Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 09:23 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,452,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Agreed and agreed. You can't make assumptions about where people will fit in. I'm sure there are transplants working in schools in South Brooklyn. And in social services and the hospitals. I'm sure there are transplants working at the NY Aquarium in South Brooklyn. And you are right there are lots of immigrants in South Brooklyn.
Right, and I'm pretty sure there are quite a few threads of future transplants asking about such neighborhoods. Even places in The Bronx.I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
There are transplants working in schools, hospitals,etc, in South Brooklyn.

But the question is: do they live in South Brooklyn?

I do (in some ways I could be considered a transplant), but honestly, I'm alone among my friends, none of whom live further south in Brooklyn than Kensington/Ditmas Park. Honestly, that seems like the unofficial dividing line.

Personally I prefer to live in an immigrant and/or working class neighborhood (I am one of the few native born Americans in my apartment building), but most transplants don't.

Unless one is an immigrant from somewhere (in particular the former Soviet Union - South Brooklyn is really predominately Russian in many/most neighborhoods), or an Orthodox Jew (even an American Orthodox Jew), South Brooklyn holds little appeal for most people, especially most transplants.

An exception to the "few native born Americans" theory, is the Syrian Jewish community in Midwood/Gravesend (most of whom are NOT immigrants - most of their ancestors came to NYC as much as 100 years ago), but they are firmly entrenched in a stable community in South Brooklyn, and show no signs of leaving any time soon.
Well I have to imagine that most people who transplant to NYC have job offers in Manhattan, however I'm sure plenty of them find work in places like South Brooklyn. In which case they'll most likely live in the area of their job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 02:44 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,947,516 times
Because subway service to those areas suck

Old 06-08-2016, 10:58 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,588,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Right, and I'm pretty sure there are quite a few threads of future transplants asking about such neighborhoods. Even places in The Bronx.I

Well I have to imagine that most people who transplant to NYC have job offers in Manhattan, however I'm sure plenty of them find work in places like South Brooklyn. In which case they'll most likely live in the area of their job.
Again,most transplants, even if they happen to work in South Brooklyn, will choose to live no further south than Ditmas Park/Kensington.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:11 PM

89 posts, read 74,631 times
I'm a lucky person, since I arrived in NYC as a four year old back in 1970, from a small European country of the Second Great Wave, and own a Sunset Park co op. One day, sooner than later I hope, with the population explosion in Sunset and other nabes, I'll sell it to a transplant, and live on a ranch somewhere in Tennessee or the Rockies even. It's an interesting urban history however, to see how all of these BK and other boro areas have changed throughout the decades, but especially in just the last few years, the population has truly increased. This includes the Asian, Russian and Islamic immigrants, as well as the blonde nasally voiced Waspy yuppies, along with the guitar playing hipsters and bourgeois bohemians without jobs who's MD Dads pay for this adventure.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:17 PM

762 posts, read 610,033 times
I've visited my grandmother in her co-op in Forest Hills for the last 20something years. Her building has really changed. I remember as a kid mainly seeing older, retired people there. The last time I visited I saw people my age and families in addition to elderly people. I remember she was angry that her co-op changed the policies on people having dogs. It used to be a dog free building, but then became small dogs allowed, and now any dog (there was a hot guy in her building with a pit bull who was friendly). I walked around Austin St. a lot and there's more bars and nightlife than I thought there would be.

Subway access was good (which to me means you don't have to transfer) but to where I was going in Manhattan, it probably took 40 minutes each way.

If I were to move to NYC, I would probably move to Forest Hills, Rego Park, or Astoria in Queens or Carroll Gardens or Bay Ridge in Brooklyn. To me I feel like you get the best of both worlds (good food, things walking distance, don't need a car, not too far from Manhattan). They just feel less dense to me and more comfortable. I was raised in the suburbs which may affect my opinion

Old 08-08-2016, 07:46 AM

61 posts, read 104,346 times
I moved to Dyker Heights, Brooklyn when moving here, I live in Bensonhurst now. I wanted something that was safe, quiet, more residential and family oriented but still have access to transportation, shopping, restaurants/bars, parks etc. I think this area is the perfect mix of just that. Its quiet, the neighbors are friendly, but I can still go grocery shopping, catch a train or run to a bodega in less than a 5 minute walk for any of them. There's places to park when we go out too.

It also helps that we have a 3 bedroom apartment that was just refinished, over 1000 square feet and a driveway to park in for under 2000 a month. I think its a great area.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:30 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,097,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetrumptower View Post
The closest thing to gentrification that exists here right now, despite all the talk, is a coffee shop that happens to sell lattes instead of bodega coffee.
Not really. The closest thing to gentrification in that area is Sunset Park's massive Industry City, which has so many hip and upscale eateries that it comes close to being Chelsea Market.

http://brooklynbased.com/blog/2015/1...city-day-trip/

https://www.6sqft.com/the-success-an...uring-tenants/

Old 07-26-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post
Holy fudge, "gentrification" is the most overwrought, overused and misused word on this forum.

Long story, boring: the root word of gentrification is gentry.

gentry is the ruling, educated and wealthy class for any part of the world.

Pol Pot slaughtered the entire gentry class of his nation. Basically, Pol Pot was a reverse gentrifier.

Please stop misusing the term, I beg you all. All of you.

You can't "gentrify" places like Forrest Hills, since the gentry class already lives there.

Understand?

I realize this is a year and a half old, but perhaps someone will read it as I have. Yes, gentry is what you say it is. Sometimes these terms just become a part of popular parlance. The American usage of the term "liberal" is also erroneously used. We in the Western world are almost all liberal, with the exception of Neo Nazis, and say Maoists on the other end of the Left Center Right scale. Even GW Bush and Donald Trump are liberal. In any case, this new "gentry" will secure my future once I sell and get out of Dodge.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:50 PM

[quote=NyWriterdude;44130922]Queens has a very high concentration of IMMIGRANTS. What do you mean by "natives?

South Brooklyn has lots of Russian, Chinese, and other IMMIGRANTS.[/quote

I'm sure you know what is meant. Natives means the old Irish and Italian who've been there for a few generations. However, you are correct, that South BK has many Chinese and Russians from the newer waves of immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City