Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 02:32 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,148,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfish View Post
You sound like all Asians are rich families, maid, lawn services, 1-2 kids...
From all the Asian families I know, if they have only 2 kids that is because they can't afford a 3rd one. They will have 5 kids if they are rich, you can trust me on this one.
But difference a poor asian family values education. One staff member lived in a rent stabalized flushing apt with no car. Yet him and sister studied all night and had SAT tutors. And parents helped them into a good college. A poor white or black or spanish american would not live in a dumpy apt no car so his kids could study and he puts everything to school. He would lease a car, buy a no money down house and go to starbucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 02:42 PM

8,616 posts, read 10,989,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
Both of my parents never even went to High School, could care less if I did home work, never went to school things, were dirt poor, never made me lunch for school in HS or gave me any money for lunch or clothes since age of 12. And between chores, working to pay for clothes and food homework was something you had to do after 11pm if you were not exhusted.

All of my friends and siblings and cousins 100% have graduate degrees and around 40% post graduate degrees, doctors, lawyers, Principals.

I feel bad for my kids in that they dont have to work during HS and I can help them with college. Poverty, hungry, lack of clothes, living in a dangerous neighborhood are great motivators.

I dont think you can instill in a kids mind anything. My kids all they see is my corner office at work, beach house and new cars. And sadly they are in that stupid Gifted and Talented program. Which overinflates their ego.

My kids are they really achieving anything? I pay for laptops, Ipads, high speed internet, go to all their programs, run to staples for supplies, drive them early or pick up late for school projects, they dont have to work even let them skip chores if tests or projects due.
fear is a great motivator. I worked in fast food briefly & saw how some did that for a living. I also hauled 50lbs of dog food daily for a few months. All that was hard work for little pay. Never in my life, I said to myself. I'll also note I met some of the nicest people during those stints.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:54 PM

320 posts, read 281,662 times
I grew up with many of the East's orients and can ignorantly state they are not smarter than whitey, just alot more disciplined.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:56 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,826,356 times
Quote:
Actually I am a multimillionaire with several homes and a big waterview corner office. I am the one who out-shines the Ivy League kids.

Part of my success was I had at least 20-30 jobs from age 10-22. When I did consulting and would visit various companies in early part of career it was useful. From 16-18 I was I worked for Nassau County, I also worked at Barclays bank from 18-19 as a full time employee while going to school full time and I worked at MasterCard from 19-22 30 hours a week, plus at 22 I had a staff of 40 working for me at a bank. Then I got into a white shoe Investment Bank's management training program with mainly Ivy league kids, who were smart but really had no work experience. I basically had 6 years of working in offices at various jobs.

And the dead end jobs I had from 12-16 bike repair, newspaper boy, auto repair, house painter, plumbers assistant all jobs that require no working papers were great. I would name drop all the time all the cool folks I met at jobs.

I paid 100% for my own college and own MBA with no loans. It is sad that kids today leave college and enter workforce fairly useless. Heck I hired a guy once from New Jersey and the dope did not even know how to pump gas in the rental car. I was like I could take the engine out of car and rebuild it when I was 16 and you are 26 with a fancy degree and you cant pump gas. All he could say was in NJ they pump it for you.
The Ivy League drop outs like Gates and Zuckberg outshine you so come again. So do the Ivy League Presidents like Clinton, Obama, Bush, etc.

As for Ivy League businessmen I don't think you outshine people like Trump, Sandy Weill, etc (billionaires). Stanford graduates started google.

There's no reason for well off people to have their kids work on ****ty jobs because a disgruntled senior citizen can get out of the 1950s.

I never did bike repair, newspaper boy, auto repair, house painter, or plumber's assistant and I have no problem finding employment. If anything that looks bad on your resume if you're going out for a real job. You certainly can put that stuff on your resume for even a low level office job in either the corporate world or the government. It certainly won't belong on your resume if you're going into academia, k-12 education, or the non profit sector.

So basically you feel outclassed by people who never had to work the crappy jobs you had and who outshine you and whose opportunities far extend yours.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:00 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,826,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spodi90 View Post
I grew up with many of the East's orients and can ignorantly state they are not smarter than whitey, just alot more disciplined.
Which stupidly causing some lazy people to resent them. Instead they should be addressing why they aren't successful.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:03 PM

What are you writer dude? All my stupid sarcasm aside, ive got two close friends from childhood, one Korean and one Chinese.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:54 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,502,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spodi90 View Post
What are you writer dude? All my stupid sarcasm aside, ive got two close friends from childhood, one Korean and one Chinese.
Because they are so smart, I bet your friends know alot isn't a word. Neither is alittle. Or abig.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Because they are so smart, I bet your friends know alot isn't a word. Neither is alittle. Or abig.
No, there more displined abig7. Not like me whos to lazy too do grammer.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:33 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,148,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The Ivy League drop outs like Gates and Zuckberg outshine you so come again. So do the Ivy League Presidents like Clinton, Obama, Bush, etc.

As for Ivy League businessmen I don't think you outshine people like Trump, Sandy Weill, etc (billionaires). Stanford graduates started google.

There's no reason for well off people to have their kids work on ****ty jobs because a disgruntled senior citizen can get out of the 1950s.

I never did bike repair, newspaper boy, auto repair, house painter, or plumber's assistant and I have no problem finding employment. If anything that looks bad on your resume if you're going out for a real job. You certainly can put that stuff on your resume for even a low level office job in either the corporate world or the government. It certainly won't belong on your resume if you're going into academia, k-12 education, or the non profit sector.

So basically you feel outclassed by people who never had to work the crappy jobs you had and who outshine you and whose opportunities far extend yours.

I think everyone including my kids should do some dead end hard jobs in HS or college as it is a great learning experience. At one point I cleaned public bathrooms for one month. The guy I worked with was 50. You felt bad for guy but respected him at same time. BTW cleaning out the used tampon box in the ladies room of a public bathroom in July with no air conditioning was the worse job ever, and I killed lab animals in one job.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:39 PM

5,014 posts, read 4,896,146 times
Quote:
I think everyone including my kids should do some dead end hard jobs in HS or college as it is a great learning experience. At one point I cleaned public bathrooms for one month. The guy I worked with was 50. You felt bad for guy but respected him at same time. BTW cleaning out the used tampon box in the ladies room of a public bathroom in July with no air conditioning was the worse job ever, and I killed lab animals in one job.
I fully agree. I would advocate a nation wide mandatory public service program for all young adults after HS, and the performance could be included in their college application package.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City