Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2008, 06:32 AM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times

Advertisements

I'm headin' up to Boston and New York in late-March for a much-needed vacation and to decide which city I want to live in when I move late this year or early next. I've booked everything except for my hotel in NYC.

Can anybody recommend one that's good and doesn't go above $150 a night? Ideally, I'm looking at $130 tops. Crazy, I know. $150-180 is stretching it for me.

I've been looking at the Pan American Hotel on Queens Boulevard and the Howard Johnson Inn Yankee Stadium. Either looks like a fine choice, but I just wanted another opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 10:31 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,874,805 times
OK, it has been a few years since I was near either of these hotels but up until then these hotels were used as emergency shelters for families and were the pits. I wouldn't recommend either one.... however, with the tourist boom recently it may have changed for the better.

I would be surprised if you could find one in Manhattan (or even close) for that price. If you are willing to travel a little bit you may want to check out some of the hotels around LaGuardia & JFK but I still think you are going to be around $200 a night. If you will have a car try the hotels around the Meadowlands. I see that the Hampton Inn has rooms starting at $179 & Ridgefield Park at $134... Staten island $169. You will be about 30 minutes from Midtown.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:54 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,101,509 times
Have you researched on TripAdvisor.com? Brilliant site! If you don't know it, TripAdvisor.com is a categorized collection of travel reviews from real travelers, of cities, attractions, hotels, motels, B&Bs, restaurants, rides, tours, malls, etc. etc. I drained it of information to create in super detail: a 6-week trip to Peru, two 1-week trips to different parts of Alaska, a 1-week trip to Orlando/Tampa, and two one-week trips to different parts of Washington state. Enjoy! :-)

Old 02-03-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
the Pan American Hotel on Queens Boulevard and the Howard Johnson Inn Yankee Stadium.
The Pan American on Queens Blvd. is in Elmhurst. That's out in Queens, not in Manhattan. It's going to be some 20 to 30 minutes from your hotel door by the #7 subway to mid-Manhattan. Elmhurst is not a wonderful place -- but if you're a tall, muscular, strong-looking guy you could probably deal with Elmhurst.

This is what other travelers said on TripAdvisor about the Pan American in Elmhurst:
Pan American Hotel (Elmhurst, NY) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

Yankee Stadium is in the Bronx, north of Manhattan and about 25 to 30 minutes by subway from mid Manhattan. The Bronx is also not a wonderful place to walk around if you're not as I described above. Also, the subways themselves between midtown and the Bronx are not desirable. I'm a woman who spent the first 30 years of my life in Manhattan and know in my bones how to behave there, and I wouldn't take subways to the Bronx...

Here's what other travelers had to say about HoJo's at Yankee Stadium:
Howard Johnson Inn Yankee Stadium (Bronx, NY) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

I wish you well! :-)

Old 02-04-2008, 08:25 AM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
I didn't once mention Manhattan in my original post, but thanks for helpin' me out in detail.

Went with the Americana Inn. Not fancy, but in a good location. This is a trip on a budget, and I don't really need nor can I afford a plus-$200 hotel.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:07 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,982 times
Just got a message from a friend who's coming up for the weekend, staying just across the Hudson at Marriott Courtyard Newport (Jersey City). It's a 10 minute ride to midtown on the PATH train, right outside the door. She's paying $169 (or less). If you don't mind losing the convenience of a central location (and I understand this is important with young children), it may be worth considering.

Last edited by Carbro; 02-04-2008 at 12:33 PM..

Old 02-04-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I didn't once mention Manhattan in my original post.
You're right -- you didn't. And you DID mention "NYC" in your original post. There is only one "NYC" and that is Manhattan, which is why we provided information about NYC. You also mentioned "New York" in the context of a city, along with Boston, and there is only one city called "New York" which is why we provided information about it. Perhaps being more specific about location names might have helped us to provide you with information that you actually wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City