Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 07:32 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Is this person actually on drugs ?

Gee, thanks for the ground-breaking information. I had no idea.

And nor do you is my guess - especially if you think THAT is news.

Yahoo, Burlington Coat Factory. Cannot wait. TD Bank. Time to cash in the change ... oh, wait, there are five others on 125th.

For anyone else, none of these are upscale amenities.

For the record ...? people are hoping on the Columbia building retail spaces but who knows when that will be.
Get over yourself Harlem.

You claimed nothing was happening on 125th Street. I posted that to say you were wrong. You have a number of major retailers already there and you have more coming.

It is old news, as those new stores were announced a few years ago when they signed the deal with the developer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 07:48 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Has anyone claimed here that "nothing" is happening on 125th Street ?
If so, do speak up.

I would be the first to admit I am wrong as opposed to the internet - virtual rather than actual - resident. Who would appear to have tastes that go along with it all. And that's great.

I do believe comments have indicated dissatisfaction with what, precisely, is here, and with what is coming.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:34 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
Quote:
Really appreciate all of the "information" but I actually live here and have for more than a decade. Before that I had family.

Citarella closed ages ago. It wasn't great. It was also really tiny. It was a terrific venue for expensive chocolate as long as it wasn't out of date. Chicken sometimes.

You can't know about an area by reading things and looking at maps. I know exactly where Fairway is located, trust me. Fairway is a "trek" from 125th Street proper and in an entirely different area.

I'm not sure where you live but there aren't any great clubs anywhere in New York. That era is basically over. There ARE a lot of bars in Harlem and they are packed every night.
Please. I've lived on 125th street for plenty enough years to know what goes on in the neighborhood.
Half of Grant Houses can see Fairway from their window. Not my problem you don't shop there.
If 5 years is 'ages' then yes, Citarella closed ages ago.

The Club era certainly is in a decline, but there's 5x as many bars in any of the areas 'gentrified' like Chelsea, LES, Hells Kitchen, Williamsburg, even Crown Heights has a lot of dive hipster bars.

There are not a lot of bars in Harlem, frankly- not a ton in Morningside either.

You need to get out more. '125th proper' It's one freakin' street. I can walk from one side to the other in 25 minutes, and I have... back when it was faster than taking the bus.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Has anyone claimed here that "nothing" is happening on 125th Street ?
If so, do speak up.

I would be the first to admit I am wrong as opposed to the internet - virtual rather than actual - resident. Who would appear to have tastes that go along with it all. And that's great.

I do believe comments have indicated dissatisfaction with what, precisely, is here, and with what is coming.
The most important developments to 125th street are the Whole Foods Complex, and Columbia's Manhattanville Campus.

... and it's pretty clear how those will shape the future.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:35 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Please. I've lived on 125th street for plenty enough years to know what goes on in the neighborhood.
I do not believe it for one moment.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
I do not believe it for one moment.
I've got years of ConEd and TWC bills to prove it. Still have my Parking Permit to Grant Houses... juuuuust in case.

You'd be dead wrong.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:58 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
Call me when East Harlem gets a brick and mortar Starbucks and a Wells Fargo. Or when central Harlem gets a Sephora. That's when you really really know sh** just got real

Old 12-14-2015, 10:10 PM

Another TD bank on 125th? For why? a burlington coat factory? Woo. Where's bed bath and beyond? Bring that to Harlem.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:12 PM

Bring a damn multiplex movie theater to East Harlem. Only when they clean the area up.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:24 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
What is on that spot right now? Is it residential? What will happen to those people living there?

And arent there lots of chinese moving there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City