Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2015, 06:59 PM

45 posts, read 51,654 times

Advertisements

Hi for the kast few years ive been really wanting to move out to new york city. Sadly im a 23 year old who has just now started community college so that may not be for a while. Someone on this site told me once that i should visit the city before anything. So i want to plan a visit for maybe a day or two. Most likely two. So for someone who wants to move to the city what should i do and where should i go to get the perfect experiance out of it. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 08:09 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,773,635 times
Different age ranges, different cultures, different points of view will give you so many different opinions and suggestions. What are things you're into would help to know.

Some people ONLY go to broadway shows because they think thats the only type of theater experience that matters and feel high end. Lots of off broadway shows and off off broadway shows can offer entertainment as well.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:10 PM
dun

193 posts, read 226,268 times
u should read up on tht1guy's posts on this forum before u make any moves

http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=21267680

Old 12-09-2015, 08:55 PM

45 posts, read 51,654 times
For me personally i dont care i wanna see everything the city has to offer. A broadway show would be awesome central park just seeing the buildings would be enough for me haha. But i dont know really.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:58 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
New York City in Three Days / nycgo.com

There are other blogs that cover the same topic. Google "2 day itinerary visit to NYC" or something like that.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:21 AM

993 posts, read 1,385,270 times
Before I answer what you asked, I'm taking a few paragraphs about how to help make your longterm plan come true, about moving to NYC. Use your time at community college in a smart way. I recommend, if you haven't already thought along these lines, to read up now and understand the kinds of jobs specifically needed in the NYC labor market.

Our country suffers from a "Middle Skills Job Gap." Community colleges are well-placed to fill this gap as they train the next entering workforce.

In NYC, areas of greatest employment need have been identified as: Healthcare (for current jobs) and Information Technology (for future jobs). As just ONE of many examples for "Middle Skills" in those fields, courses on medical billing or specific medical technologies might be available at your CC. For information technology, as just ONE example, Graphic Design might help someday to find entry work in media here. Talk to your counselor at the CC to help figure this out, to best match what they offer in courses to what NYC needs in jobs.

Read for what you find interesting in this report. Dig in, there's a lot here. Keep talking to your counselors at your CC over the years, so your program of study aligns with NYC job market.

https://www.jpmorganchase.com/corpor...AP-REP-AW6.pdf

Also I hope you (and everyone in your age group) can take one good class in writing. It's a skill that seems to be falling apart in your generation, thanks to Internet and texting. Someone who can write a decent memo or clear letter of introduction can get a job faster and last longer.
--------
If I had a day or two here, I'd include a bit of daytime at a museum, of anything that interests you. Google "museums NYC" and pick out whatever excites you.

Big ones include:
Museum of Natural History for science, astronomy and anthropology
Metropolitan Museum, for art and more

Small museums for specific interests are also fun and can be interesting. These can be enjoyed in just an hour or two, to drop in while you're in that neighborhood, for example:
Museum of Mathematics
Museum of Photography
Museum of Design (new one near Lincoln Center)
Museum of the City of New York, for city history
various ethnic histories, like Museo del Barrio, Asian History, Jewish Museum etc. Or if you can't decide, and you're down by Battery Park and Ground Zero, stop in to the Museum of Tolerance.

You'll know by looking at the website of each one if it'd interest you, and be sure to notice its location so it fits into your touring plan for the day.

There are even some good choices out in the boroughs, but what's involved in the transportation could take you an hour to get there, depending on where you are staying. For example"
New York Botanical Gardens, for plants, including indoor conservatory nice in winter
Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, same interests
Museum of the Moving Image, in Queens = some history and tech about movies, TV and digital age

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 12-10-2015 at 05:11 AM..

Old 12-10-2015, 04:40 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
It really depends on your interests. Many people visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art and/or the American Museum of Natural which both have suggested contributions (meaning pay what you wish) instead of fixed admissions.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:12 PM

292 posts, read 703,048 times
Before you go, just Google the things you are interested in and jot them down. Also, go with a friend or family member, it will be more exciting.

I don't want to crush your dream but if you decide to move here, be prepared to pay majority of your money to rent. You will be going to Off-off-off Broadway plays instead, eating Ramen noodles. and debating which bills should get paid first and the ones you will skip. Like San Francisco, Denver, West Palm Beach, Washington, D.C. and all the other expensive cities, NYC is way up on the list. You will become part of the "struggle" income earners; you will be working to be poor. Hopefully, your choice of major at your community college will help you land a decent job because many college grads may not end up with six figures. But not all is lost. Just be prepared when or if you decide to move. Do your research and hopefully, if you can get some NYC friends, they can give you some insight, too.

Last edited by Nyalltheway; 12-14-2015 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: