Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 07:38 PM

539 posts, read 523,196 times

Advertisements

NYC is one place minimum wage should be much higher. Everything is so expensive yet people are getting paid like they live in Ohio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 07:48 PM

186 posts, read 220,088 times
That's the whole point. provide them with a wage where they won't need to depend soley on Govt assistance to get by. Now granted $15 dollars an hour is just getting by barely. I know because I worked a position paying that much and you could only afford to work and pay the rent and groceries and even then you can't sustain an apartment by yourself you need a roommate. There was no partying etc .. not in the budget ..

If you are stuck in a situation like that it wears you down quickly.

Personally I feel certain programs they need to be revised and minimum standards updated to reflect current climate and times

Old 01-11-2016, 09:39 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Minimum wage is discrimination against the unskilled poor. Unfortunately in a few years they will end up being unemployed as they become replaced by those that are slightly more skilled than them.
Minimum wage is actually a starting wage for those just entering the workforce.

It was never intended to be a living wage.

With the massive demographics shift in NYC, teenagers no longer work, as illegal immigrants have taken away all the jobs they teens would once get while they were entering the workforce.

I started off as a dishwasher at age 14, and was a line cook by age 16.

Teens these days would never be allowed an opportunity like that in NYC.

Last edited by ughhnyc; 01-11-2016 at 11:03 PM..

Old 01-11-2016, 09:57 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,768 times
quote:
They will be making more than the allowed minimum for any government assistance programs, including but not limited to welfare, medicaid, social security, public housing, ect..

Not true. They just need to fart out a kid and they can still make upwards of 18 dollars an hour and still get benefits. Just because they farted out a kid. People know how to work the system.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:58 PM

quote:
Everything is so expensive yet people are getting paid like they live in Ohio

In many ways, nyc IS so expensive these days BECAUSE Ohio.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:01 PM

quote:

Nor struggling adults, who actually file taxes, with full time jobs who need part time jobs like dishwasher. It's sad.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:17 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,236,702 times
This politically motivated wage increase, which is obviously decoupled from any kind of real market price for unskilled human labor, is part of a large scale movement in all advanced post industrial societies towards a guaranteed basic income. What to do with all the superfluous humans is the hard question confronting policy makers. It was discovered about a century ago that leaving them to live or die on their own resulted in unacceptable social turmoil---bad for big business.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:53 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
Minimum wage is actually a starting wage for those just entering the workforce.

It was never intended to be a living wage.

With the massive demographics shift in NYC, teenagers no longer work, as illegal immigrants have taken away all the jobs they teens would once get while they were entering the workforce.

I started off as a dishwasher at age 14, and was a line cook by age 16.

exactly.
it isnt meant for a person to support a family on.

my first job back in the "stone age" was in the co-op program in HS. I started at 2.67 an hour, if you could even believe that. wasnt even a hundred dollars a week.
nut it was meant for kids starting the workforce though....obviously after the school years was up I got a better job paying more money.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:29 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,047,347 times
A McDonalds by me closed down recently, and a Burger King is about to close as well so that's maybe 30 less $15/hr jobs. I'm pretty sure that the owners of these places had the new $15 min wage in mind when they were weighing the decision. I actually see this as a positive as less fast food restaurants will be good. However if and when the $15 min wage expands into other businesses and industries I can only imagine that some will decide to close down as well.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:14 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLaidBack View Post
Keep in mind, the wage increase will have negative outcomes for the people working it.

They will be making more than the allowed minimum for any government assistance programs, including but not limited to welfare, medicaid, social security, public housing, ect...

So in the end the government will have more tax money to steal since the poor won't qualify for any of the programs....LOL
People should make enough money not to qualify for welfare.

Social security is based on how much payroll taxes you paid while you were working and before you retired. It's not a program aimed at POOR people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City