U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 07:41 AM

23,681 posts, read 37,920,118 times

Advertisements

how is it in bad weather? is there flooding?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 07:47 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,449,372 times
City Island is certainly a unique place in the Bronx, as well as the city. I like that it has a small scale feel, has lots of restaurants, and is surrounded by the largest park in all of the city: Pelham Bay Park, which also includes all of the great amenities of Orchard Beach and seaside living.

What I don't like about City Island is:

-There is only 1 lane into and out of the island. Traffic is ABYSMAL (as in 1 hour wait JUST to get into the island during summer).
-Public transportation is JUST a bus, and if you commute to the city expect a long and awkward commute (no trains anywhere!)
-The seafood overall is very bad. I found it funny that someone indicated that Sammy's Fish Box was soo good when in fact it is quite bad. It is the same crowd as Red Lobster..predominantly local Bronx black residents. Lobster Box is far better quality, but nonetheless 90% of the seafood in City Island is POOR quality/Red Lobster food...the attraction is name and ambiance, not food.
-City Island attracts many local Bronx people of color who patronize the place heavily in summer, and would not know good fresh seafood if a fish hopped on their plate and squealed. Nonetheless, the ambiance of City Island is MUCH better in Fall/Winter/Spring than Summer..same goes for Orchard Beach.
-City Island locals are just that...locals, and really are no different than other Bronx residents except that it is predominantly white versus people of color. If you are expecting a Riverdale quality resident, you will be SORELY disappointed.

Nonetheless, it is an interesting place to see once....the food is mediocre at best, and there really isn't much to do there besides eating bad seafood. Why? Because the locals do not want an active nightlife/bar scene that would attract the Bronx element year round and make life miserable....so you will notice the HUGE lack of any nightlife of any kind. Worth checking out for about an hour....after that...move on....and thats just how the residents like it.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:02 AM

803 posts, read 2,763,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
City Island is certainly a unique place in the Bronx, as well as the city. I like that it has a small scale feel, has lots of restaurants, and is surrounded by the largest park in all of the city: Pelham Bay Park, which also includes all of the great amenities of Orchard Beach and seaside living.

What I don't like about City Island is:

-There is only 1 lane into and out of the island. Traffic is ABYSMAL (as in 1 hour wait JUST to get into the island during summer).
-Public transportation is JUST a bus, and if you commute to the city expect a long and awkward commute (no trains anywhere!)
-The seafood overall is very bad. I found it funny that someone indicated that Sammy's Fish Box was soo good when in fact it is quite bad. It is the same crowd as Red Lobster..predominantly local Bronx black residents. Lobster Box is far better quality, but nonetheless 90% of the seafood in City Island is POOR quality/Red Lobster food...the attraction is name and ambiance, not food.
-City Island attracts many local Bronx people of color who patronize the place heavily in summer, and would not know good fresh seafood if a fish hopped on their plate and squealed. Nonetheless, the ambiance of City Island is MUCH better in Fall/Winter/Spring than Summer..same goes for Orchard Beach.
-City Island locals are just that...locals, and really are no different than other Bronx residents except that it is predominantly white versus people of color. If you are expecting a Riverdale quality resident, you will be SORELY disappointed.

Nonetheless, it is an interesting place to see once....the food is mediocre at best, and there really isn't much to do there besides eating bad seafood. Why? Because the locals do not want an active nightlife/bar scene that would attract the Bronx element year round and make life miserable....so you will notice the HUGE lack of any nightlife of any kind. Worth checking out for about an hour....after that...move on....and thats just how the residents like it.

Excellent response, except for the following:

* Bad Seafood - The "fried" places are, indeed, just there to rake in money from the "locals of color" as you mentioned, but places like JP's, Lobster Box, Arte's, Black Whale, Ohana (Japanese Hibachi) and the Treehouse are actually fine dining establishments which offer much more than the typical fried fare.

