U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 11:38 PM

4 posts, read 23,472 times

Advertisements

I'm British Asian and have recently relocated from London to New York. I am still extremely new to the city (been here only 4 weeks) and would like some advice on a potential property.

I'm currently staying at my firm's corporate apartment at Sutton Place. I like the safety and serenity of the Sutton but it seems like a predominantly mature (read: retirees/empty-nesters) affluent White neighbourhood where people can be quite stuck-up. And I sometimes wonder if they are stuck-up to me particularly because I'm Asian (happens alot in racist Britain)?

So my firm gave me another option, which is this high-rise rental building at West 27th n Sixth Ave. According to my housing agent, this would put me technically in Chelsea, which is supposed to be young and pleasant? I absolutely LOVE the building n apartment itself but I checked out the area several times, did some research and felt rather uncomfortable because:

1) towards broadway, from 24th to 31st st, there is a whole congregation of dodgy-looking rug n handbag wholesalers - merchants standing on the streets haggling really loudly.

2) i heard there are A LOT of nightclubs on west 27th st n perhaps even some prostitution-type activity in the area

3) from 27th st northward towards herald square along 6th n 7th ave looks rather rough n run-down.

4) someone told me there are quite a few dodgy Asian massage parlors in the outlying areas (towards 8th ave/30's sts)

5) maybe as a result of all of the above (or not), i notice people staring at me quite often (even though i dress extremely conservative).

Can you guys pls help me shed some light on the above - maybe I m being too paranoid?

The housing agent said all of Manhattan is somewhat like this - with 1 block being completely contrasting to the next.

As long as the neighbourhood is actually not as bad as I imagine, I would love to take the new apartment.....................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 11:55 PM

120 posts, read 93,666 times
Asian Racism?? Please stop the Hysteria! I have not EVER experienced Asian Racism! Racism over what? the higher IQ's? Hard workers?

Old 02-06-2008, 12:00 AM

4,841 posts, read 8,202,980 times
There is very little racism towards Asians in this city, especially in Manhattan.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:01 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,296,050 times
In any neighborhood you'll move to in NYC, you will first feel uncomfortable and unfamiliar. And yes crime can and does happen in Chelsea sometimes. But the more you live there, the more street smart you will become. In the end you will do fine and probably never be a victim of crime. Don't worry so much and enjoy the neighborhood and NYC.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:06 AM

12,120 posts, read 28,458,930 times
that area is rather bland, drab and i am familiar with those guys that hang on 28th near broadway. that area is very contrasting

basically if you see a lot of negatives in this area you might continue to see them if you were living there.

not the best area for safety and not the worst either

Old 02-06-2008, 12:11 AM

757 posts, read 3,063,914 times
You're talking about a very commercial area, so the sidewalk sellers are almost to be expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganw View Post
5) maybe as a result of all of the above (or not), i notice people staring at me quite often (even though i dress extremely conservative).
Men in New York stare at attractive young women -- and not-so-attractive young women, and attractive middle-aged women. It's not pleasant, but at least gals don't get the rude wolf-whistles we got in the '70s.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:56 AM

11,231 posts, read 21,668,365 times
that's a great area- just go for it, and if you don't like Broadway - then, don't walk on Broadway. I don't particularly like that Broadway stretch either but it's never made me not want to live in Chelsea (though I don't have the resources for that).

There's not much racism against Asians here - though I have heard people speak in disparaging tones about "immigrants" but I hardly think a British Asian is going to experience this, especially since (rash generalization, I know) Americans tend to love British accents.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:24 AM

430 posts, read 674,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbro View Post
Men in Chelsea stare at attractive young men -- and not-so-attractive young men, and attractive middle-aged men. It's not pleasant, but at least guys don't get the rude wolf-whistles we got in the '90s.
There, I fixed it for you.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:41 AM

757 posts, read 3,063,914 times
Thanks, Blimp! That, too.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:53 PM

3,156 posts, read 8,096,516 times
If this is a bad area, I don't know what a good area would be!

I've walked in that area a bunch of times before and it seems nice. Safe, convenient. I'm not familiar with the area east of 6th, but certainly the immediate area of 6th and 26th, and the blocks to the north, west, and south, are fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City