U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-15-2015, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
27 posts, read 27,521 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

...or, technically $15,720.00. I calculated costs based on my research (breakdown is below) and according to that, to live comfortably at the bare minimum (i.e. not be hungry, not be naked, etc.). Here's my month-to-month breakdown:
  • Rent - $850.00/month (Roommate situation!)
  • Rental Insurance - $15.00/month
  • Unlimited Use MetroCard - $120.00.00/month
  • Internet - $30.00/month
  • Misc. Utilities - $50.00/month
  • Laundry - $15.00/month
  • Personal Care Items - $30.00/month
  • Groceries - $200.00/month

As far as entertainment and anything else goes, if it ain't free, it ain't for me.

But really, what I need to know is if you can realistically live in Manhattan for this much money. I know that the rent is doable so that isn't up for debate.

I don't plan to be living at this income level forever, just for a year or two until I finish my associates degree and are able to get a higher paying job (while I work on my bachelors for another two years). If I need more money, I'll be able to access it but I don't want to spend anymore than I have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-15-2015, 07:13 PM
 
23,260 posts, read 16,076,440 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJMac02 View Post
...or, technically $15,720.00. I calculated costs based on my research (breakdown is below) and according to that, to live comfortably at the bare minimum (i.e. not be hungry, not be naked, etc.). Here's my month-to-month breakdown:
  • Rent - $850.00/month (Roommate situation!)
  • Rental Insurance - $15.00/month
  • Unlimited Use MetroCard - $120.00.00/month
  • Internet - $30.00/month
  • Misc. Utilities - $50.00/month
  • Laundry - $15.00/month
  • Personal Care Items - $30.00/month
  • Groceries - $200.00/month

As far as entertainment and anything else goes, if it ain't free, it ain't for me.

But really, what I need to know is if you can realistically live in Manhattan for this much money. I know that the rent is doable so that isn't up for debate.

I don't plan to be living at this income level forever, just for a year or two until I finish my associates degree and are able to get a higher paying job (while I work on my bachelors for another two years). If I need more money, I'll be able to access it but I don't want to spend anymore than I have to.
Not a realistic grocery, personal care, or laundry bill. You're going to need additional money. I doubt anyone would rent to someone this poor because any major disaster that caused you to miss a day or two without working means you couldn't pay the rent. Unless you have financial support from family or money in the bank it cannot be done in so low a salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2015, 08:11 PM
 
17 posts, read 15,835 times
Reputation: 28
Is this before or after tax? I am in grad school making about $25,000 but 3/4 of that comes in the form of an untaxed Fellowship, which helps a lot, the rest is in the form of a taxed stipend. I am able to make ends meet by shopping sales at the grocery store, etc. Groceries cost me $200-300 a month depending on what I'm making, usually a lot of pasta. I usually get takeout once a week so that's not included, but around an extra $50/month. Laundry costs me about $5 a week at my laundromat (2x$1.50 washers, $1.50 for 1 dryer). My entertainment has been a movie or maybe a cheap night at a bar once every other weekend or so, no more than $20. I'm in grad school and have a lot of work, usually I can't go out every weekend anyway, so this is ok for me, but that is not a life a lot of people want to lead. Making friends and socializing generally costs money especially if you're new to a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2015, 08:22 PM
 
10,613 posts, read 20,750,046 times
Reputation: 8155
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJMac02 View Post
...or, technically $15,720.00. I calculated costs based on my research (breakdown is below) and according to that, to live comfortably at the bare minimum (i.e. not be hungry, not be naked, etc.). Here's my month-to-month breakdown:
  • Rent - $850.00/month (Roommate situation!)
  • Rental Insurance - $15.00/month
  • Unlimited Use MetroCard - $120.00.00/month
  • Internet - $30.00/month
  • Misc. Utilities - $50.00/month
  • Laundry - $15.00/month
  • Personal Care Items - $30.00/month
  • Groceries - $200.00/month

As far as entertainment and anything else goes, if it ain't free, it ain't for me.

But really, what I need to know is if you can realistically live in Manhattan for this much money. I know that the rent is doable so that isn't up for debate.

I don't plan to be living at this income level forever, just for a year or two until I finish my associates degree and are able to get a higher paying job (while I work on my bachelors for another two years). If I need more money, I'll be able to access it but I don't want to spend anymore than I have to.
Seems like you're forgetting some big items, like a cell phone, any type of health care, household/cleaning items, travel for anywhere that's out of the city, clothing, etc. So I think you need to go back and re-do your budget. Since you're coming from the south, I assume you'd need to at least build in a winter clothing budget.

Also, you mention realistically living in "Manhattan" -- why Manhattan? There are much cheaper options in all other boroughs with the exception of prime Brooklyn, which is just as expensive as Manhattan.

There are also other start-up expenses for school and housing that you need to consider, like the fact that you will probably need rent x 3 to move in.

I suggest you speak to a college guidance counselor if your parents are not aware enough to advise you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2015, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
27 posts, read 27,521 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Not a realistic grocery, personal care, or laundry bill. You're going to need additional money. I doubt anyone would rent to someone this poor because any major disaster that caused you to miss a day or two without working means you couldn't pay the rent. Unless you have financial support from family or money in the bank it cannot be done in so low a salary.
My father has been previously and will continue to be a gaurantor. $16k isn't all of the money that I have. $12k is a very conservative income estimate plus $4k from my savings which is all that I would LIKE to spend but I have much more money that I could use from my savings. I'm just trying to figure out how much I should be taking out of my savings to supplement my living expenses.

