Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 09:08 PM

5,425 posts, read 5,656,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Deeper Queens has no trains. The F train ends 3 miles from the border of Nassau and that actually leaves big areas with no subway access. If you count LIRR access more of Deep Queens has train service, but since you have to pay extra money for that it doesn't count. And even then some of those areas don't count.
By deeper Queens I mean Queens beyond Astoria/LIC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 09:13 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,835,528 times
Gross. Do you really want them in there? I'm originally from NJ and I am actively looking to GTFO of NYC BECAUSE of the flyover and euro trash that has infiltrated this area of the country.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:16 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,835,528 times
I have no issues with people from other parts of the country or world BTW. But when they come here and BREED, well then it's a giant UGH on my behalf. Nothing more disgusting than corny turds coming here and raising families and ruining it for people who find "family life" the most disgusting thing on Earth and why we chose to live in NYC to begin with :/ oh well, people like me will be forced to the suburbs soon enough, but at least it won't smell like dirty diapers and rachet purple yoga mats.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:26 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,834,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Jackson Heights noticeably has a lot of White newcomers in the past few years and real estate prices have increased. There have been big investments in retail in Corona and Elmhurst recently, and pending court litigation they are building a shopping mail next to Citifield.

Old 12-18-2015, 04:56 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,489,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Gross. Do you really want them in there? I'm originally from NJ
Transplant.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:35 AM

13 posts, read 16,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebler View Post
This is a good post.

I do think Forest Hills is going to become "hot" at some point in the next few years once a critical mass of white-collar transplants realizes that it's an urban neighborhood with subway access that already has an upper-middle-class character and good public schools. But this will drive prices up without seriously changing the overall feel of the neighborhood.

I agree, however, because of conservative zoning laws forest hills/North Richmond Hill will largely remain a bastion of suburban style private homes close to public transportation and entertainment. I feel like the apartments will fill up at Astoria-esque rates but development of additional multi-unit housing won't happen easily and transplants will be unwilling to take a mortgage out to pay for the $2,000,000+ homes. Many (most?) transplants are unwilling to buy rather than rent, and those young people wanting to buy will be hard pressed to shell out millions when a mansion in their hometowns is 500k. Older and more established transplants are likely to purchase those homes but would fit just fine into the community. That being said, why aren't we talking about Flushing? Maybe I missed it but it has amazing culture, affordable rents, is quite bustling and populated, and has great public transportation. Foreign business interests in the area are also determinedly pushing for zoning law changes, going so far as to change LGA flight paths so that they can build skyscrapers, and with the amount of money and influence they have, it's definitely possible.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:56 AM

13 posts, read 16,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
"deeper" queens has quite a few trains.... E/F/M/R run through woodside, briarwood, forest hills, rego park, Jamaica, the 7 in Corona and Flushing, J/Z and A in South Richmond Hill, Ozone Park, Woodhaven, Jamaica, I'm definitely missing a bunch more neighborhoods. The only place with no coverage in walking distance is north east queens where they have reliable buses, and Hollis where they have illegal dollar cabs. It's probably better if people have your perception of Queens, don't want them pricing out the immigrants and natives that make Queens diverse and rich in culture.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:06 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,208,519 times
People get fixated on the glitz of Manhattan. Even if it is a lower end part of Manhattan they live in. Queens and Southern Brooklyn can be great places to live, but so many people have that tunnel vision.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:03 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,204,802 times
Transplants want to live where other transplants live, have bars, social events that cater to their tastes. Or live near their friends.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:04 AM

12,164 posts, read 7,135,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2albiQalbi View Post
Foreign business interests in the area are also determinedly pushing for zoning law changes, going so far as to change LGA flight paths so that they can build skyscrapers, and with the amount of money and influence they have, it's definitely possible.
I really hope someone is pushing for some upzoning in Flushing. The city stupidly downzoned most of Flushing a number of years ago because the few white people that was left feared even more Asian people moving in. They complained about "overdevelopment" and said the new buildings were "out-of-scale" (6 or 7 stories were "monstrosities" to them, LOL) but in reality it was to keep Asian developers from buying up the generally dilapidated houses and replacing them with apartment buildings, bringing in new Asian families. It was veiled racism.

Fast forward 5-10 years to the present and those few (old) white people are mostly gone (Asians kept moving in anyway buying up their houses) but most of the neighborhood is handcuffed by stupid, stilfing zoning despite the overwhelming pressure to grow. You generally still can't build higher than 2 or 3 story houses east of Parsons Blvd. It's ridiculous.

Same story in Sunset Park Brooklyn. The native whites (and Latinos) complained when the Asians started moving in and building apartments. The city listened to them and proceeded to downzone the area but the whites and Latinos left anyway. Now we are again stuck with zoning that doesn't allow the community to keep up with the growth, thus driving prices through the roof. Stupid city, stupid politicians.

Last edited by antinimby; 01-12-2016 at 09:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City