Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 01:28 PM

5 posts, read 4,914 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

I am interested in purchasing our first home & we are inclining towards Staten Island as me & my wife work in NYC(I work in Midtown & She work in Downtown) & our budget is around 800K(I can stretch it a bit if required)

Below are my requirements & Preferences.

Required
1)Good Areas & Safe neighborhood(No crime)
2)Good schools(Elementary/Middle & High Schools)
3)Public transportation to city with minimum walking distance
4)2 Family homes(I want to rent portion of the house)
5)NO Flood Zone's

Preferred(Not required)
some Asian Community(Specifically Indian)

I would really appreciate your feedback.Also can you also please let me know any of the requirements is not feasible with my budget?

Last edited by goodbadboys9; 12-18-2015 at 01:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 04:57 PM

432 posts, read 551,892 times
It is certainly feasible but there isn't really an Asian Hub. New Dorp, Oakwood and Richmondtown come to mind as areas that would meet your other requirements and have a reasonable commute to downtown. As for midtown, pretty much anywhere on SI is going to be less than desirable. I make it from New Dorp to downtown via SIR and Ferry in an hour and 10 and the cost is minimal. Going to midtown, the express bus is the better option but the cost adds up.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:48 AM

Thanks Edubz for your response.I will start searching for the houses in the area you mentioned.I will let you know how it goes.Asian community is just prefereence & I dont bother much if i need to drop it off from the list.

Thank you very much for your response.I highly appreciate any other feedback too.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
There's not too many Asians on Staten Island (South Asian or East Asian for that matter), but the closest thing would be in the western Mid-Island area (Willowbrook, Bulls Head, New Springville, Heartland Village). The elementary and middle schools are fine.

For high school, you don't have to go to your zoned school (the kids get Student MetroCards if they live far from school, so they can take public transit to get there (there's no school buses in high school). I can give you more details on the high schools (I went to the "bad" high school for the area, and in some ways it lives up to its reputation, in some cases no).

Old 12-19-2015, 02:29 PM

Thanks Checkmatechamp13.I want to get my son to good to best schools in SI at least for Elementary & Middle school (My son is right now 3 years old).Hopefully by the time he reaches high school I wish school system improves in SI if not at that point I will move to NJ for couple of years until he finishes his High School & Move back to SI.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:55 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
By the way, commute-wise, I would recommend the express bus. It's $6.50 per trip, $57.25 for a weekly bus pass (transfers to the subway/local bus included). From those areas, you have the X10, X11, X17, and X31. The X10 & X17 run 7 days a week, so if you live near those routes, you're good to go. (The X17 is generally the faster route, but the X10 runs later into the night).

Old 12-19-2015, 04:16 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
I would recommend Eastern Queens (Bayside, Fresh Meadows, Little Neck) over Staten Island if you're looking for a safe clean place with good schools and a large Asian presence.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:31 PM

337 posts, read 424,078 times
You try looking into the lamberts path townhouses in Bullshead? I am moving to bullshead. I am not moving into those town houses because i think they're a little pricy but brand new construction, you can buy a 2 family and rent out the bottom level that area is also a little more diverse (a little) and you'll have a brand new place.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:43 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynorbust View Post
You try looking into the lamberts path townhouses in Bullshead? I am moving to bullshead. I am not moving into those town houses because i think they're a little pricy but brand new construction, you can buy a 2 family and rent out the bottom level that area is also a little more diverse (a little) and you'll have a brand new place.

Trust me you want to take great care when looking at any "new" construction on SI and that includes those townhouses. I've been to family or friends homes for BBQ's/back yard events and sitting in the yard you can hear everything being said in a townhouse next door.

For my money if ever were to move back to SI would take old construction especially on the North Shore any day of the week over new.

Many of the older areas of SI on NS you get a detached house on a nice plot of land so your kids have a front and back yard to play in. You also have a driveway and garage so you don't have to park on the street.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:29 AM

432 posts, read 551,892 times
If the OP wants to spend $800k he is definitely not looking at townhouses. You can easily get into a newer style colonial with a rental apt in the areas I mentioned.
To the OP if you are serious about moving to NJ for high school then moving back you need to reconsider. The cost of private schools for 4 years of HS would be less than you would lose in transaction costs of moving twice. It is quite common on SI for kids to go to public school until HS then switch to private/parachiol for HS. The public high schools are less than desirable unless you are talking about the specialized high schools (SI Tech, Stuyvesant, Bklyn Tech, LaGuardia, etc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City