Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2016, 09:10 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,692,387 times

Advertisements

So I visited NYC last summer. Rode my bike around the city and it seems like a lot of areas up on the upper east side had fire hydrants open with water flowing out.

Why is this? Is it illegal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 09:58 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
It's interesting you saw this law summer and 6 months later randomly thought about posting a thread on this...
People do it because they are hot. Remember Google is your friend.
Open fire hydrant NYC: Neighborhoods with the most complaints | am New York

Old 01-08-2016, 07:51 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,084,354 times
It's a tradition for the millionaires on the upper east side to leave their penthouses during heat waves and frolic in front of open hydrants. It's part of NYC.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:09 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
not if the city does it.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:09 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,514,459 times
If you use a spray cap, which can be obtained from your local fire department, then yes it is legal to open the hydrants for fun. However the vast majority of hydrants you see open in the summer do not have these, which is illegal and wastes hundreds upon hundreds of gallons of water a minute.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:18 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times
It's possible this is being done as a maintenance activity to make sure water flows out as needed in an emergency. The link below isn't from New York City, but the concept is the same:

Fire Hydrant Flushing and Flow Testing

Old 01-09-2016, 05:44 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
It's possible this is being done as a maintenance activity to make sure water flows out as needed in an emergency. The link below isn't from New York City, but the concept is the same:

Fire Hydrant Flushing and Flow Testing

It is also done periodically to flush settled mud out of the system. It is the same system as the drinking water supply so keeping the pipes clean is a good idea.
Also, all valves, including those in your home should be exercised periodically to prevent them from corroding in either the open or shut position.
(A good time to open and close all your valves at the beginning of each year, sinks, toilets, radiators, water heaters and main input if you have a private home. In an emergency, you do not want to find water spraying around with no means to shut it off. A drop of oil onto each valve stem is a good idea too.)

Old 01-09-2016, 06:22 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,084,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
It is also done periodically to flush settled mud out of the system. It is the same system as the drinking water supply so keeping the pipes clean is a good idea.
Also, all valves, including those in your home should be exercised periodically to prevent them from corroding in either the open or shut position.
(A good time to open and close all your valves at the beginning of each year, sinks, toilets, radiators, water heaters and main input if you have a private home. In an emergency, you do not want to find water spraying around with no means to shut it off. A drop of oil onto each valve stem is a good idea too.)
A few years ago the cold water pipe under my kitchen sink broke apart when I closed the cabinet under the sink. I went to turn the valve for the sink off and water started pouring out of valve after I turned it. I shut the main water valve for the house and thankfully that worked. If you haven't opened and closed the valves in many years have a plan if they leak.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:01 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Always know where the NEXT valve upstream is.

(A properly exercised valve will not leak the first time you need it. It is the valves that are untouched for 10 years that will leak when forced, as they usually must be.)

So readers, turn all your valves on off and on again or vice versa. Do it today. It only takes a very few minutes. If one cannot be turned, call your super to deal with it. If he breaks it, it's on the landlord...the super is his agent.

When I moved in, I had a couple valves that needed Hercules but I am strong. One, however, a steam valve, was completely impossible and had to be replaced so I could turn off the heat in a bedroom.

Valves are wonderful, but like penises, they must be exercised regularly to work the way they were meant to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City