Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 08:25 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I think it's like that poster said that every once in a while they enforce it to let people know they can if they wanted to. But day to day it's not really enforced. And I travel around areas that have serious parking issues and I don't see it enforced. I happen to live in an area where finding street parking is not an issue so I'm lucky.

Don't you live in SI? I could see how it would be more of an issue there. A lot of drivers and many of the streets are narrow.

Was born and raised on the Rock (and will be there on Thursday...), but live in the City.

Honestly don't even know if they have ASSP on SI. My parents and most of our family have homes with large enough driveways plus a garage so street parking isn't needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 03:52 PM

624 posts, read 982,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Oh dearie me; you have no idea what to do with your vehicle on ASSP days for one and one-half hours if you cannot double park. This city is becoming full of hot house orchids.
So if you know so well, tell me where I should leave my car for that time? I don't know where you live but in my neighborhood its nearly impossible to find a different parking spot during cleaning time. If everyone were forced to do this it would be chaos. A lot of us have jobs and cannot sit in the car for 1 and a half hours doing nothing. Also my block does street cleaning twice a week on each side, so that's 4 out of 5 days we have to do this double parking dance.

Quote:
There is no official "allowance" just persons playing around with law of averages. Every now and then NYPD officers or even worse traffic enforcement agent or agents go on a tear; then you all better watch out. In fact am always more worried about TEAs than the Po-Po. Traffic enforcement have just one job to do and a good many of them take it *VERY* seriously. I have seen on more than a few occasions a TEA tell parked or double parked vehicles on ASSP days to "move". If they didn't and or gave him/her lip out came the scanner....

I think it depends entirely on the neighborhood and the local cops. Take a drive up Mosholu north at 8:30 one day. You'll see the entire strip is double parked from end to end. They would have to give a ticket to half the neighborhood if they were to enforce. Flow of traffic is not affected at all because all of the parked cars on one side just shift to the other. The only people who stand to lose are those trapped inside the double parked cars. If you live here and you need to get out during cleaning time you learn very quickly to get your car out before 8:30.

Old 11-25-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
So if you know so well, tell me where I should leave my car for that time? I don't know where you live but in my neighborhood its nearly impossible to find a different parking spot during cleaning time. If everyone were forced to do this it would be chaos. A lot of us have jobs and cannot sit in the car for 1 and a half hours doing nothing. Also my block does street cleaning twice a week on each side, so that's 4 out of 5 days we have to do this double parking dance.

I think it depends entirely on the neighborhood and the local cops. Take a drive up Mosholu north at 8:30 one day. You'll see the entire strip is double parked from end to end. They would have to give a ticket to half the neighborhood if they were to enforce. Flow of traffic is not affected at all because all of the parked cars on one side just shift to the other. The only people who stand to lose are those trapped inside the double parked cars. If you live here and you need to get out during cleaning time you learn very quickly to get your car out before 8:30.

Bottom line is *YOU* made the choice to own a vehicle in NYC. Well choices have consequences...

It is not for me nor anyone else to find a solution to the problem of where you should "leave" your vehicle during ASSP. Again it is your car and your problem.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:38 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
It is not for me nor anyone else to find a solution to the problem of where you should "leave" your vehicle during ASSP. Again it is your car and your problem.
Actually a solution has been found. It's called double parking during the street cleaning hours. Been doing it five years, never gotten a ticket, and while I do leave a note with my number on my dash, I've never gotten one phone call.

It's a system, and it works fine.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:49 PM

205 posts, read 246,792 times
thing thing is the vast majority do not atleast in the bronx. I walked passed at least 20 Double parked cars and not one had a number written. seriously what is wrong these people?

Old 11-27-2015, 10:25 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
I saw something I felt was unfair. A sweeper went through 15 minutes after the 2 hour time slot began and everyone dutifully moved their cars, some going around the block, some double parking for a couple minutes. Street got cleaned.
Then they all re-parked their cars. A few minutes later a cop came through and ticketed them all.
Seemed a bit sleazy to me even if the cars violated the "letter of the sign."

Back in NJ, you got the ticket BEFORE the sweeper, not after. Then you were preventing the street from being completely cleaned.

One has to wonder if common sense disqualifies applicants for the NYPD?

Old 11-27-2015, 02:05 PM

205 posts, read 246,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I saw something I felt was unfair. A sweeper went through 15 minutes after the 2 hour time slot began and everyone dutifully moved their cars, some going around the block, some double parking for a couple minutes. Street got cleaned.
Then they all re-parked their cars. A few minutes later a cop came through and ticketed them all.

Back in NJ, you got the ticket BEFORE the sweeper, not after. Then you were preventing the street from being completely cleaned.

on a serious note a really high IQ does. Smart enough to follow orders but too stupid to ask questions.

Old 11-27-2015, 05:30 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times
Quote:

This is an issue that flares up from time to time. Every now and then the borough presidents or someone along those lines will advocate to change the law so that you can move your car as soon as the sweeper has passed, but the city pushes back saying that sometimes the sweeper requires multiple passes (yeah, right, in some other universe maybe), and nothing every changes.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:

Laws are not written to be "fair".

Sign clearly states "No Parking from "X" to "X"" which is the law. It always amazes me how persons want LE or whomever to use selective judgment in when to enforce. Not saying sometimes NYPD does not use their discretion, but shouldn't count on it happening all the time.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:57 PM

Small business owner down the street from us has one of those sketchy silver badges or whatever they are called you can purchase. They are designed to mimic or represent some sort of law enforcement ID so you can park illegally and not get tickets.

Every day this SOB parks his Mercedes in front of a church (no parking), on hydrants and does not move his car on ASSP, not a single ticket.

This morning he rolled up in front of this business just as that side of the street was being cleared of vehicles by owners because of ASSP. So he parks in front and goes inside. Comes out for a smoke and notices the sweeper is coming down the street. Does the SOB move his car? No he does not; stubs out his cigarette, glares at the sweeper and saunters over towards Starbucks.

He has been doing this for almost two years and again to date have never seen anyone touch his vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: