Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 12:54 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
If Uber and Lyft destroy the current medallion system, NYC would be much better off. That system was a huge mistake to begin with.
Agreed. The 1 million medallion system restricted competition. Yellow cabs only really served Manhattan and the airports, leaving most of NYC underserved. That's why Lyft and Uber blew up so rapidly and became so popular as one can use them from anywhere.

And I use them both and love them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 01:11 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Bullsh1t. The speed limits should be 30 mph on the side streets and 40 mph on the avenues and other major roads (think Queens Blvd, Northern Blvd, etc.)
I think it should depend on the area and population. Narrow side streets should have low speed limits, whereas wide streets should have higher speed limits. Lowering it to 25 everywhere is just a lazy way of solving the problem, especially considering nobody obeys it on most streets ( I don't ).

I also don't understand this push to make NYers ride bikes everywhere. If you can't drive/hate driving or afford a car, then take the bus or train. Or just walk.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:50 PM

292 posts, read 703,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I think it should depend on the area and population. Narrow side streets should have low speed limits, whereas wide streets should have higher speed limits. Lowering it to 25 everywhere is just a lazy way of solving the problem, especially considering nobody obeys it on most streets ( I don't ).

I also don't understand this push to make NYers ride bikes everywhere. If you can't drive/hate driving or afford a car, then take the bus or train. Or just walk.
I must add this had added to traffic congestion as well. We are forced to slow for bicycle traffic. I mean, we all play a part in this problem. But I think we are better off than other cities who must likely have worse traffic (I.e. LA).

Old 01-18-2016, 02:50 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,590,031 times
Uber and other app based car services no doubt contribute their share of the increased traffic clutter, but targeting them specifically is swatting at mosquitoes and rearranging the deck furniture on the Titanic.

The city needs a comprehensive plan to battle traffic congestion or it will do nothing but get worse. Gridlock Sam's "Move NY" plan is a good enough template to work with.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:54 PM

292 posts, read 703,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Agreed, "blame everyone owning a vehicle."

Do you realize how fast and dangerous a car going 25 mph down a side street IS?
If you want to go faster than that, get on the FDR...at 3 AM. Or better yet, stay on the Jersey Turnpike.
Haha, whatever.
I'm just saying that lowering 25mph isn't solving the congestion problem, but adding to it. I agree in school zones, it should be lower but to have 25mph as a mandatory speed limit for all boros doesn't solve the issue.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:44 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
I use Uber all the time. NYC Yellow cabs are disgusting.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:08 PM

493 posts, read 511,789 times
There isn't really a way to relieve traffic its a congested city.
As for the 25 mi/hr speed limit does anyone actually follow that? Only time you actually go that slow is if there is traffic? I see people pass the police and at a higher speed regularly. So I don't think the speed limit is to blame.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyalltheway View Post
Haha, whatever.
I'm just saying that lowering 25mph isn't solving the congestion problem, but adding to it. I agree in school zones, it should be lower but to have 25mph as a mandatory speed limit for all boros doesn't solve the issue.
The new lower speed limit is unnecessarily slow on some major outerborough thoroughfares and is largely ignored anyway, but with few exceptions I have no issue with any of the posted speed limits in Manhattan when you factor in the unspoken 5 mph fudge factor they grant you. An actual speed of somewhere between 25-30 mph on 6th or 8th Ave (for instance) is quite fast enough for that environment and is not at all the issue IMO.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I use Uber all the time. NYC Yellow cabs are disgusting.
Some are and some aren't. The way taxi garages work makes it a little more difficult to keep the cars spotlessly clean, and most yellow cabs are owned by garages. There are yellow cab owner operators that keep their car as clean as any other car service would.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:03 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Lol there is not one cause for traffic congestion. Mainly it is an issue of too many cars in a small area (downtown manhattan is very small in land size). Bloombucks was right about the toll to enter downtown manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City