phase 1 done. Nothing must slow that down, not a single penny or a single worker diverted.
No one is disputing that Yorkville needs the 2nd Ave subway badly. Absolutely no-one. But the 6 line doesn not empty at 96th. Not even close. Despite your anecdotal evidence, ridership shows that the entire Lexington Ave line needs the second ave line, not just Yorkville. The situation is worse at the UES stops, that's true but the stops in Harlem, particularly 125th, also need relief. Getting riders off the Lexington Ave line at 125th st will clear up space for UES riders on the Lexington Ave line.

I don't know what you're talking about, honestly, the only ones slowing down Phase 1 are UES residents themselves. No one else, certainly not anyone in Harlem, is calling for money to be diverted from phase 1. Phase 1 is fully funded, and is expected to open a few months behind target (spring 2017.) I repeat, not one cent has been diverted from Phase 1. But money was cut from the budget thanks to Governor Cuomo's inaction. What got cut as a result was work on Phase 2. AGAIN, I repeat, not one dime was taken from Phase 1's budget. All people in Harlem are asking for is that work on Phase 2 begin as soon as work on Phase 1 is DONE. That is not an unreasonable request.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 05:32 PM

4,187 posts, read 3,537,123 times
Quote:
I KNEW they were going to delay Phase 1 to cater to Harlem. Dammit! I guess expecting the MTA to learn the proper order of One Two Three Four might be asking for too much.
not true. with this latest update it's gonna expedite the process. part of the tunnel in EH is already constructed under second avenue. the MTA needs to use the mole to do the rest. i believe that's why the MTA is under fire. the logistics, and the money is there. they're obviously being lazy

Old 11-16-2015, 05:39 PM

4,187 posts, read 3,537,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
No one is disputing that Yorkville needs the 2nd Ave subway badly. Absolutely no-one. But the 6 line doesn not empty at 96th. Not even close. Despite your anecdotal evidence, ridership shows that the entire Lexington Ave line needs the second ave line, not just Yorkville. The situation is worse at the UES stops, that's true but the stops in Harlem, particularly 125th, also need relief. Getting riders off the Lexington Ave line at 125th st will clear up space for UES riders on the Lexington Ave line.

I don't know what you're talking about, honestly, the only ones slowing down Phase 1 are UES residents themselves. No one else, certainly not anyone in Harlem, is calling for money to be diverted from phase 1. Phase 1 is fully funded, and is expected to open a few months behind target (spring 2017.) I repeat, not one cent has been diverted from Phase 1. But money was cut from the budget thanks to Governor Cuomo's inaction. What got cut as a result was work on Phase 2. AGAIN, I repeat, not one dime was taken from Phase 1's budget. All people in Harlem are asking for is that work on Phase 2 begin as soon as work on Phase 1 is DONE. That is not an unreasonable request.
+1

125th street and lex is a mad house at all times. EH really needs it.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:16 PM

172 posts, read 122,406 times
They should try something different this time, and do the phases in reverse for a change. I'm sure that would help, somehow

Old 11-17-2015, 06:42 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,712,370 times
Just finish the God Damn tunnel already. Christ I could have dug one faster with a pick ax and spade shovel,

Old 11-20-2015, 07:23 AM

20,287 posts, read 26,729,256 times
Quote:

But the 6 line doesn not empty at 96th.
It really DOES.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:31 AM

23,363 posts, read 16,305,153 times
Quote:
It really DOES.
Stop trolling on such an important issue.

It does not. I took the 6 train to 96th Street for years, and there were plenty of people who stayed on that train to East Harlem and the Bronx.

Work on phase one is not being slowed down by the MTA's commitment of phase 2. To make the Second Avenue Subway fully useful to people on the East Side it will ultimately have to be built the full length of Manhattan. This also provides redundancy so at nights if need be they can shut the Lex down for repairs.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:31 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,896,988 times
Quote:
It really DOES.
Agree, has not changed so much.
It is the same with 59th on the west side, that has changed a bit. Although, on those trains you also have the people going to Inwood.

Do not get the denial about this. It doesn't change the fact.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:00 PM

5,772 posts, read 5,270,744 times
The 4 and 5 train sure are over crowed after 86th street. Wish something could be done about that.
I'm in the Bronx and some mornings I'm on the train by 5am and there is standing room only. You'd think leaving so early you'd get a seat but nope.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:28 PM

2,270 posts, read 2,658,496 times
Quote:
On Northbound trains the #6 virtually EMPTIES by 96th Street.
You probably only ride that way on a specific time frame cause this is not true at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or