Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 12:53 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,393,740 times

Advertisements

When the dancing stopped I stopped exercising as much !

I could go for hours some nights on just a little weed. It felt so good for both my body and soul. I was heartbroken when the cabaret laws went into effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 06:13 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,169,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yes, I went to clubs to get my dance on! nothing beat a nice evening of drinking and dancing after a hard day's work. I think I stayed thin by being on a booze diet and dancing for hours.

At the risk of sounding old, I hate the FB era with selfies and crap...
I'm kinda in between eras but I hate most social media.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:46 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,956,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Well, nightlife has changed a lot in the last 15 years. It used to be the case that everyone went to the club to dance. This was before Facebook. Before camera phones. Before selfies. Before every woman carried a digital camera in her purse (this was before camera phones became high resolution). You simply went to the club and danced.

Fast forward and the club scene is dominated by bottle service. Bottle service ruined the nightlife experience.

I think most people would still enjoy the pre-bottle service clubbing days.
And I remember, VIP was for real VIP. Today, anyone can get behind the red-rope.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:46 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,149,221 times
Pretty much anyone under 50 has never been to a real club in NY. And anyone under 30 does not even know the concept.

Area, Studio 54, Limelight, CBGB, Mudd Club, Dancetria, Save the Robots,Palladium, Roxy all are long gone.

First raising the drinking age to 18, then raising it to 19 then finally 21 was a kick in the nuts. Took the entire college crowd out of club scene. Then even after age was raised no one took it seriously and anyone with a fake times square license could get in. Today very strict. One club on Long Island only opened in Summer called Pops, which gets packed. Actually proofs guy for 23 and girls for 21. Meanwhile back in the day clubs proofed guys for 18 and if girls were 16 they got in.

Folks think I am a lot older than I am. But I was last of the era when they proofed for 18 and bars/clubs were lax. I remember hitting clubs and bars in tenth and eleventh grade in HS, one day in particular and "oldies" band was playing. Stepphen Wolfe at the club and it had a free cover if you had a pass from the radio station. I got home at 4:15 am druck as skunk and my tenth grade Spanish teacher almost sent me to nurse as I passed out in class I as so tired.

I was big in club scene back in day. I used to go out to clubs around 2-3 times a week for around a 15 year period.

Today they are all gone. Not just night clubs used to be 100s of bars/clubs that played live rock music and stuff back in the 1980s/1990s, all are pretty much gone now.

And pre-cell phones and digital cameras celebs hung out a lot more and did crazy things. I used to know a few celebs back in day. Not really, but you see them in clubs, they say hi, you chat. One night in particular I was talking to Sugar Ray Lenard, Joe Montana and Evandor Hollyfield at a bar and up walks Pat Riley of Lakers with Steve Austin (six million dollar man) and John Travolta who at time was washed up as this was right before pulp fiction.

Another time I was crazy drunk and got into an arguement with Rod Stewart in college, I finally yelled seven ounces Rod which was a rumour he was bi and swallowed that much one night. Man oh man his posse was jumping me, luckily I was a regular and "bouncer" threw me out for my own protection.

My buddy owned a few clubs, Milk Bar, Octogon, to name a few. At one point he had 3-5 clubs one held several thousand people. Today he owns one restaurant in Midtown. The club era dead for good.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:06 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,956,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
When the dancing stopped I stopped exercising as much !

I could go for hours some nights on just a little weed. It felt so good for both my body and soul. I was heartbroken when the cabaret laws went into effect.
Let me tell you how much it has changed. I have seen our very own Roger Sanchez at Crowbar NYC 2004, in Thailand, Australia, Miami Space Terrace a few times and it was always fun times.

Ole Roger the S-man comes to DC a couple months back to the new 18+ venue (soundcheck) and these kids had absolutely no idea how to act. The opener had no idea what he was doing first of all. But they simply stood there like at a rock concert. It was really strange to the point that even the lady and I felt uncomfortable dancing in the middle of the room as we normally like to do. Not only that, it was a Sunday, they had only been open 2 months, and the space was 65% at capacity. People forget that the same way artist development no longer exists, music management, promotion, and nightlife development is also an art.

It's a conditioning process that is taking over our clubs. I went to see Gabriel and Dresden in LA this past May. It was the same- the entire opera theater turned nightclub was facing the dj in uniform. It was INSANE!!

This is the Roger I know. When I saw him at soundcheck, I actually left after 45 min he was on. That was my first in over 10 years.... It wasn't because of him specifically, it's simply due to lack of atmosphere development. It's now an EDM (Event Driven Music) culture and as a result, we tore down the old ways of clubbing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg0pN4E6dOM

Old 12-02-2015, 08:15 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,886,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
Pretty much anyone under 50 has never been to a real club in NY. And anyone under 30 does not even know the concept.

Not true - granted the places were few. Now definitely gone.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:40 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,834,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post

Area, Studio 54, Limelight, CBGB, Mudd Club, Dancetria, Save the Robots,Palladium, Roxy all are long gone.

Another time I was crazy drunk and got into an arguement with Rod Stewart in college, I finally yelled seven ounces Rod which was a rumour he was bi and swallowed that much one night. Man oh man his posse was jumping me, luckily I was a regular and "bouncer" threw me out for my own protection.

My buddy owned a few clubs, Milk Bar, Octogon, to name a few. At one point he had 3-5 clubs one held several thousand people. Today he owns one restaurant in Midtown. The club era dead for good.
Goodbye and good riddance to the clubs.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:47 AM

18,368 posts, read 31,462,319 times
what a sin.

I went to a "New Years day night" party there. It was fun, danced till the sun came up and then some. I might have went a few more times after that don't really remember.

We go to the "Alegria" parties at Webster Hall, or where ever they have them, they are fun also, and im thinking martin luther weekedn we will go...

Santos Party House is another good club as well, as well as Capitale...and Splash....

I went to the last dance at "Roxy", they made it sound like the wrecking ball was going to be there the next day, and here it is 2015 ant it is still standing, that was a dam shame!!
also went to the last dance at "Palladium".......
I didnt make the last dance at "Limelight" though

as far a dress code, LOl, for the boyz there is none, the shirt is coming off within the first 6 minutes.....lol

I think what also happens is that the lease is finished and the owner just dont feel like doing it anymore. I know Splash was open for like 25 years, and im sure they were just over it......that was sad, we used to get in for free for about 10 years because of the special splash cards we had gotten from one of the promoters, still have......those were the days.......pop a pill, dance all night.....and boy did I have abs back them....................................

Bu now at my age, it doesnt matter, we dont do it as often as we used to, our bodies just cant do it anymore.......***sigh****

Last edited by nightcrawler; 12-02-2015 at 09:06 AM..

Old 12-02-2015, 09:04 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,886,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
r.

we go to the alegria parties at webster hall, or where ever they have them, they are fun also.
santos party house is another good club as well, as well as Capitale...and Splash....
Agree !

Old 12-02-2015, 10:43 AM

18,368 posts, read 31,462,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Agree !

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City