Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 10:52 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times

Advertisements

Anyone interested in participating in a discussion about the specialized high schools, and getting involved in advocacy to create a pipeline from communities with no representation at those schools, please send me a private message. I operate a nonprofit dedicated to this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And there are even more who end up having to leave the profession or not even being able to get into the profession.

In order to become a lawyer for example not only must one do well on the LSATs, one has to graduate law school and pass the bar. That process alone weeds out a lot of people. The reality of starting your career as a lawyer weeds out a lot of people.

So clearly a person who became a lawyer was good at the academic work. Not everyone can do that.

Ditto for something like engineering or medical school. Not everyone is able to study for those fields. It's extremely difficult and expensive to study something you don't like, and that right there will eliminate huge numbers of people who wanted to go into those professions for the money (the actual requirements).
That happens sometimes and often it doesn't because people become accustomed to a certain lifestyle and they can't figure out how to leave the money behind.

BTW, I did. I left the corporate word and became a social worker. It was a tough transition.

A better approach to this would be to create incentives to get the most talented black and brown students to consider teaching as a profession.

Considerations include cost of living in NYC (shouldn't developers create affordable housing for teachers?)

How about giving them free education at two of the best teaching preparation schools around (Brooklyn College & Queens College)?

How about loan forgiveness in graduate school? They will need the Masters degree to remain employed by the DOE and to increase earnings.

How do you encourage people with college degrees that working for entities like the MTA, despite higher entry level salaries, may not be the best options in the long run?

There are so many factors ... so many questions ... I could chat about this more but work is calling me.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
NYC always draws talented people willing to stay with the DOE. That is not the problem.
I don't agree that they STAY.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:28 PM

415 posts, read 513,911 times
when i grew up, almost all my teachers were Jews.

I wasn't left with any impression that Jews were superior to me.

then again, I have a S-B IQ of 152 and my parent loved each other and provided my brother and I a modest, loving home environment.

Is this what liberals and leftist kooks think? black teachers will make black kids feel better about themselves?

Ugh. You know what will make black kids feel better about themselves? A modest, stable home environment.

Period, the end.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:19 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post

then again, I have a S-B IQ of 152 and my parent loved each other and provided my brother and I a modest, loving home environment.

Is this what liberals and leftist kooks think? black teachers will make black kids feel better about themselves?

Ugh. You know what will make black kids feel better about themselves? A modest, stable home environment.

Period, the end.
Me too! Going to public school in the mid 1980s - all my teachers from kindergarten to 5th grade were Jewish - and they were all old and awesome

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-15-2015, 09:30 PM

205 posts, read 246,587 times
I think 150 IQ which is extremely rare, is the median IQ for forum posters. LOL!

Old 12-15-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSopp77 View Post
I think 150 IQ which is extremely rare, is the median IQ for forum posters. LOL!
very rare. 1 in ~3000 C.I.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:37 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:

Period, the end.
A modest, stable home is impossible without a good JOB.

So if you want that you shouldn't be so opposed to the city employing Black (along with Asian and Hispanic) ADULTS as teachers.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:56 AM

Quote:
A modest, stable home is impossible without a good JOB.

So if you want that you shouldn't be so opposed to the city employing Black (along with Asian and Hispanic) ADULTS as teachers.
I made no claim to stand in opposition. Besides, I wasn't aware that NYC was prohibited from hiring black teachers? This is a canard.

A modest, stable home is easy to provide for a child if it's a priority for 2 married adults. I'm sure you agree with this, yes?

Old 12-16-2015, 03:27 AM

211 posts, read 211,785 times
Quote:
I made no claim to stand in opposition. Besides, I wasn't aware that NYC was prohibited from hiring black teachers? This is a canard.

A modest, stable home is easy to provide for a child if it's a priority for 2 married adults. I'm sure you agree with this, yes?
I don’t agree. Plenty of unmarried couples happen to be great at providing stable homes. Familial stability does not entirely depend on a marriage certificate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City