Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 08:23 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,336,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Many people do move thousands of miles to end up in poverty and sometimes in even worse situations. Remaining in your same neighborhood is not seen as a birthright. I disagree.

Circumstances and personal choice plays a role when moving to a new area. It doesn't necessarily mean ones situation will be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 08:45 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTiberiusx View Post
I use to work a job in Human Resource for a retail company. I did preliminary interviews for hiring people. I cannot tell you how many people out there wanted a job, but asked to work no more than 20 hours a week so they could keep their "benefits" (aka government checks).

It was like, so I'm offering you a job so you can become independent, and you are shunning me because you want to keep your entitlement checks coming in. Why does it tick those off who work off so much? Well, because most of us work for a living and EARN a salary, and some get money for doing nothing. Gee, I don't know...why would anyone have a problem with that? You libs contradict yourselves. You always cry that you want equality for all and plicitial correctness, but it's ok to give other peoples money to ABLE BODIED people who don't care to work? Yeah, that's fairness and equality. And I don't care what color your skin is, go earn your money!! Give everyone on assistance 3 years to get a job and cut them off. Unless you have a legit disability or something of that nature, no exceptions should be made.
Probably they did the math and if they were to just work on the retail job, it wouldn't pay their living expenses. A full time minimum wage job won't necessarily pay the rent. Programs like Section 8 pay two thirds of the rent, and for those people getting SSI, but working part time, 1/3rd of their income must go to the rent.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:58 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
People use government programs for mobility. Student loans, pell grants, the GI Bill are all government financing of education. The GI Bill and other programs also subsidized mortgages to buy homes. The SBA subsidizes business loans, and so does the GI Bill. Farmers have various programs that assist them as well.

Welfare is loathed so much because it has been presented as mostly Black. The other government programs I mentioned were made to help whites access the middle class (Blacks didn't get to fully benefit from them until the 70s and 80s).

Of course old people get medicare and social security. Everyone benefits from the welfare state at some point, including from the beneficial government programs I mentioned above.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:22 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,336,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Probably they did the math and if they were to just work on the retail job, it wouldn't pay their living expenses. A full time minimum wage job won't necessarily pay the rent. Programs like Section 8 pay two thirds of the rent, and for those people getting SSI, but working part time, 1/3rd of their income must go to the rent.

Also the max amount of SSI is 733, that is if your income is Zero.
If you have income, your income gets deducted from the 733!!

Old 06-19-2016, 02:48 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
People use government programs for mobility. Student loans, pell grants, the GI Bill are all government financing of education. The GI Bill and other programs also subsidized mortgages to buy homes. The SBA subsidizes business loans, and so does the GI Bill. Farmers have various programs that assist them as well.

Welfare is loathed so much because it has been presented as mostly Black. The other government programs I mentioned were made to help whites access the middle class (Blacks didn't get to fully benefit from them until the 70s and 80s).

Of course old people get medicare and social security. Everyone benefits from the welfare state at some point, including from the beneficial government programs I mentioned above.
A lot of those "white man" only programs you mention of above should have also never have been put in place. So its not always a race thing as you are always looking for.

As for medicare and social security, these are supposed to be actuarially sound. Social insurance is very different than social welfare from a funding perspective.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:38 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
The GI Bill came about because the government needed a means to placate an entire generation of men, over 10 million, whom they just turned into battle-hardened examples of the finest humans ever to walk the face of the earth en masse. Rather than risk an easy overthrow of the government post-WWII, the government planned to harrness these near-perfect men to build our nation into the powerhouse it became until liberalism turned American men into pansy-asses incapable of deciding on breakfast without calling home to mommy for advice.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:01 PM

186 posts, read 220,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTiberiusx View Post
I use to work a job in Human Resource for a retail company. I did preliminary interviews for hiring people. I cannot tell you how many people out there wanted a job, but asked to work no more than 20 hours a week so they could keep their "benefits" (aka government checks).

It was like, so I'm offering you a job so you can become independent, and you are shunning me because you want to keep your entitlement checks coming in. Why does it tick those off who work off so much? Well, because most of us work for a living and EARN a salary, and some get money for doing nothing. Gee, I don't know...why would anyone have a problem with that? You libs contradict yourselves. You always cry that you want equality for all and plicitial correctness, but it's ok to give other peoples money to ABLE BODIED people who don't care to work? Yeah, that's fairness and equality. And I don't care what color your skin is, go earn your money!! Give everyone on assistance 3 years to get a job and cut them off. Unless you have a legit disability or something of that nature, no exceptions should be made.
Wait let me get this straight so they came in looking for a job and you offered them full time and they said no give me part time because they wanted to keep their welfare.

They told you this, they sat in the interview and told you this ?
Or was this your assumption because they might have asked for a part time job because they have other responsibilities, however no your assumption is that must be to keep that welfare ?.

This sounds more like another of those hyperbolic welfare tales middle/upper class whites tell their kids around camp fires while they tell them how much their inheritance has tripled since the depression.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:33 PM

47 posts, read 45,005 times
I would think that people want these project-dwellers to stay in the projects and not spill over to the choice neighborhoods in the city. Its the projects, you know you're not vying to live there, nor are you clamoring to go to the "terrible" schools surrounding them. So while you're upset that they have iphones, sneakers, etc, "on your dime", they are not living high on the hog in terms of quality of life. Really, it's the projects...

Old 06-20-2016, 09:20 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,366,189 times
Rich whites burying their corporate welfare in Panama somewhere would have you believe minorities on EBT is the problem.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:23 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
All of them is jealous of them rich hood rats. How are they poor if they got iPhones and $300 sneakers? Welfare queens are richer than middle class.

You forgot all that BLING.

Last edited by Kefir King; 06-20-2016 at 10:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City