Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 11:36 AM

375 posts, read 323,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puretagu View Post
Well that's good I also have video of some of the amenities take a look. https://youtu.be/2IRkDQpAR3c
https://youtu.be/SeR6FVO592E
Very nice!!

I had to go sign some last min paperwork before they send it to the agency. If everything goes through, they'll call me to go see my unit...which has been assigned already apparently. I'm very excited to go see it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 08:21 PM

20 posts, read 22,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
Very nice!!

I had to go sign some last min paperwork before they send it to the agency. If everything goes through, they'll call me to go see my unit...which has been assigned already apparently. I'm very excited to go see it!
Aww that's great I m all moved in and loving it so far. Hope you like it too I m sure you will. Good luck to you.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:10 PM

Anyone here living in a studio can tell me how they feel about living in it? I was really looking forward to getting a 1br but studios is all that was left. I have till tomorrow to either take it or not.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:13 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,842,579 times
Quote:
Anyone here living in a studio can tell me how they feel about living in it? I was really looking forward to getting a 1br but studios is all that was left. I have till tomorrow to either take it or not.
Dude. A studio in a luxury building in midtown for $565 or $715 a month rent stabilized. This isn't a hard decision...

Old 07-17-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiivile View Post
This isn't a hard decision...
I know dude but unfortunately it is for me! I'd be giving up comfort for price. I just don't want to have any feelings of regret. Just trying to see if there are others out there who may of felt or gone through what I am is all. Otherwise, I'm trying to remain positive through this.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:07 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
I know dude but unfortunately it is for me! I'd be giving up comfort for price. I just don't want to have any feelings of regret. Just trying to see if there are others out there who may of felt or gone through what I am is all. Otherwise, I'm trying to remain positive through this.

If you are single, and can manage your "stuff" then a studio apartment is fine. Lord knows many, many, *MANY* New Yorkers have spent much of their adult lives in such places right up until death.

Yes, there are tradeoffs to be made...

Again first and foremost you have to manage space carefully; that means thinking minimalist. With only that one room there is only but so much stuff you can have and still be able to move around easily. Again since studio apartments are probably the dominate form of living for many a whole culture has grown up around storage and space issues. Just wander over to any IKEA, Container Store or similar places for ideas.

Having "guests" overnight or for any extended period means you better like them a lot because you'll be with them in close quarters. *LOL* EVERYTHING happens in that one room; sleeping, eating, watching television.... That can be bad enough for one person, but with two after awhile might get on each other's nerves. Happily there is plenty of things to do out side in NYC so that acts as an escape valve.

Personally I'd wait until a firm offer is made then make a decision. Again plenty of persons from all income levels live in NYC studio apartments and manage nicely.

One great thing about studio apartment living is that there is less to clean, and it forces you to keep things tidy. Well unless you want to live like a slob or hoarder.... Again with only the one room there is no place to go; so you are forced to deal with the real. That is if the place is filthy it will be in your face every day.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
If you are single, and can manage your "stuff" then a studio apartment is fine. Lord knows many, many, *MANY* New Yorkers have spent much of their adult lives in such places right up until death.

Yes, there are tradeoffs to be made...

Again first and foremost you have to manage space carefully; that means thinking minimalist. With only that one room there is only but so much stuff you can have and still be able to move around easily. Again since studio apartments are probably the dominate form of living for many a whole culture has grown up around storage and space issues. Just wander over to any IKEA, Container Store or similar places for ideas.

Having "guests" overnight or for any extended period means you better like them a lot because you'll be with them in close quarters. *LOL* EVERYTHING happens in that one room; sleeping, eating, watching television.... That can be bad enough for one person, but with two after awhile might get on each other's nerves. Happily there is plenty of things to do out side in NYC so that acts as an escape valve.

Personally I'd wait until a firm offer is made then make a decision. Again plenty of persons from all income levels live in NYC studio apartments and manage nicely.

One great thing about studio apartment living is that there is less to clean, and it forces you to keep things tidy. Well unless you want to live like a slob or hoarder.... Again with only the one room there is no place to go; so you are forced to deal with the real. That is if the place is filthy it will be in your face every day.
Thanks man! Really appreciate your feedback and wholeheartedly agree with everything you said!

You're absolutely right about a managing your stuff! I have to go through A LOT of stuff that I've accumulated over the years and either give away or throw out. Being single should allow me to make it work and take advantage of this great living opportunity. I've decided to take it. Thanks again for your help!

Old 07-17-2017, 07:20 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Thanks man! Really appreciate your feedback and wholeheartedly agree with everything you said!

You're absolutely right about a managing your stuff! I have to go through A LOT of stuff that I've accumulated over the years and either give away or throw out. Being single should allow me to make it work and take advantage of this great living opportunity. I've decided to take it. Thanks again for your help!

Starting rule for getting rid of stuff is easy; if you haven't used or touched the thing in a year or more, out it should go.

People tend to pick-up things over the years and just hold onto despite never having use.

Things like LP's (even when they don't own a phonograph player). VCR tapes (don't own a VCR), clothing that no longer fits and they don't have a hope of ever being that size again...., those sort of things. I know people who still have stuff from senior year of high school and all four years of college. They are now middle aged and have nil use for all that; throw it out, sell it, and or donate to charity.

But I *need* it they will say, and or "it will come in useful one day".... Again if you haven't touched the thing in one or two years then it is highly likely you will ever in this lifetime.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:24 AM

377 posts, read 509,369 times
Grooverite, Congrats! You will not regret your decision. Having access to the library and to the amenities space gives one the sense of living in larger quarters. I gave up a large 2b for a 1b here at 21 WE and I am happy I made the move.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incaita View Post
Grooverite, Congrats! You will not regret your decision. Having access to the library and to the amenities space gives one the sense of living in larger quarters. I gave up a large 2b for a 1b here at 21 WE and I am happy I made the move.
Thank you Inciata!

I'm giving up a small (but spacious for me!) 2br in Bath Beach. I'm really going to miss this apartment! Nothing but good memories for the 2+ years I've been here. I'm just looking forward now to a new beginning at a beautiful residence! I'm also hoping that the community is a friendly one. If they're anything like you, it should be no worries! Thanks for the welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery