Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 02:02 PM

23 posts, read 72,448 times

Advertisements

Here's my take on this subject.
First, the background: I have been living in the Bronx for combined 10 years, since coming from Europe. I've stayed in the Pelham Parkway area for a few years, then moved to Brooklyn (Bay Ridge), then moved back after getting married. I also work as a Construction Superintendent, currently working in the Bronx.

I see some areas of the Bronx getting better and cleaner. Still not enough to be considered decent, but better compared to 15 years ago. There have been major building activity in the borough, and that cleans the place up a bit. However, this construction boom had been almost exclusively limited to LOW INCOME HOUSING! Therefore, the borough will NEVER be able to get out of the craphole it's in!!!

Luxury housing HAS to be built in the Bronx in order to bring decent people from outside. I propose a luxury development limited to people with upper 6-figure incomes. And, IT HAS TO BE SUBSIDIZED by the City. So, nobody with less than $150-200,000 income, and paying rents of 1,000 per 2-bedroom, with views, near train etc. Advertise everywhere. New York Times, magazines, whatever upper middle class reads. Bring more police to guard them. Offer free shuttles to the subway (or to the city) for the development's residents only. Make it attractive. The people will come. More decent people live here, more attractive it will become for other decent people to follow. That's the only way.

In the mean time big developers are dumping the bottom of the barrel onto the Bronx, and are getting tax breaks in return. Doomsberg is making this city a dump for everyone but the welfare crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 02:37 PM

34,012 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batjka View Post
First, the background: I have been living in the Bronx for combined 10 years, since coming from Europe. I've stayed in the Pelham Parkway area for a few years, then moved to Brooklyn (Bay Ridge), then moved back after getting married. I also work as a Construction Superintendent, currently working in the Bronx.

I see some areas of the Bronx getting better and cleaner. Still not enough to be considered decent, but better compared to 15 years ago. There have been major building activity in the borough, and that cleans the place up a bit. However, this construction boom had been almost exclusively limited to LOW INCOME HOUSING! Therefore, the borough will NEVER be able to get out of the craphole it's in!!!

Luxury housing HAS to be built in the Bronx in order to bring decent people from outside. I propose a luxury development limited to people with upper 6-figure incomes. And, IT HAS TO BE SUBSIDIZED by the City. So, nobody with less than $150-200,000 income, and paying rents of 1,000 per 2-bedroom, with views, near train etc. Advertise everywhere. New York Times, magazines, whatever upper middle class reads. Bring more police to guard them. Offer free shuttles to the subway (or to the city) for the development's residents only. Make it attractive. The people will come. More decent people live here, more attractive it will become for other decent people to follow. That's the only way.

In the mean time big developers are dumping the bottom of the barrel onto the Bronx, and are getting tax breaks in return. Doomsberg is making this city a dump for everyone but the welfare crowd.
one of the most sensible and accurate posts i've ever read on this board.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-12-2008, 02:48 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Doomsberg is making this city a dump for everyone but the welfare crowd.
I don't understand this statement.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:56 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Wait this is news to me. I tought they WERE building more luxurious housing in Mott Haven, Melrose etc......

I had no idea that it's all low-income? Can anybody shed some light here.

Are they building anymore housing projects? NYCHA style or are they a different style.

Around the 170's in Highbridge/Morris Heights I've seen a lot of these pinkish/baige color buildings. I wonder what they are.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:15 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times
I got an idea of cleanning up the Bronx. How about getting a broom and sweeping up?

Old 02-12-2008, 03:28 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times
Batja knows nothing about the Bronx, the developments occuring, or the master plan by the community or Bloomberg. As a longtime resident, and not someone who has lived in Pelham Parkway for a few years, he is 100% wrong. I recommend ignoring his post, as it is just more ignorance based on nonsense and perception.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:02 PM

i think its true for the bronx....if its not hpd offering apartments that go by ridiculously low incomes, the 2 and 3 family houses are being bought by developers and being rented out to section 8 people....i mean, there has to be some way of obtaining information about the south bronx without having to live there, thats just ludicrous. as for me i read the classifieds and i see what homes are going for up there. a 2 family house for $500K isnt exactly affordable....even if you have intentions of renting out the second unit, its not guaranteed you will get a suitable tenant right away, and you're stuck with the full mortgage payment until that happens. the only housing i see that can be a good opportunity for 1st time homebuyers who want to live in the bronx is waterbury estates, and i'm basing this just on price alone.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Wait this is news to me. I tought they WERE building more luxurious housing in Mott Haven, Melrose etc......

I had no idea that it's all low-income? Can anybody shed some light here.

Are they building anymore housing projects? NYCHA style or are they a different style.

Around the 170's in Highbridge/Morris Heights I've seen a lot of these pinkish/baige color buildings. I wonder what they are.
luxurious! ha! get real
besides bronx bricks, i don't know of any other newly built "luxury condos" in the south bronx.
those houses they built on elton avenue a few years back look cheap as hell and flimsy.

if you're talking about those buildings on ogden avenue they go by your income. correct me if i'm wrong but i believe they're currently run by hpd.

seeing as cash-strapped as the NYCHA claims to be, i doubt they're building any new developments for a looooong time, as recently in the news they were actually selling some of their land to private developers in east new york. plus NYCHA has plenty of vacant units that they're too lazy to renovate anyway. why build new projects when some projects sit there with over a third of the units vacant?

Old 02-12-2008, 05:32 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,504 times
Default Don't clean it up

I'm moving in. I like it the way it is.

Yuppies...move to Dung Island. It's real real clean. Move there, you'll live longer. It'll even SEEM longer.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:40 PM

473 posts, read 1,670,277 times
Default lol - wow

Quote:
First, the background: I have been living in the Bronx for combined 10 years, since coming from Europe. I've stayed in the Pelham Parkway area for a few years................

Luxury housing HAS to be built in the Bronx in order to bring decent people from outside.
here's a news flash for you - batty, there are many decent people in the bronx. I like hwo you assume that for anything decent to go on, it has to come from the outside..... then again, you probably never wondered out of PPkwy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City