What would you suggest as a realistic for the expenses that you've listed? That's really the purpose of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2015, 08:28 PM
 
10,613 posts, read 20,750,046 times
Reputation: 8155
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJMac02 View Post
My father has been previously and will continue to be a gaurantor. $16k isn't all of the money that I have. $12k is a very conservative income estimate plus $4k from my savings which is all that I would LIKE to spend but I have much more money that I could use from my savings. I'm just trying to figure out how much I should be taking out of my savings to supplement my living expenses.

What would you suggest as a realistic for the expenses that you've listed? That's really the purpose of this.
Do a search for "budget" within the NYC forum only and see if you can look at some other threads where others have made budgets for themselves. The thing is that each person's budget is going to be different depending on their income level. You will need to find a "scraping by" budget vs someone's budget who makes $50K per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2015, 08:31 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
27 posts, read 27,521 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Seems like you're forgetting some big items, like a cell phone, any type of health care, household/cleaning items, travel for anywhere that's out of the city, clothing, etc. So I think you need to go back and re-do your budget. Since you're coming from the south, I assume you'd need to at least build in a winter clothing budget.

Also, you mention realistically living in "Manhattan" -- why Manhattan? There are much cheaper options in all other boroughs with the exception of prime Brooklyn, which is just as expensive as Manhattan.

There are also other start-up expenses for school and housing that you need to consider, like the fact that you will probably need rent x 3 to move in.

I suggest you speak to a college guidance counselor if your parents are not aware enough to advise you.
My cell phone is on a Verizon family plan with my parents and my health care plan is also paid for by them, so I need not worry about that although I did forget cleaning supplies. Travel has previously been and will continue to be placed in my student loans and it's actually cheaper to travel to New York from Atlanta and back compared to my previous expenses, and my parents also cover my clothing expenses but I shop mostly H&M, etc. sales so those expenses are minimal. I winter in the mountains so winter clothes are already plentiful.

I say Manhattan because it is by far the most expensive and I'm trying to cushion my budget plus my school is in Manhattan but I wouldn't have a problem living in any of the other boroughs as long as the commute is an hour or less which should be pretty easy to come by.

I have plenty of savings that will more than cover a deposit, hotel stays, furniture, and supplements to my monthly living expenses. $16k is a base number and my ideal budget. It can go up several thousand more if needed. I guess I should have mentioned that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2015, 03:02 AM
 
23,260 posts, read 16,076,440 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJMac02 View Post
My father has been previously and will continue to be a gaurantor. $16k isn't all of the money that I have. $12k is a very conservative income estimate plus $4k from my savings which is all that I would LIKE to spend but I have much more money that I could use from my savings. I'm just trying to figure out how much I should be taking out of my savings to supplement my living expenses.

What would you suggest as a realistic for the expenses that you've listed? That's really the purpose of this.
For food if you want to eat reasonable well I'm going to say $400 a month plus if you're working and going to school you may want to eat some meals out of the home.

Laundry I'd say $50 a month. You may be able to go under these things some but you want to slightly over budget so you won't be too tight.

Rental insurance is close to right can be $12-$20 a month.

Internet and utilities depending on your apartment can be close to what you're suggesting, so that's sort of on target. Some places will be more and some will be less. Some will have internet and utilities in the rent. It just depends. Some won't.

Your parents have your cell phone, health insurance, and travel covered so that is good. Plus they can help you out with clothes, and added to that they can act as guarantor.

So yes you can do Manhattan on this budget adjusted depending on WHERE in Manhattan. You also want to be reasonably close to your classes. Not sure which community college you're going to, but try to live as close to it as your budget will allow. As a student you do not want to waste time commuting long distances, especially if you aren't from NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2015, 04:17 AM
dun
 
193 posts, read 160,042 times
Reputation: 277
unless youre coming here to study at NYU or Columbia in a field that you are 100% sure youll get a lucrative job offer in after you graduate with a flying colors, id stay close to home for schooling. no sense in comin here, diggin into your savings and your parents savings (unless you/they have unlimited funds-which it doesnt sound like), living dirt poor, and graduatin with a degree in english and 200k in debt. id seriously reconsider attending a public or state school in georgia if i were you. nyc is a revolving door. most get chewed up and spit back out to places north or south of the city within a couple of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2015, 05:09 AM
 
30,343 posts, read 31,211,318 times
Reputation: 14016
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJMac02 View Post
...or, technically $15,720.00. I calculated costs based on my research (breakdown is below) and according to that, to live comfortably at the bare minimum (i.e. not be hungry, not be naked, etc.). Here's my month-to-month breakdown:
  • Rent - $850.00/month (Roommate situation!)
  • Rental Insurance - $15.00/month
  • Unlimited Use MetroCard - $120.00.00/month
  • Internet - $30.00/month
  • Misc. Utilities - $50.00/month
  • Laundry - $15.00/month
  • Personal Care Items - $30.00/month
  • Groceries - $200.00/month

As far as entertainment and anything else goes, if it ain't free, it ain't for me.

But really, what I need to know is if you can realistically live in Manhattan for this much money. I know that the rent is doable so that isn't up for debate.

I don't plan to be living at this income level forever, just for a year or two until I finish my associates degree and are able to get a higher paying job (while I work on my bachelors for another two years). If I need more money, I'll be able to access it but I don't want to spend anymore than I have to.
This might be possible if you have absolutely no unforeseen expenses and are not planning on having a cellphone (which isn't your above mentioned budget as misc. utilities would cover electricity & gas perhaps).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top