Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2015, 09:55 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,974,832 times

Advertisements

Jamaica has been changing over the years due to migrants, but I can see more money being poured into the north side (Downtown ?) of Jamaica which borders Briarwood, Jamaica Estates and Kew Gardens. The area north of the rail line which is also the dense part of Jamaica and also the most interesting part of the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 10:05 AM

294 posts, read 263,214 times
Plans for another tower by the hub. Permits Filed: 26-Story Residential Tower in Jamaica, 147-20 94th Avenue - New York YIMBY

Old 12-28-2015, 12:53 PM

675 posts, read 1,255,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowyok View Post
My question would really be when they talk of Jamaica what area are they talking about? Jamaica ,Jamaica which encompasses, this area according to the map
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ja...b26ba62f82a566

Or are they all of JAMAICA which would include neighborhoods with zip codes 114, some of which include

Kew gardens
baiariwwod
Bellerose
Queens villlage
Jamaica estates
Jamaica hills
Woodhaven
Richmond hill
Parts of hillcrest.
Hollis
Holliswood
south Jamaica
Jamaica
Springfield Gardens
Laurelton
ST. ALBANS
CAMBRIA HEIGHTS
ROCHDALE VILLAGE

I think i missed a few but yea.
I think first we need to find which borders are people arguing about instead of JAMAICA as a whole.
I was wondering the same as well. There's Jamaica the neighborhood and then there's the greater Jamaica area. Its not unusual to hear long time residents refer to their neighborhood as "South Side Jamaica Queens" or "Laurelton Jamaica Queens". As far as your list I'm not sure if I would include Kew Gardens, Briarwood on that list. Probably Ozone Park and South Ozone Park instead...

Old 12-28-2015, 01:14 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,306,312 times
They are talking about Jamaica Center and that is it. If anything, maybe they include the southern part of Jamaica Hills.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:21 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
Jamaica area is noisy, because of JFK. I wouldn't live there, it ain't that close to NYC either by car it takes over 30mins with no traffic. IF you work in downtown area, Jamaica to downtown takes about an hour+ so it's not a quick commute by any means.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:24 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,214,417 times
^ Jamaica Queens is a part of NYC.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:08 PM

108 posts, read 120,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
I was wondering the same as well. There's Jamaica the neighborhood and then there's the greater Jamaica area. Its not unusual to hear long time residents refer to their neighborhood as "South Side Jamaica Queens" or "Laurelton Jamaica Queens". As far as your list I'm not sure if I would include Kew Gardens, Briarwood on that list. Probably Ozone Park and South Ozone Park instead...
briarwood zip code is 11415 and kew gardens is 11415 (114 = jamaica) so they are both included. Also Right about ozone park and south ozone park being in Greater Jamaica area.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:15 PM

108 posts, read 120,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
They are talking about Jamaica Center and that is it. If anything, maybe they include the southern part of Jamaica Hills.
Then you would mean the Southern part of briarwood ? as the the north side of sutphin blvd and hillside is where briarwood starts. I believe briarwood starts from van and hillside to parsons and hillside. jamaica hills is from parsons to homelawn st and hillside. homelawn is where jamaica estates starts, this is the north of hillside for those three neighborhoods.To the south of hillside of those areas is Jamaica. The LIRR if thats the center falls more near briarwood.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:31 PM

675 posts, read 1,255,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowyok View Post
briarwood zip code is 11415 and kew gardens is 11415 (114 = jamaica) so they are both included. Also Right about ozone park and south ozone park being in Greater Jamaica area.
Ok gotcha

Old 12-28-2015, 06:00 PM

294 posts, read 263,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Jamaica area is noisy, because of JFK. I wouldn't live there, it ain't that close to NYC either by car it takes over 30mins with no traffic. IF you work in downtown area, Jamaica to downtown takes about an hour+ so it's not a quick commute by any means.
I lived in SOP for awhile (3 blocks from Southside) and with no traffic I could make it to the FDR (by car) in 15 minutes. I was a hop, skip, and a jump from JFK and I never lost any sleep with the "noise".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City