Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2015, 04:14 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,081,883 times

Advertisements

I got the Christmas card and envelope from my Daily News guy. A tip isn't really cost effective because the Daily News virtually gives the paper away. That aside, I notice that for certain customers this guy gets out of his car and walks to the house and puts the paper at or inside the storm door. My paper he heaves from the car and leaves it sometimes near or on the sidewalk. Does he really think that kind of service deserves a tip? Shouldn't a tip be for at least making an effort? He never gets the paper within 20 feet of my door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 04:22 PM

31,902 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Back in the day when paper routes were done by kids (including yours truly) yeah we got and my family gave tips at Christmas.

Today the NYT, DN, NYP, WSJ and the rest are delivered by car from someone who has a territory that covers vast areas of a particular borough. Both the WSJ and NYT for our area are left outside the vestibule door where anyone can (and often do) help themselves. The only buildings they bring them inside are the one's with doormen.

Look around for some inexpensive gift cards like from Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks and call it a day. You never know maybe it will cause the guy to make extra effort in 2016..... If you have AMEX look up any good GC offers you can use points to pay.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:55 PM

337 posts, read 423,883 times
If you tip him this year you can bet your paper will be closer and closer to your doorstep. The paper delivery guy isn't a big job, its probably his second or third job (IF he's an adult and not a kid). If you can afford it i would say get in christmas spirit and throw the guy a couple extra bucks.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:10 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,234,522 times
My brother had a paper rote growing up. He didn't get paid much and holiday time was the of year it made it worth it having the job. Give the paper delivery guy $10-$20 in a card and call it a day.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:52 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,201,804 times
OP..have you TOLD the delivery person where to leave your newspaper? I ask because when I was younger I had a route. There were certain customers who had instructions on where to leave the paper..such as on front porch, put in mail slot in door, etc. People who didn't have a specific place I just put by their door ( I was a good paper person..no sidewalks..lol)

Maybe if you called and said that your paper was being stolen, and ask if they could put it on the porch or something, it might help?

This just reminds me of the people who wanted the paper in the mail slot in their front door. They had what sounded like a smaller to medium sized dog. Each morning that dog would be waiting, and when I would slide the paper in the mail slot, he would literally rip it out of my hand. LOL That paper HAD to have had some teeth marks in it every day. They never asked for it to be put anywhere else though.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:40 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I got the Christmas card and envelope from my Daily News guy. A tip isn't really cost effective because the Daily News virtually gives the paper away. That aside, I notice that for certain customers this guy gets out of his car and walks to the house and puts the paper at or inside the storm door. My paper he heaves from the car and leaves it sometimes near or on the sidewalk. Does he really think that kind of service deserves a tip? Shouldn't a tip be for at least making an effort? He never gets the paper within 20 feet of my door.
You dont tip.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:52 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
My friend gives her TIMES deliverer $10, for whatever that is worth.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:35 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
My friend gives her TIMES deliverer $10, for whatever that is worth.
Once a year? or a few times a year.

I was a paperboy as a kid in the 1970s. I used to get $5 bucks at xmas. Back then I collected the weekly bill in person.

Believe it or not the paper was 75 cents a week when I started. Very cheap. But most folks gave me a buck, then it went to 90 cents and sadly most folks still gave me a buck.

I also had a few real cheapskates on route. Actually had two or three folks who "claimed" they go away around xmas and put a stop on paper for two or three weeks. But I still delivered on block anyhow. So saw they were home. Then start again in Jan and pretend like there was no xmas gift. Had one or two deadbeat take paper for 2-3 weeks and not pay at ALL. Meanwhile I paid for paper out of my own pocket.

I had four paper routes over four years I did it, Long Island Press, Newsday, Post and NY Times.

The NY Times customer was by far the cheapest tippers. I mean they stiff you. And they were the richest. Plus they sucked, I quit the route after only a few weeks. I mean one SOB knew damm well a 13 year old was delivering papers and I had some think like a 6:30 am deadline to get papers done. It was snowing, freezing and dark and I got last paper out at 7am and he complained I was late. Meanwhile I was pushing a bike in the snow.

The LI Press and Newsday best tippers. It was an afternoon paper back then. Meaning It came out around 2pm. No morning edition. When I delivered papers after school folks were waiting, they had all the West Coast scores and even news that morning. Folks forget but if you go back as recent as October 19,1987 when the stock market crashed and look at the cover of the NY Post that day it had full coverage. Same day.

I had firemen, cops, teachers you name it on route, the guys would be on the front porch in Summer, cold beer in hand waiting for me to pull up on the bike.

I kept that route way past I should of. I only had 23 papers in last route when I was a bit too old to do it. But when I did NY Times I did over 60 papers before six am to get same pay with tips as I would doing 23 papers at 3pm.

My brother once did a 500 person NY Times route. They actually paid him a set salary as no one in their right mind would do it for tips.

The Post was great too, afternoon paper had all the race track info. Same day, get a lot of tips. And die hard Met fans loved it.

Ten dollar a year tip is crazy in 2015. My five dollar tip in 1976 was a good deal.

The death of the afternoon edition, schoolboys delivering and blue collar men and stay at home Moms killed the tips. Much easier to still a nameless person who throws a paper at your house you paid by credit card. Then a 13 year old boy rain or shine leaves paper in your screen door or mail box. Heck one die hard Mets fan I even rang his bell everytime Mets had a late west coast game so he could read it asap.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:40 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
^^^
Flesh it out a little and you have the makings of a New Yorker piece.
(Friend tips once per year.)

<A friend went to camp for 2 weeks and I took his paper route long, long ago. Wow, did that suck.

Last edited by Kefir King; 12-25-2015 at 09:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City