Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2016, 01:14 PM

294 posts, read 263,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansean View Post
Yeah.

This 'hood hasn't changed much since I was growing up in South Ozone Park in the '80's

Hipster neighborhood, it isn't. If you live near sutphin blvd, I guess the subway commute is OK, and it's excellent if you work for the airlines(JFK is very close). Otherwise, you're looking at a 2-fare zone(train/bus). Uber will be your friend on late nights.

maybe in 5 years?
I rode my bike today over to Rufus King Park and I noticed demolition of Mary Immaculate Hospital is in full swing. The property is becoming a massive luxury apartment complex. There are a couple of other buildings going up around the property as well. Ground was broken on 3 new hotels on Archer Ave. Plus, a new apartment building is being built right now on 165th and Archer Ave. The wheels are turning for Jamaica. I think 5 years from now we will definitely notice significant changes in the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 01:49 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8Str8 View Post
I rode my bike today over to Rufus King Park and I noticed demolition of Mary Immaculate Hospital is in full swing. The property is becoming a massive luxury apartment complex. There are a couple of other buildings going up around the property as well. Ground was broken on 3 new hotels on Archer Ave. Plus, a new apartment building is being built right now on 165th and Archer Ave. The wheels are turning for Jamaica. I think 5 years from now we will definitely notice significant changes in the neighborhood.
You have a lot of older people who don't read the news AND who don't travel around the city whose ideas of an area are struck 20 or 20 years ago.

Example not 5 years ago some older people I knew were still convinced Williamsburg was a dump. These days it can be more expensive than the Upper East Side.

Back to Jamaica yes it is rapidly developing with major construction all around and major purchases all around (Downtown Jamaica near the subway lines). The current construction and of itself is a significant change, one that will be fully realized in just a few years. Just a few years ago LIC was still an ugly industrial neighborhood, and now it's got a lot of office buildings, luxury apartments, and condos.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:48 PM

306 posts, read 283,545 times
Yes Jamaica Queens is indeed transforming , more investments must continue to happen in order for it to become that it thing in Queens , more works must continue to be done.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:57 PM

Rochdale Village Apartments complex , in Jamaica Queens

Last edited by bax2222; 01-29-2016 at 07:08 PM..

Old 01-30-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You have a lot of older people who don't read the news AND who don't travel around the city whose ideas of an area are struck 20 or 20 years ago.

Example not 5 years ago some older people I knew were still convinced Williamsburg was a dump. These days it can be more expensive than the Upper East Side.

Back to Jamaica yes it is rapidly developing with major construction all around and major purchases all around (Downtown Jamaica near the subway lines). The current construction and of itself is a significant change, one that will be fully realized in just a few years. Just a few years ago LIC was still an ugly industrial neighborhood, and now it's got a lot of office buildings, luxury apartments, and condos.
Agreed. It blows my mind every time I'm in LIC and how quickly the area has changed. This is only the beginning (construction wise) for Jamaica. A 2 million dollar cleanup of Rufus King park is happening now. Howard Van Dolan park is being renovated as well. A massive Burlington coat factory is being built on The Ave. a new development has recently broke ground at 179th and Hillside Ave. Plus, acouple of new developments are going up at Wexford Terrace (which is technically Jamaica Estates, but still). Now, they need to start bringing in quality restaurants, bars, and retail which is severely lacking in the neighborhood.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8Str8 View Post
Agreed. It blows my mind every time I'm in LIC and how quickly the area has changed. This is only the beginning (construction wise) for Jamaica. A 2 million dollar cleanup of Rufus King park is happening now. Howard Van Dolan park is being renovated as well. A massive Burlington coat factory is being built on The Ave. a new development has recently broke ground at 179th and Hillside Ave. Plus, a couple of new developments are going up at Wexford Terrace (which is technically Jamaica Estates, but still). Now, they need to start bringing in quality restaurants, bars, and retail which is severely lacking in the neighborhood.

And this is what was lacking all those years for Jamaica Queens , it's investments , the area is not bad when you compare to area like Brownsville , south side of Chicago where there are high level of crimes and poverty . Don't get me wrong Jamaica is not free of crimes , like all places in NY , but it definitely don't come close to places like South Side of Chicago or Brownsville Brooklyn. Also the median income of Jamaica is around $60 Thousands a year , which classify it as a middle class area . Downtown Jamaica needs more investments , more people need to come and open businesses etc , the rent is way cheaper in Jamaica compare to Manhattan and other areas .

Old 01-30-2016, 05:29 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Probably would do wonders if there was increased investment in York College over there and a strong push towards improving it.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:10 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,098 times
It boggles the mind why investors and stores are afraid or reluctant to bring more offerings of restaurants and stores in Jamaica. The area is solidly middle class with many households earning $150k and over with the same shopping habits as the other neighbourhoods saturated with stores.
Until then I guess I will continue purchasing unline.
Plus I made a pledge of spending money on more experiences anyways so maybe it's for the best that these atores aren't a 5 min drive.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax2222 View Post
And this is what was lacking all those years for Jamaica Queens , it's investments , the area is not bad when you compare to area like Brownsville , south side of Chicago where there are high level of crimes and poverty . Don't get me wrong Jamaica is not free of crimes , like all places in NY , but it definitely don't come close to places like South Side of Chicago or Brownsville Brooklyn. Also the median income of Jamaica is around $60 Thousands a year , which classify it as a middle class area . Downtown Jamaica needs more investments , more people need to come and open businesses etc , the rent is way cheaper in Jamaica compare to Manhattan and other areas .
Yup! But over the last 3 years the investment $ has been pouring into the downtown area. At the rate things are going the downtown area is going to change fast. Free wifi is coming to the downtown area by July, the first neighborhood in Qns to get the kiosks. If they didn't have big plans for the area, then LIC probably have gotten the free wifi instead. Just a matter of time till Citibike makes it's way in since there's a lot of bike lanes in the area.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:11 AM

436 posts, read 564,972 times
You're getting ahead of yourself. Jamaica still has some serious quality of life and cleanliness problems that don't exist nearly as bad in currently gentrified or simply better neighborhoods, nevermind the lack of commercial offerings that LOVEROFNYC alluded to. They can bring as much wifi access as they want but it won't solve the real issues that no local officeholder seems to want to address.

Also, let's not confuse Jamaica itself with the deeper suburban areas (like Springfield Gardens). There's more unsavory activity around there than in some of the more suburban places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City