* Traffic - City Island Avenue, as the main drag, truly IS a mess on summer weekends, but the people who live here have learned to leave early and return either before noon or after 8pm, and there's alternative streets the locals use to bypass the traffic on the avenue. The BX29 bus goes to the #6 train at Pelham Bay station every 20-30 minutes, so the commute isn't any worse than living on Ditmars Blvd. in Astoria... but yes, it does take about 90 mins. to travel to Grand Central, from out on the island, if you are doing the bus/train combo...unless you go to the expense of getting on the Metro-North at New Rochelle or North Bronx.

* Lack of Nightlife - Well, it ain't Manhattan for sure, but there are a few quite serviceable bars & pubs including the Snug, Black Whale, Ohana and a few others I haven't discovered yet... there are live bands on the weekends, but the main regulars are locals, and if someone lives here, they become "local", fast!....

* Orchard Beach - A wonderful place to be for people of any ethnic background, and big enough that even in the summer when the "Bronx locals" blare reggaeton to excruciating volume on the main boardwalk, there are still fine areas where you can sunbathe and frolic, undisturbed by the melee'. It may not be Jones beach, but it IS in the Bronx, after all.... and three out of four seasons, it's a joy to visit by foot or bike....

Old 02-06-2008, 09:17 AM

Thanks for the response to my post. Here are my comments:

-I agree that those spots that you listed are decent, but OVERALL, City Island is NOT a place for good seafood. It is all about being on the Island, not the food.
-Your take on traffic is spot on..but your commute time is an average, assuming there is NOT a problem ANYWHERE in the system. And anyone that used public transportation will know that there are ALWAYS problems.
-I agree that there are a few spots for entertainment, but it is paultry at best. It is not a negative, in as much as it is an observation that if you are seeking things to do at night, City Island is not the place to be. The locals prefer it that way.
-I also agree that there are areas in Orchard Beach during summer where you can sunbathe and be relatively at peace, however they are few and far between, especially if you want anything remotely close to quiet/peaceful. However, it should be noted that the "element" is in control only from Memorial - Labor Day (summer), and that Fall/WInter/Spring are reall the BEST times to be there...it is virtually empty, clean, quite, and with the exception of Winter, still warm!

Old 02-06-2008, 09:24 AM

9,856 posts, read 23,017,509 times
I think I've been to enough seafood places and had enough seafood to be able to judge bad from good.

At Sammy's I had a fish dish once and it was pretty good. Not great but pretty good. You can find decent food there if you avoid the quick fry places.

Lobster Box was good too.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:27 AM

12,692 posts, read 18,421,635 times
Quote:
City Island attracts many local Bronx people of color who patronize the place heavily in summer, and would not know good fresh seafood if a fish hopped on their plate and squealed.
What are you saying, Sir Guy? Black folks are unable to tell if seafood is decent?

Old 02-06-2008, 09:46 AM

Lol....no...I am saying the local Bronx Black/Hispanic folks that OVERWHELMING patronize Red Lobster, are OVERWHELMINGLY the same ones you will find at Sammy's. Either this means that Sammy's and Red Lobster are both equally great, or equally bad. I tend to think the latter. And for the record I have eaten at both, and can say with great confidence, that these places are appealing to the same market, Bronx locals of color who think Red Lobster/Sammy's is good seafood.

By the way...I am liking the Sir Guy thing..its different.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:40 AM

12,692 posts, read 18,421,635 times
Quote:
By the way...I am liking the Sir Guy thing..its different.
Well I am tempted to switch to Bull Connor after your remarks, but I shall grant you a pass this time.

But I will be watching you, Sir Guy....

Old 02-06-2008, 10:43 AM

6,993 posts, read 15,948,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
What are you saying, Sir Guy? Black folks are unable to tell if seafood is decent?
Personally I think that Red Lobster appeals to a certain class of people. I think those who really like/dig red lobster may not be your more upscale eatery types. Which is fine, there is nothing wrong with that. I believe this class of individual transcends color lines though.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:49 AM

803 posts, read 2,763,015 times
I would venture to say, that perhaps the black & hispanics who are said to frequent Red Lobster and other likeminded eateries may not necessarily be able to afford "fine dining" on a regular enough basis, to really be seen often enough in those establishments.... probably more of an economic issue, than one of merely skin tone or ethnicity.... IJS....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or