Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 05:35 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times

Advertisements

I guess trains will terminate between 1st Avenue and Bedford Avenue. From there folks can either hop on a shuttle bus or ferry to get to opposite boroughs across the east river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 09:09 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
A dollar van? Those folks in Williamsburg, Chelsea village and les don't carry cash. You need to make an iPhone app where these folks pay a dollar to board a dollar van through an iPhone.
You've heard of Square, right?

Old 01-15-2016, 10:00 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I can't see why not. Court sq is as functioning of a terminal as any, and on the southern side, I would cut G trains to Hoyt-Schermerhorn so as not to disrupt F service in Brooklyn. I would take some train sets from the L and switch them to the G and M lines.
Because of the signals.The G doesn't have CBTC like the L, and it wouldn't be practical to have them run every 2-3 minutes.

You also have to factor how long it takes the trains to get in and out of the terminal. There's procedures that must be followed which take time. That time adds up, and if there's trains behind the trains that are in the terminal which means delays.

It just isn't practical to run the G every 2-3 minutes.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:48 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times
?This Is What Will Happen to Williamsburg Without the L Train | Motherboard

Old 01-18-2016, 07:35 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Something tells me they'll take care of people around the Bedford stop. DeBlasio and the MTA will freeze over a path across the East River to form a temporary land bridge for these people. It'll be those deeper in that'll get inconvenienced.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:43 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post

The J is already borrowing a one set of the trains from the L.
I noticed that last night. It has those extra LED boards inside the car that displays the messages and shows the city skyline graphics right?

Old 01-19-2016, 04:15 PM

37,139 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Build a station where the Broadway G station is so that it connects directly above to the JMZ with a new stop on the JMZ (possibly closing down one or both JMZ stations alongside it) so that there are more possibilities for direct transfers. Make one lane each way on the Williamsburg Bridge bus only. Work out something with LIRR so that people at Broadway Junction are allowed to get reduced in-city rates to ride into Atlantic Terminal besides just the weekend CityTicket program. Let the M run its full weekday route on all nights and weekends and see if the frequency can be upped on that and the J train. Up the ferry service, but augment things so that there is are additional bus services going straight to the waterfront on both sides.

Best thing is to get a fleet of amphibious buses that drive on the roads just like regular buses but then goes right into the water and back on shore on the other side. No, that's not happening, but wouldn't it be wonderful?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-19-2016 at 05:43 PM..

Old 01-19-2016, 04:40 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I can't see why not. Court sq is as functioning of a terminal as any, and on the southern side, I would cut G trains to Hoyt-Schermerhorn so as not to disrupt F service in Brooklyn. I would take some train sets from the L and switch them to the G and M lines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Because of the signals.The G doesn't have CBTC like the L, and it wouldn't be practical to have them run every 2-3 minutes.

You also have to factor how long it takes the trains to get in and out of the terminal. There's procedures that must be followed which take time. That time adds up, and if there's trains behind the trains that are in the terminal which means delays.

It just isn't practical to run the G every 2-3 minutes.
Leave the 4 car, every 10 minutes, G train alone.

Anytime they cut off the G train after Hoyt-Schermerhorn, they run a shuttle from that stop to Bedford Nostrand Ave. where you have to transfer to another G train to go to Queens. There is no place to switch tracks at Hoyt-Schermerhorn. I'm not sure if the G can run straight from Hoyt-Schermerhorn to Bedford Nostrand to Court Square on the same track. If it can't it would just delay thousands of people and leave the F train more crowded as it goes to Coney Island (because you have removed the G train option for those stops).

Old 01-19-2016, 05:17 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I noticed that last night. It has those extra LED boards inside the car that displays the messages and shows the city skyline graphics right?
Apologies for the late response I didn't see your message. Yes you're correct.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:53 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,448,365 times
I'll be in New York in March and will be arriving at JFK and staying in Manhattan. Is this the train that takes you back and forth from JFK to Midtown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City